New prospect

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited August 2003 in Folding@Home
I just convinced my student manager to put F@H on the new hard drive image we will be doing in the coming weeks for the 18 lab machines here where I work :D

:rockon:

It's likely they will be folding under the lab name rather than mine, but they will definitely get set to team #93 :cool:

On August 24 all my friends I recruited will be returning to their always-on connection here on campus. Watch out for a modest jump in my capacity :)

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    General Keebler said
    On August 24 all my friends I recruited will be returning to their always-on connection here on campus. Watch out for a modest jump in my capacity :)

Oh well at least 1 new machine is better than none ;)

Glad to hear we have new folding power on the way, we need it at the moment :thumbsup::respect:
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited August 2003
    Keebs is da man. :respect:
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2003
    w00t w00t for Keebs, you the man bro. Any increase in power for the team is great, and we could always use more.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    Sweet, this Team needs it.:)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    That is really good news. Make sure that they know that once it's official they'll get the good old Team 93 Welcome.

And I'm glad to hear about your personal surge in point production - just when I was creeping up on you... :thumbsup:
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited August 2003
    Great news Keebs!
    We really need the boost. :respect:
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Represent!!! :fold:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Did I mention they are all brand new P4 2.4 GHz systems? :D
    edited August 2003
    General Keebler said
    Did I mention they are all brand new P4 2.4 GHz systems? :D
    Nice. Major foldage :fold::respect::respect::respect::thumbsup:
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited August 2003
    keebs you are definitly the man! nice work :thumbsup:
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited August 2003
    Make sure you feed them some gromacs. The peefours like them better than tinkers.
    edited August 2003
    t1rhino said
    Make sure you feed them some gromacs. The peefours like them better than tinkers.
    All proper flags will be engaged :)
    edited August 2003
    I have good news, and bad news.

The bad news first. The boss above my student manager shot our installing the software independantly in the foot. I do not expect it to happen in the near future.

The good news is that he spent half an hour discussing a plan of action with us to revisit the prospect of a campus-wide deployment. We'll need to resolve several issues, including a case for why F@H should be chosen over the 50 other active distributed computing projects for our patronage and how to resolve possible network usage issues (even minimal usage seems to be a big deal on our over-burdened network).

This process will likely take several weeks, which is probably just as well because these next two weeks will be chaotic here as freshman arrive and that's generally not the best time to make new business pitches. Also, there's the issue of whether the college would want to form their own team. I will attempt to stear them away from that and towards a username for the entire college instead if we get that far.

We could get stonewalled next week, or in a month I may have 200 computers folding. It depends on a lot. Cross you fingers as always.
    edited August 2003
    In one way its :thumbsdow :shakehead :bawling: and in the other its :thumbsup::respect: :celebrate :fold:

I hope you can get it going mate

And where the hell did this come from :kneel:
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Damn, you will be the man to watch out for.

Good luck on the campus wide deployment!
    edited August 2003
    Man that would be nice if you get a lab going, even better if you got the whole campus folding. 18 2.4ghz machines would be right up there with csimon and his lab.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    As I'm the administrator of two private networks at school this year, the good lab has 23 600MHz durons on it. It ain't much, but I'm going to install folding on one of them and keep an eye on the temps. If it's ok, all of them get it.
    edited August 2003
    That would be great as well Thrax.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2003
    Thrax, if you can, I'd take them apart, make sure all the fans are spinning and not making bearing noises, clean them all out, apply some new thermal compound, re-route the cables, and put them back together. Shouldn't take much more than an hour per system, if that, which is 23 hours. Spread out over a few weeks, that's not a lot...
    edited August 2003
    Thrax said
    As I'm the administrator of two private networks at school this year, the good lab has 23 600MHz durons on it. It ain't much, but I'm going to install folding on one of them and keep an eye on the temps. If it's ok, all of them get it.
    Looking forward to that! :thumbsup:
    mmonnin said
    That would be great as well Thrax.
    Amen.
    Geeky1 said
    Thrax, if you can, I'd take them apart, make sure all the fans are spinning and not making bearing noises, clean them all out, apply some new thermal compound, re-route the cables, and put them back together. Shouldn't take much more than an hour per system, if that, which is 23 hours. Spread out over a few weeks, that's not a lot...
    Geeky1 - you ought to be in politics. You have a natural talent for spending other people's resources. ;D

However, I agree with you 100%! :thumbsup:
    edited August 2003
    A nice cleaning would help a lot with temps. Mine went down 6.5 degrees the other day after cleaning.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    OH come on! I'm in charge of these systems...

My computers receive meticulous cable routings, and weekly cleanings.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2003
    OH come on! I'm in charge of these systems...

I know. That's what has me worried. Those poor Durons. ;D;D;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    When I returned from Operation Iraqi Freedom in June, the Folding Team seemed to be a tad disoriented over it's forced move following the demise of the former Icronticforums. There was a bit of mild hand wringing, and concern that we had lost our spirit. :banghead:

NOT SO! We ARE on a rebound. Catch the spirit. Pass around the enthusiasm! :wave::fold: :thumbup
    edited August 2003
    I don't want to sound corny, and I do kid the guy a lot, but I want to thank General Keebler once again for his sterling work during The Upheaval.
    It meant a lot to me to be greeted with such a warm welcome, and his infectious optimism kept my spirits up throughout the whole ordeal. I'm going to go back to giving you a hard time, but for now it's :respect::respect: Keebs
    edited August 2003
    :) Thanks prof