Forum Design Updates

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited August 2003 in Community
Im sure a few have noticed some updates to the forums happening ;)

Profile button no longer shows up, instead the username links directly to the members profile :)

Quote box has had a tweak :)

News forum is sorted by thread creation date. Newest first, same as news hot threads.

<strike>Thread titles are removed from the navbar :)</strike> - Removed as general consensus hated it.

Users with no location filled in, no longer have a blank location field in their posts, the location doesn't show up.

These are all to clean up the look (and a primer to a new forum skin design).

Opinions? :)

Comments

• SouriatSouriat Nottingham, UK
    edited August 2003
    The thread titles as they are now seem a little too big (in 1280 so if they dont scale down eep :P), but other than that i like the changes, good job! :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Added little online/offline images... just not sure where to put them...

Ideas?? I was thinking move them to by the post time in the bottom left corner?

Opinions?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    They look good where they are. You need a little more contrast between the Offline color and the background. You can barely read Offline.
    edited August 2003
    Il have to do them again me thinks ;)

Il have a mess around :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Get rid of the ugly box around the offline/online

Or center it under location: city, state.

So it looks like:

edited August 2003
    Thrax said
    Get rid of the ugly box around the offline/online

Or center it under location: city, state.

So it looks like:

I like it... I used it :)
    edited August 2003
    w00t! :D
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited August 2003
    Yeah, I agree with Thrax. The box was unsightly. I like his suggestion. Hope it stays. :)
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited August 2003
    Would this work better...

/me likes color coded.

But that's just me. I think it just makes it easier to read, with it being black text I sometimes miss read it :crazy:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    Doesnt go with the colors of the site. It goes with the green of your AV and the red of your sig tho.
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited August 2003
    Maybe that's why I thought it fit ;D

Why don't we just change the all the colors of the site to match the status?

O well, it's all good. I guess I'll just have to read ;[
  • edited August 2003
    How about having the "Quick Reply" box subscribe you to the thread? Or at least have the choice to do so available in the user control pannel?
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited August 2003
    It's all good stuff, it's the little things which make all the difference. Good job.:thumbsup:
    edited August 2003
    TheSmJ said
    How about having the "Quick Reply" box subscribe you to the thread? Or at least have the choice to do so available in the user control pannel?

The addon hack to the 'quick reply' hack has never been updated to work with VBulletin 2.3.x :( I've made repeated attempts to work around this but It's not a happening with errors.
    edited August 2003
    I noticed profiles have changed as well. New layout.
    edited August 2003
    And now active users are at the top instead of the bottom.
    edited August 2003
    mmonnin said

What the? You keeping a record :scratch:
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited August 2003
    I like it. It does seem better. And red for offline and green for online would work pretty good.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited August 2003
    mmonnin said

Yeah, I'm not sure I like that. I prefer them at the bottom. Makes the page feel balanced.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    hehe...and for my next request.... could the "reset form" button on the quick reply be changed to "preview post." Sometimes I type out a reply, and would like to see what it looks like b4 I post it. Another forum I visit has it, and I find it very useful.
    edited August 2003
    shwaip said
    hehe...and for my next request.... could the "reset form" button on the quick reply be changed to "preview post." Sometimes I type out a reply, and would like to see what it looks like b4 I post it. Another forum I visit has it, and I find it very useful.

In a word.. no.

It's not been updated since 2.2.6 and it's not compatible with 2.3.0 :(

Sorry but this basic one is the only that doesn't screw up the bb.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I like the active users at the top. You've been busy while my internet was down, haven't you? :) Looks good.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Overall, I love the changes... Keeps me on my toes. The online /Offline is nice to see too.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I seem to be getting this:
    top.jpg 23.1K
    edited August 2003
    Shorty said
    mmonnin said

What the? You keeping a record :scratch:

I just noticed it.

Blackhawk: Thats what I see to, cept a no AV pic instead of yours.;)

Now you have to scroll to get to the news/hot threads at 1024*768 res. Make the top banner thinner, that would help. I think that takes up too much room anyway.
    edited August 2003
    Im planning on shrinking that considerably and making alot of the current information ... fall into a single box with dividers :)
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    No problems here with my 1280*1024. I like the changes my friend. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2003
    I don't like the "Who's on" at the top.

Personally, I think it takes up valuable eye-space at the top of the screen, and if I really cared who was on, I would scroll to the bottom.

Otherwise, it's like knowing who's in a building. Does anyone want to see a live update of those who are available right as they walk in the door, or would they prefer to retrieve the information themself with the clerk (In this case the user names at the bottom) if necessary.

No offense to people here, I just don't care if you're here (As you don't care I'm here) unless I need ya. Otherwise I'm just here to poke around and make myself useful, regardless of who's on.
  • edited August 2003
    Thrax said
    I don't like the "Who's on" at the top.

Personally, I think it takes up valuable eye-space at the top of the screen, and if I really cared who was on, I would scroll to the bottom.

Otherwise, it's like knowing who's in a building. Does anyone want to see a live update of those who are available right as they walk in the door, or would they prefer to retrieve the information themself with the clerk (In this case the user names at the bottom) if necessary.

No offense to people here, I just don't care if you're here (As you don't care I'm here) unless I need ya. Otherwise I'm just here to poke around and make myself useful, regardless of who's on.

I was going to say I liked it at first, but Thrax does bring up a good point. I guess I'm indifferent.

Then again, less we have something else to put there, what’s the point of moving the user status back to the bottom?

P.S.

I also believe the user status below the avatar should be color-coded red and green, as it makes it easier to read at a glance.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Usernames at the top of the main page

I like having the users at the top, as it's nice to see how busy the board is when I come online. If you're not bothered about it you don't have to look at it do you?

However, lets look to the future people. When we're the biggest tech site on the web :D with hundreds of people logged in constantly (think overclockers uk forums), if the online username list is at top of the screen, we'll all have to spend 30 seconds scrolling down to get to the proper stuff.

Therefore I give this idea: :thumbup for now and :thumbsdow for the future

Red/green user online/offline status

I definately don't like the idea of a red/green status. It's a nice idea in principal, but in practice:
    1. it will clash with the site colour scheme as Shorty pointed out;
    2. because all the other writing is in black it will draw needless attention.
    Although it's nice to see who's online, as Thrax pointed out if you don't care who's online then you won't want your attention drawn away by people's status.

Therefore I give this idea: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

~Cyrix