How long should it take...

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited August 2003 in Folding@Home
For a P3-500 to process a Genome? I've got the PC here at work doing genomes now, because I can only run it 4 hours a day, and genomes don't have deadlines... So how long should this pig take to process a genome? It's been running for a bit now and I haven't seen it reach the first save point (5/600)... grr :shakehead

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    Its hard to tell since it might be at the beginning or end of a frame complettion. If it does 1% a day I would run it. I have a P2 333 running 24/7/
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    If it does 1% a day I would run it.

You Marc, are the epitome of a true believer ! :respect:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Sweet... It looks like it takes about an hour to reach a frame completion point, it goes by increments of 20. So about 30 hours or so to finish a genome WU... but I'm leaving the PC running over the weekend. I can only do that over weekends, though...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Okay... forget that crap. I've got it doing Gromacs now and it will take 85 hours or so to do this 2500 frame 51.4 pointer. Finishes about four 25 blocks per work-night... 22 work days if I only run it at work. That wouldn't make the deadline, so I leave it running over the weekends... brings me about an extra 50 points per week that way, right?
    edited August 2003
    Sounds good to me.:)
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited August 2003
    And if you overclock that bad boy to, say, 550 or so, you should get about 10% more performance, giving yourself a little bit of wiggle room should the power go out or something. (Mod the BIOS to overclock if you have to!!!!!)
    GHoosdum said
    Okay... forget that crap. I've got it doing Gromacs now and it will take 85 hours or so to do this 2500 frame 51.4 pointer. Finishes about four 25 blocks per work-night... 22 work days if I only run it at work. That wouldn't make the deadline, so I leave it running over the weekends... brings me about an extra 50 points per week that way, right?
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    i had two 450mhz machines...they were folding until i realized how much of a waste of space they were...awww shucks..sumtimes i really wish i have sse on those sobs..at any rate..im currently selling the systems..as of now i sold one and i got a nifty 60 bucks...which is alllmost good enough for a motherboard...hopefully i will be able to sell off the other with the monitor and make an even nifitier 100...which means i only need like 40 bucks to get enough money for a 2500+...mwahahaha
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2003
    huh? 2500s are like $100...
    edited August 2003
    including mobo and RAM...so its like 200+ bux....
    edited August 2003
    450s work. They will complete andything on time.
    edited August 2003
    its not cost effective...nor is it space effective...if i have the ability to sell these things off...i will...immediatly...so i can buy parts for a 2500+
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I have a 750 PIII mobo and ram in my closet should i save up and buy a case for it and install windows and fold with it?
    edited August 2003
    but a cheap 20 dollar case..look on pricewatch..i just bought sumone a cheap case for no more than 18 bux..its ugly..but what do u expect...in addition to that r u sure u got a working powersupply and ran and videocard...its not worth more than say... 20 bux to restore...maybe even 30...but nething more.....dont bother...BUT u could send it my way :)
  • edited August 2003
    I have a Pentium 75 sitting around in the basment, should I get that folding? ;)

Also my sister has a P2 333 which she keeps on all the time. I've been hesitant to put F@H on, cause the CPU is busy enough as it is, and any cycles available for F@H would allow it to finish a WU in a couple months or so I'd imagine.
    edited August 2003
    the 75 is definatly not worth it...the 333 is...if ur patient
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited August 2003
    P2's (or anything without SSE for that matter) fold proteins like a retarded kid: not worth a damn. :)

You might be able to O/C your P3-500 to 585 if you can find some monster cooling for it, as I'm guessing that it's a Katmai (those ol' 512 KB 1/2 speed cache inferno chips) :)