We're working on it :)

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2003 in Community
Detroit is a warzone. Don't believe what the media says, daytime looting is occuring, it is chaos embodied at the moment.

I am checking in from the short-media datacenter in southfield. Our DNS servers are being moved across town and installed in a facility with 3 months worth of backup power.

Trust me when I say we're working on it.

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I love you baby! Does this mean teh addaboy gets moved too? (please say yes, teh kanez0rz craves teh Teeeeee 1!)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    We have enough power in the datacenter to last approximately until 6PM tomorrow evening EST. After that, it depends on getting fuel shipments. Detroit may not get reliable power until Sunday at the earliest. Prime packed up his office into his truck (12+ systems) and got out of Dodge. We will keep you updated as best we can!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    That has gotta suck so much. I bet it's gonna cost some billions ;[
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Thanks for getting things up and running Prime. Sorry for wasting your cellphone battery. :)
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited August 2003
    Good luck man :thumbsup:
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    General Keebler said
    We have enough power in the datacenter to last approximately until 6PM tomorrow evening EST. After that, it depends on getting fuel shipments. Detroit may not get reliable power until Sunday at the earliest. Prime packed up his office into his truck (12+ systems) and got out of Dodge. We will keep you updated as best we can!

General Keebler said

General Keebler said

Oops!

Keep your head on Brian and great work getting things moved so quickly!

I feel for your neighbour though, damn punks.:banghead:
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited August 2003

edited August 2003
    TBonZ said

(snip keebler quotes)

Oops!

TBonZ said

;D You too! :p

Posting is all fuxored... it kept hanging when I click the submit button
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    déjà vu
    edited August 2003
    déjà vu
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited August 2003
    Does anyone know the updated IP to addaboy?

And at least this is working. They say it will take 2 weeks to get the Nuclear Power plant out there to full operation.

Psst.
    For a temporary fix, place the following into the hosts file:
    198.64.189.142 www.short-media.com
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    We all know that it is completely out of your hands. Watching it on the news over here you have the "experts" who think they know it all telling you what they "think" happened. You never see the things like Prime describes. The people who are going out looting need to be shot, the slightest excuse and they are off taking what they can.

We will still be here once its all said and done :thumbsup:
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited August 2003
    Well all I can say is stay safe and thanks for getting SM back up, for time being anyway:)
  • SouriatSouriat Nottingham, UK
    edited August 2003
    Hope it gets fixed soon for all of you affected, hard to imagine going a few days with no power really.

The looting situation sucks though, its a shame how people tend to react in situations like this :(.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2003
    Glad to have S-M back, Well done guys.
    You don't know what you've got till it's gone, How true. I remember power cuts years ago and it was horrible. How much we take for granted.

bothered.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    it seems that the national guard would be deployed there to stand off the looting ...thats what they do here in a blackout.
    edited August 2003
    And they say New Yorkers are rude??? Pfffffttttt.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    No power? Detroit? LOOT IT ALL!

//EDIT: 8 posts in a row after an hour. Talk about delayed gratification.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited August 2003
    Well, I had a very positive experience. I'm in the co-location business and managed services, and everyone I delt with was very level headed and calm. Amazing given the circumstances.

But also, I don't own property inside the city of detroit. Thats a rough place to do business regardless of a state of emergency.
    edited August 2003
    I understand there will be problems, but how come there is such a delay in posting. Navigating the forum is as quick as hell but when you try to post sometimes there is a hell of a delay.

I tried to post before and it took an hour to register the post :(

edit..... but this one only took a few secs, strange.

For people reading this, when you click reply please dont click submit reply repeatedly everything is running slow and you will end up with multiple replies. I ended up with 7 in one thread before :D. Just a warning.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2003
    I can FINALLY Get in

Thanks Primesuspect!
  • edited August 2003
    not sure if you got the PM I tried to send pime, so I'll try posting it:

If you need any help with anything, I'm in Farmington Hills w/ nothing to do, so just lemme know if you need me.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Since I'm not going to dinner now, I'm in Royal Oak here with nothing to do. SMJ'd give me a ride if ya need a hand from two willing techies. :D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    So THAT's why I lost all DNS to Short-Media. Congrats to all concerned for getting it back up.

John (who has been busy getting clients de-Blastered and getting a defective power supply replaced and doing some accounting and Blaster research).
    edited August 2003
    I called Prime with the posting problem. Apologies if I accidently post this 30 times :p
    edited August 2003
    I called Prime with the posting problem. Apologies if I accidently post this 30 times :p
    edited August 2003
    edited August 2003
    General Keebler said

General Keebler said

General Keebler said

Not 30, just 3 ;)
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited August 2003
    The blackout affected our server on Friday. Now Short-Media is powered by 1000 gallons of diesel fuel.

Replying to posts may appear to stall. Do not click SUBMIT REPLY repeatedly. Try refreshing your browser or simply close and repopen the browser and your post should be there. This reply lag is most likely caused by other servers, routers, DNS updates, tired mice that are out of our control.

We thank you for your patience.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Let's see how your idea works.