help windows\system32\config\system missing

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    Okey-dokey, just wanted to make sure that you were in the right place.

Zoltain, (and everyone else who is still beset with this problem), see if this handy guide will save your bacon. :)
  • edited November 2006
    Ahh... it looked like this one would work too since you need to be in c:\> but it does not for me. When i Type C:ATTRIB –H C:\BOOT.INI it says this file cannot be opened. :confused::confused::confused: . Why is my computer soo screwed up????? Thank you though for taking the time to help :bigggrin:
  • jonny_hjonny_h godalming, surrey
    edited November 2006
    hey guys, new user here!

i got the old windows\system32\config\system missing screen as so did the world. i am a novice pc user. i can boot from cd but dont know hoe to get on system recovery! how do i?

thx jonny xx
    edited November 2006
    jonny_h wrote:
    ...i can boot from cd but dont know hoe to get on system recovery! how do i?...
    profdlp wrote:
    ...see if this handy guide will save your bacon. :)
    Read and heed. :thumbup
  • edited November 2006
    Hi,

I'm getting the same problem but on different situation, I had put 1GB SD Ram in total i.e. i've 2 512 mb RAMs .. But when I removed 1 slot it worked perfect. I tried again then got the same problem.

Is it the hardware or OS problem?

Could anybody please help me on this problem?

Thanks Bimlesh
    edited November 2006
    Run Memtest-86, on each stick individually and then on both sticks together.
  • edited November 2006
    Hi,

I am the latest victim of the system32\config\system problem which occurred after a restart of my computer. I booted from the XP cd and through the recovery console tried to repair the config files according to the microsoft and kelly's guidelines but the system file is missing. What can I do now?
  • edited November 2006
    Tex wrote:
    No this isnt win98 thank god.

Boot from the cd. Do NOT do a repair using recovery console. proceed like you were doing a fresh install but BEFORE you select which disk to install to it will look for previous installs and ask if you want to repair it. DO NOT INSTALL A NEW COPY! Hit "r" to repair bt only when it shows you the previous install disk/directory not at the revovery console prompt!

If it does not see the old install post back as the filesystem is just corrupt and it can't read the boot.ini and I'll walk you through that repair. It isnt hard. And no she isnt going to lose any files as long as the disk is operating properly!

I've done this maybe... A hundred times.

Tex

Hey Dear Tex,
    Thanx for the help...
    I was for a longg time wondering about finding the system file in config folder..to backitup..and was unsuccessfull.
    but yes now this simple tech helps a lott.
    thanx in advance.
    ciao
    Take care!
    sumeet
  • edited November 2006
    Hey,

I've been having the same problem, one day the good old error message appeared and could not boot from cd (because it just restarted) or floppy disks (because it said File \biosoinfo.inf could not be loaded). I recently tried plugging the offending HDD into my other pc as a slave and backed up all my files onto dvds, which is a start I suppose. I then tried replacing the \windows\system32\config\system file in the brokedn HDD with one from yet another pc. Now when i try to load windows i dont even get the error message saying the file \windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt, the computer just restarts. Again cant boot from floppy of cdrom. I'm starting to get really frustrated with this. I've been browsing so many forums and no-one seems top have a solution apart from grabbing a sledge hammer and smashing the things to pieces, which believe me is something I feel like doing at the moment. I know its a long shot but I dont suppose anyone has come up with a solution yet?
  • vanvan
    edited December 2006
    Hello everyone.

This post saved me from reformatting. Thank you!

Current problem:
    After restoring the system (registry.bak), XP pro doesn't seem to know that it's been updated with service pack 2 etc. As a result, windows update no longer works nor does install shield.

Here's the error message displayed when I try to install Microsoft Reader:

" IntallShield engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. The RPC server is unavailable. "

Thanks in advance for your help.

- van
    edited December 2006
    van wrote:
    ..." IntallShield engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. The RPC server is unavailable. "...
    Not quite the same error, but this info seems to provide a number of possible solutions for the general problem. :)
  • vanvan
    edited December 2006
    Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I had tried these steps before posting. I'm still searching for something that works. If you should see something else, please post it here.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Go to start -> run -> type MSCONFIG

Go to the services tab. Hit DISABLE ALL+apply. Reboot.
    When back into windows, repeat the same thing except this time hit ENABLE ALL+apply, then reboot.
  • vanvan
    edited December 2006
    Thanks. The problem persists. Here's the error message I get when running Windows update:

Failed Updates
    For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each problem description.
    edited December 2006
    You could try running the System File Checker and see if that makes a difference:

Open a Command Prompt, type in sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

Make sure your Windows CD is in the drive when you begin.
  • vanvan
    edited December 2006
    Thanks again. sfc /scannnow was the first diagnostic I ran upon accessing the desktop. The problem persists. I'm still researching this too, so if I should find a solution first I will post the fix here. Any other recommendations?
  • edited December 2006
    I'm having the same problem, but I have an OEM version of Windows Home Edition. When I enter "cd \" Recovery Console, I get a "There is no Floppy Disk or CD in the Drive message" The only way I could get into the Recovery Console was by using a back up of an old Windows XP Pro disk. Is there anyway I can get into cd \? Also, it doesn't ask me which WINDOWs directory it wants at start up, it also doesn't ask me what Admin password either. So when I start up, its not "C:\WINDOWS\" Its "C:\" I also cannot access "md tmp" it gives me the message "Access is denied"
  • edited January 2007
    Hello
    wonder if you could help having same problem?
    but i dont have windows xp disc? as it was pre installed?

any ideas how i could repair it?

claire
  • edited January 2007
    My friend has a Gateway and he's getting the same error message. I've tried booting the system with the 2000 and XP startup discks to no avail. Each time we try it defaults back to the \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced error message that prompts us to attempt to repair using the 2000 set up from floppy or CD-ROM. A boot disk I made gets me a non-system disk message. Any suggestions on how to get him back up and running again?
  • edited January 2007
    Hi, I am new to this so please be forgiving if I'm not doing this correctly!

I am suffering from the problem stated at the beginning of this thread, the system32\system missing etc. screen when I switch my laptop on. Now, there is a lot of help available on this site, which I am very grateful for, but I just wanted to check if this help applies to laptops as well...I probably sound very stupid asking that but I'm not very confident with computer problems, or any of the abbreviations you guys use, so please be patient with me!

I have read the article published on this website by Thrax, so would you recommend just getting stuck in with the steps on that? Although, I'm not sure that putting the CD and praying it will load works...as you keep mentioning 'booting from the disc', so does that mean a command has to be typed in? Sorry if I'm the 100th person to request help on this, but after reading the first page of this article I was supremely confused! I can't actually do anything for 2 days as the disc is at University, but I'd like some idea of what to do. Thankyou for reading this far, I look forward to any help offered!!
  • edited January 2007
    I've got the same system config problem and none of the fixes in this thread have helped. I'm pretty sure mine is due to an improper shutdown, not hardware troubles. My XP Home CD won't boot up, and the floppies I made get stuck on disk 2 (error code 7). I just can't get past that point to try other suggestions.

How about this unglamorous solution: I install a new HD, load it with XP. and use it to access data on the old one? Alternatively, can I just remove my old HD and use a different computer to get the data fro it? I'm pretty sure from where this thread has taken me that this can work, but am I going to need to find a different 20-page thread to make it work? (<-- exasperation showing) At this point I couldn't care less what happens to the old HD as long as I can get the data. (Many thanks to everyone who's tried to help so far.)

I have a Dell Dimension desktop, 100+ gig HD, using XP Home
    edited January 2007
    rowanart wrote:
    ...How about this unglamorous solution: I install a new HD, load it with XP. and use it to access data on the old one? Alternatively, can I just remove my old HD and use a different computer to get the data from it?...
    Either of those methods stand an excellent chance of working.

Let us know how it goes. :)
  • edited January 2007
    My original error message was "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

I was finally able to use get re-downloaded XP floppies to work and I've been able to follow the instructions from the kellys-korner file up to this point:

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto (To cancel, press ENTER)? 1

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config>dir system
    The volume in drive C has no label
    The volume Serial Number is 7c7a-ff51

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system

01/16/07 09:33p -a

8388608 SYSTEM
    1 file(s) 8388608 bytes
    7053619200 bytes free

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config>

Now what? The instructions mention skipping to Step 3 under certain circumstances (am I at that point?), but I'm not sure which step is step 3 anyway. Is this where I "Type copy c:\windows\repair\system , and then press ENTER"?

As if I didn't sound dense enough already, if indeed it IS time to type in the above, at which specific prompt do I type it in? While not a computer illiterate, my formative years were spent with a Mac and so I never became familiar with the nuances of <shudder> MS DOS. Thanks again.

Rowan
    edited January 2007
    Just so I'm sure where things stand, did you get this far?
    Type dir system , and then press ENTER.

If you cannot run the preceding command successfully (because the file is missing), skip to step 3. If you can run the preceding command successfully, type ren system system.bak , and then press ENTER.

What happened when you typed ren system system.bak and then hit {ENTER}?
  • edited January 2007
    Assuming from your response that "ren system system.bak" is the appropriate entry to make at the point I described above, I entered it and here are the results:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config>ren system system.bak

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config>copy c:\windows\repair\system
    The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config>

Rowan
  • edited January 2007
    I couldn't copy "system" for a very good reason; I find that no version survives in that directory. The other files such as sam and security copied fine but of course that doesn't help a lot. I'm guessing I can import the "system" file from another computer, or from some online source, but how? (I'd have to use a thumb drive in a USB (1) port to do it.) Thanks again -- I'm still trying to add to this thread's success rate.
    edited January 2007
    At this point, a repair Install would probably be the simplest. You shouldn't lose any data and your programs ought to work afterwards just like they did before.
  • edited February 2007
    Hello Everyone,

Wanted to start off by saying I've exstensively researched this problem I'm having. Our 2004 XP Dell laptop was working fine one night, then the next morning I got the following message:

windows could not start because the following file i mising or corrupt:
    \windows\ytem32\config\system

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the orginal setup CD-rom.
    Selet "r" a the first sreen to start repair

I understand the problem is usually easily fixed, but I've tried every method out there and nothing that usually fixes the problem has worked.

- I used the XP boot disc and pushed "R" to launch the restore function from Windows and it freezes after I select "1" so I cannot get to the command prompt to delete and copy the register files

- Tried launching in safe mode, froze

- Tried launching from last functioning restore point, froze

- Tried re-installing XP as a new install just to save the machine and it freezes while searching for previous versions

- Tried everything, it seems. Is all hope lost??

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, we're more concerned about saving the machine than data on it...don't want to have to buy a new laptop and would settle for starting XP over from scratch.

TIA
    :rolleyes:
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    Hello Twist2piper. Welcome to Short Media!

Have you tested any of your system hardware yet? If not, the 1st things to rule out are your HDD and your memory.

Please, go HERE and download MEMTEST86.

Go HERE as well and download DFT (Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test).

You will need to create bootable CDs using the ISO image files you downloaded.

If you don't have an utility to create the bootable CDs, you can go HERE and download BURNCDCC - a free ISO utility.

Run the Hitachi DFT Advanced test on your HDD then run MEMTEST86 - preferably overnight or until it produces errors.

If you need help at all or have any questions, just let us know here.
  • edited February 2007
    Wow!

Thanks!

Going to try all this when I get home with my functioning CPU from work. Just seems like all normal avenues to fix this problem dont apply to me. The part that is perplexing is how my machine freezes when I push "1" to get to the c:\windows prompt...