Farm back up!

TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
edited August 2003 in Folding@Home
I'm affected as are many more of us by the power blackout so in light of this (no pun intended), am keeping things off and unplugged until things get stable.

The power is so dirty at my house (at the gf's now) that my computers are underpowered to the point where this isn't enough juice left over to operate my case fans, they all sound like they're dying. :banghead:

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    yeah I'd say you're doing the right thing there terry ...good luck and hope you guys get power back real soon. we were without elect for 5 days after hurricane lili last year and boy was that rough. try to find ice and drinking water asap.

edit/: oh yeah gotta have batteries!!!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    TBonZ said
    I'm affected as are many more of us are by the power blackout so in light of this (no pun intended), am keeping things off and unplugged until things get stable.

The power is so dirty at my house (at the gf's now) that my computers are underpowered to the point where this isn't enough juice left over to operate my case fans, they all sound like they're dying. :banghead:

pfft...a real folder would hop on a bicycle, and power the entire farm with his own effort :(
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I'm keeping just essential items up for a few days until I knew we're in the clear. Having 3 PCs running 100% 24/7 isn't the best idea right now. I'll be leaving the PCs off throughout the weekend, most likely.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited August 2003
    This just lets those not affected rise up in the rankings! See, even though this sucks, some good does come out of it! Hahahahaha.

I don't fold for #93, though . . . all the guys I fold against (that are still active) live in Texas, so we're unaffected. Drats!
    Oh well, about 10-11 days ago I was about 3500 points behind the top guy on the team, but now I'm only 719 points behind. Too bad he doesn't live in NY :D

// Edit: I keep getting 2500 frame WUs, what is up with that?
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Dont worry about it. With things the way they are over there then it is understandable. I just hope your power is sorted out soon.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Things are stabilizing but we're still not out of the woods yet, I'm thinking Tuesday at the earliest before switching everything back on.:(

On another note, I'm not sure if it's dirty power I'm getting at home or that my PSU's are damaged somehow but every machine is making whining noises originating from my fans. It sounds like; "WHirrrRRRrrrrRRRrrrrrrrRrrrrRRRrrrrrRRR", and my HDD's sound like they're working extremely hard to spit data out. I can't really know for sure until later this week, one thing I do know for sure is that I cannot afford to buy 4 new PSU's. :banghead:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    Yeah good idea there Terry. No need to draw a lot of power in a shortage esp with the noises your computer is making.
    edited August 2003
    I agree, just to be on the safe side you dont want to damage something for the sake of a day or 2.
    edited August 2003
    I got home lastnight and turned on my main rig, fans powered up to full speed and seemingly everything looks ok with my PSU but after 10 minutes of operation, WHIrrrRRRrrrrRRRRrrrr, this lasted approx. 3 minutes and then things went back to normal. This morning powered up before going to work and everything again sounded fine, had the computer up for 30 minutes with no fan problem so dirty power it was and my PSU's are fine (thankfully), tomorrow it should be safe to turn the farm back on, my fingers are crossed. :)
    edited August 2003
    Great news :thumbsup: I am glad things are getting back to normal for you guys.
    edited August 2003
    Thanks Nec, so am I.
    edited August 2003
    redoulent said
    I say we hook up a natural gas generator up to Tbonz via a special lubricated hose to power his systems! I would personally be willing to supply him with as much gas inducing food as required! I'll give til it hurts for folding! :eek2:

Be afraid, be very afraid :eek2::eek3::wtf::werr:
    edited August 2003
    Necropolis_uk said
    redoulent said
    I say we hook up a natural gas generator up to Tbonz via a special lubricated hose to power his systems! I would personally be willing to supply him with as much gas inducing food as required! I'll give til it hurts for folding! :eek2:

Be afraid, be very afraid :eek2::eek3::wtf::werr:

I'm always afraid. ;D
    edited August 2003
    All my machines are fine, thank goodness.

...but, I'm not turning them all on yet (only 1), the power grid is still flaky and am concerned about using more than my share of power (call me responsible).

OK, not really responsible but with t1rhino sucking all the power back in TO, I figure I'd be a nice guy and give him my share so he can run all those power sucking dual xeon machines. ;D
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited August 2003
    TBonZ said

...but, I'm not turning them all on yet (only 1), the power grid is still flaky and am concerned about using more than my share of power (call me responsible).

OK, not really responsible but with t1rhino sucking all the power back in TO, I figure I'd be a nice guy and give him my share so he can run all those power sucking dual xeon machines. ;D

:respect: Thanks Tbonz... That's so nice of you to offer your portion of the power grid. I don't need it though b/c all the xeons are running of our factory generator. Maybe I can use your power for my home a/c then. ;)
    edited August 2003
    t1rhino said
    TBonZ said

Maybe I can use your power for my home a/c then. ;)

You got it until Friday. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2003
    Farm's up and running, expect me to be assuming my quest to get back into the top 10! :thumbsup:
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited August 2003
    You have a lot of ground to cover. Hope you can do it!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    And all the people said, "Amen".:)
  • BDRBDR
    edited August 2003
    :thumbsup: