help windows\system32\config\system missing

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    Wow!...Thanks!...Going to try all this when I get home with my functioning CPU from work. Just seems like all normal avenues to fix this problem dont apply to me. The part that is perplexing is how my machine freezes when I push "1" to get to the c:\windows prompt...
    You're certainly welcome, twist'. :smiles:

Now, to help us in helping you, we need you to:
    1. Be very detailed in your posts - the more details and specifics, the better. (No one will ever complain around here about too long a post.)
      • For instance, what do you mean by this statement: "...The part that is perplexing is how my machine freezes when I push "1" to get to the c:\windows prompt..."
      • It's best to be very clear about what exactly you were doing or what was going on w/ the computer when you observed a particular error message.
    2. Answer all questions that we ask. This is very important as we often base what we will next advise you to do on how you answer our questions.
    3. Tell us everything that you do (step-by-step) & everything that you observe (what you see, hear & even smell).
    4. Finally, by all means, if you don't understand something, just let us know.

Now, lessee what's goin' on w/ your sick computer... :smiles:
  • edited February 2007
    :D

DFT worked!

A thousand thank you's. Our daughters baby pictures are saved!
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    :D

DFT worked!

A thousand thank you's. Our daughters baby pictures are saved!

:celebrate Congratulations, twist'! Glad it worked. Now, you need to start backing up your data regularly and frequently. Your computer's hard disk drive is not a safe place to store your data. It needs to be backed up to some other media (DVDs, an external hard disk drive, across your network, etc.) If you'd like to discuss backing up just let us know. We'll be more than happy to advise you on the subject.

Enjoy! Glad you got those baby pictures back! :smiles:
  • edited February 2007
    Hello

I've been getting the same error as everyone else (Missing/corrupt "C:\windows\system32\config\system") I've got the botable disk for XP Pro. I've tried:

- Rebooting (gives me the error)
    - Recovery console (gives me an error about a stop or something)
    - Reinstalling XP (gives me the same stop error)

and now I'm out of ideas...Any help is greatly appreciated :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    Moosh wrote:
    - Rebooting (gives me the error)
    - Recovery console (gives me an error about a stop or something)
    - Reinstalling XP (gives me the same stop error)...
    Write the exact error down and post it here. :)
  • edited February 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    Write the exact error down and post it here. :)

Okay when i reboot it says:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM, select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"

Then when I boot with the CD and go to recovery console/reinstall windows it stops me and says:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prvent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly instaled. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, diable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or diable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Techinical Information:

*** stop: 0x00000050 (0xC870F000, 0x00000001, 0x809904F2, 0x00000000)"
    edited February 2007
    Moosh wrote:
    ...stop: 0x00000050 (0xC870F000, 0x00000001, 0x809904F2, 0x00000000)"

According to Microsoft:
    This problem may occur if there is a conflict between Windows XP SP1 and the display adapter drivers that are currently installed.
    See if the advice in the link above helps.

If not, do you have a different Video Card you could put in there for troubleshooting purposes? Even a crummy old one (like a PCI card) might help get you to where you can get far enough into Windows to be able to work with the driver problem.

Also, it might pay to run Memtest-86 and make sure your RAM is sound. :)
  • edited February 2007
    Wait so the problem could be related to a hardware problem? The thing is that this problem occured when I was playing a game and it restarted my computer. It was running okay before...
    edited February 2007
    The PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error generally means one of two things:

1) Either a driver is trying to use a part of memory reserved for something else,

or

2) You have faulty RAM.

Running Memtest will answer #2 one way or the other. If your memory is fine then we have to find out what program is trying to use an area of memory which it shouldn't. The Microsoft page I linked you to indicates that it is your Video driver. :)
  • edited February 2007
    Okay I've downloaded Memtest but how do you use it? Sorry I'm alittle new to this kind of stuff
    edited February 2007
    Extract the files, then double-click the file named Install.bat. It will ask you the drive letter of your floppy drive and proceed to make a bootable disk. When that is done, reboot (make sure the floppy drive is the first boot device), then the rest is automatic. Once you see that it is on the second pass you ought to be good to go. :)
  • edited February 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    Extract the files, then double-click the file named Install.bat. It will ask you the drive letter of your floppy drive and proceed to make a bootable disk. When that is done, reboot (make sure the floppy drive is the first boot device), then the rest is automatic. Once you see that it is on the second pass you ought to be good to go. :)

Okay this is what I did:

- Extracted files
    - Dbl-Clicked install.bat
    - Pressed "A" and Enter on the black window (it disappeared automatically)
    - Took out the floppy and re-inserted in the other computer
    - Turned it on

then a blue screen appeared (it wasn't an error screen) it was something like "AwardsBios Config?" or something. It asked for a password but I didn't know it so I restarted.

Then it continued to run until I reached the same error: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \windows\system32\config\system

I'm not sure what to do now. But I'm very grateful for your help :D
    edited February 2007
    Moosh wrote:
    ...then a blue screen appeared (it wasn't an error screen) it was something like "AwardsBios Config?" or something. It asked for a password but I didn't know it so I restarted...
    Try leaving the box where you would enter the password blank and just hit Enter. The screen you are seeing is the BIOS setting menu and it sounds like you need to go in there and check your boot devices and make sure that the floppy drive is listed first. Look for an area named "Boot Sequence" or something like that. You'll probably have to use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate through the various screens and different options.
  • edited February 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    Try leaving the box where you would enter the password blank and just hit Enter. The screen you are seeing is the BIOS setting menu and it sounds like you need to go in there and check your boot devices and make sure that the floppy drive is listed first. Look for an area named "Boot Sequence" or something like that. You'll probably have to use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate through the various screens and different options.

I can't seem to get back to that screen...I tried using two different floppies but no success...
    edited February 2007
    Moosh wrote:
    I can't seem to get back to that screen...
    Try tapping the Delete key a few times as soon as you turn the computer on.

If that doesn't work, it may be that your motherboard uses a different key to enter the BIOS. What brand and model# is your MB?
    ...I tried using two different floppies but no success...
    Try the disk in a different computer to see if it works there.
  • edited February 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    Try tapping the Delete key a few times as soon as you turn the computer on.

If that doesn't work, it may be that your motherboard uses a different key to enter the BIOS. What brand and model# is your MB?

Try the disk in a different computer to see if it works there.

The Delete key got me back on that screen :) And I've tested the Memtest on this computer and it runs fine. Though I can't seem to get through the password field. I've tried the Enter key.
    edited February 2007
    Moosh wrote:
    ...I've tested the Memtest on this computer and it runs fine...
    I assume you mean the computer you're posting from and not the one that's got the problem. Is that right?
    ...Though I can't seem to get through the password field. I've tried the Enter key.
    A BIOS reset ought to get rid of the password. You need to do the following:

1) Unplug the computer from the wall.
    2) Remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard. (It looks like a watch battery.)
    3) Find the CMOS jumper (it's probably near the CMOS battery), move it to the "Clear" position and leave it there for ten minutes.
    4) Reverse the process by putting the jumper back in the "Normal" position, reinstall the CMOS battery, then plug it back in.

Once all of that is complete you should no longer be prompted for a password to get into the BIOS and set the floppy drive as the first boot device. :)
  • edited February 2007
    Phew...I've got it all reset. It brought me to the BIOS screen right after I turned it on. It's showing me options. Something like this:

Manual
    1300MHz
    1733MHz
    2167MHz
    2600MHz

I really have no clue to what this means...I'll be keeping it on for as long as you can reply because I don't want to screw this up now :p
    edited February 2007
    That's asking you to choose the speed of your CPU. You will probably also need to reset the date and time.

You might wish to consult this guide if you have any other items which you're not sure of. Of course, you may feel free to ask here, as well.

Once you get the little details out of the way, look for the Boot Sequence (which may go by a slightly different name) and set your floppy drive as the first boot device. When that has been taken care of you should be able to boot from your Memtest floppy and proceed with the test. :)
  • edited February 2007
    Alright I just set everything to default (hoping that'll work). After I ran the Memtest with success on boot :)

After 2 hours-ish of testing, it tells me this:

Memtest-86 v3.2
    Athlon XP (0.13) 2166mhz
    L1 Cache: 128 13289mb/s
    L2 Cache: 512k 4230mb/s
    Memory: 1024m 600mb/s
    Via Kt400(A) /600

Pass 42%
    Test 6%
    Test #6 [Moving Inversions, 32 bit pattern]
    Testing: 108k - 1024m 1024m
    Pattern: 00000010

Walltime - 1:57:22
    Cached - 1024m
    RsvdMem - 76k
    MemMap - e820-Std
    Cache - On
    Ecc - Off
    Test - Std
    Pass - 2
    Errors - 0
    Ecc Errs - *Shows Blank*

I'm keeping it on for tonight just in case :p
    edited February 2007
    Moosh wrote: »
    ...Test - Std
    Pass - 2
    Errors - 0...
    This shows the number of full passes you have completed. Since there are no errors, your RAM tests fine.

Since it's not a matter of a driver trying to use bad memory, it may well be the driver itself. Can you get into Safe Mode?
  • edited February 2007
    profdlp wrote: »
    Can you get into Safe Mode?

I've tried that but as it loads it tells me that windows\system32\config\system is missing/corrupted and it stops there.
    edited February 2007
    Try the advice found in this great guide.
  • edited February 2007
    Try the advice found in this great guide.

It was going smoothly until I reached the recovery console. When it asks me to choose a partition, I press 1 and enter and it comes to a blue screen (the stop error I reached a while ago). I'm getting alittle scared about this now because I need some of the files left on that computer, but I really appreciate that you've stayed with me up to now :)
    edited February 2007
    Do you have a different Video Card you could put in there for troubleshooting purposes? Even a crummy old one (like a PCI card) might help get you to where you can get far enough into Windows to be able to work with the driver problem.

Beg, borrow or steal one if you have to.

(If you steal one and get caught, please don't mention me to the cops. :vimp: )
  • edited February 2007
    Beg, borrow or steal one if you have to.

(If you steal one and get caught, please don't mention me to the cops. :vimp: )

Heh, I used the one in this computer. (I'm not too sure but the video card is the one with the monitor connetion right?) Anyways, it was no good. I went to the recovery console but I still got the stop error.
  • edited February 2007
    Anyone know what causes this error? This is the 2nd time in 2 months that I've had this happen. I'm tech savvy and don't need help fixing it but would love to avoid having it happen in the first place.
  • edited February 2007
    Hello Twist2piper. Welcome to Short Media!

Have you tested any of your system hardware yet? If not, the 1st things to rule out are your HDD and your memory.

Please, go HERE and download MEMTEST86.

Go HERE as well and download DFT (Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test).

You will need to create bootable CDs using the ISO image files you downloaded.

If you don't have an utility to create the bootable CDs, you can go HERE and download BURNCDCC - a free ISO utility.

Run the Hitachi DFT Advanced test on your HDD then run MEMTEST86 - preferably overnight or until it produces errors.

If you need help at all or have any questions, just let us know here.

Hi i'm new to the forum and when i noticed twister2piper's problem I realised he had the very same problem i have now with both the 'windows\system32\config\system' error message and the inability to repair it, restore xp.. infact more or less the inability to do anything without it freezing.

So i am happy to have found the post which i have quoted but i have another problem. I can't seem to get DFT to start on my laptop, i tried Memtest86 (memtest86+ infact) and it worked fine but im stuck with DFT.

All that happens is that after the first computer screen pops up instead of DFT booting it just apears to restart. I could use any suggestions from anyone on how to get this going.

Thank you.
  • edited February 2007
    I have read all 14 pages of this tread.. I have tried almost all of the links and fixes and none seem to work... I am getting the same error as everyone else.. missing or corrupt windows\system32\config\system.... I have some computer knowledge but not alot.. I really need some help here.. this is my boyfriends computer and he has a lab report due tomarrow and needs his computer.. If there is anyone out there that can help me i would REALLY appreciate it..

thanks
    Jodi
  • edited February 2007
    First off, this site is amazing, but I guess I am just a little slow...

Alright, I am having the same problem with my Alienware Area 51-M edition. I am terrified that I am going to lose all my information. I have the setup disk thing but the warning label on the back says I may lose all data permanently. How do I get around it? I'm pretty my a computer noob, so I need to be walked thru. if anyone could send me a message I would very much appreciate it.

Laptop's recent past:
    I recently updated my graphics driver
    I computer seemed to be have overheating problems and would shutdown randomly either being in my lap, on a desk, or even once with the vent/fan was completly uncovered.

Inside my Laptop:(sorry I don't know what's need so I'm listing it all)
    Area 51-M
    Area 51M 5500 15.4" WXGA Grey kit display
    Pentium M 740 1.73GHZ 2mb 533FSB Processor
    Samsung 512MB DDR2 PC4200 Sodimm
    Hitachi 80GB 5400RPM PATA Hard Drive
    5500 Nvidia GO 6600 256MH DDR1 MXM2 video card
    8X DVD+/-RW NEC
    Intel pro wireless mini-pci 2915ABG LAN module wireless network
    Intel mobile integrated high-definition audio sound card
    Microsoft windows XP MCE 2005 COA operating system
    Cyberlink powerdvd 5.0 oem 6 channel MCE version operating system
    Owner Identification card operating system

Peripherals:
    Mobile owner manual display
    Windows XP MCE intel recovery cd V5111 operating system
    Nero express cd with nero vision express software V6.0.0.16C optical drive

EDIT

Alright, I've been reading through this thread, but I'm still kind of lost. I put the disk in that says:
    ALIENWARE
    Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    System Recovery DVD-ROM
    The software included
    on this recovery
    CD-ROM was
    Preinstalled on your hard
    Drive at the factory and
    may only e used for
    backup and recovery of
    your Alienware
    computer system
    Performance of the
    software is the sole
    responsibility of
    Alienware
    For distibution only with a new alienware PC
    SFT-XPMCEINTLV5111

But the computer doesn't respond to it. It just tries to reboot, and brings the sys32 missing or corrupt error message. Then when I press r it just cycles back through the rebooting steps and back to the error message again. I've tried turning the laptop off manually and back on with the disk inside...but to no avail. :aol:
    BTW, my warrenty is up so there is no way I can afford to send it back to Alienware.
    EDIT again

I've been through alienware tech support, and I've taken out my whole disk drive to clean it I guess...but my computers has had problems recently where it doesn't like to read dvds for some reason.