///GOAL ACHIEVED -- DVD R ORDERED///Please Help Boost Security for Short-Media

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited August 2003 in Folding@Home
This thread started diverging from it's original theme of members purchasing a new DVD R/RW drive for Short-Media site backups (here). As the thread now is moving towards the ancillary theme of generosity in general, or to donating to the Folding Team, it is now copied here. For those of you still in the generosity mode, please consider what you might like to do to further scientific research and to boost your world class Short-Media Folding Team!

DVD recorder is now ordered, thanks to your donations!

///GOAL ACHIEVED! What a generous membership we have. I am proud to be associated with you guys and gals.///
PLEASE STOP THE CONTRIBUTIONS FOR THE DVD RECORDER. IF YOU ARE STILL IN A PHILANTHROPIC STATE OF MIND, PLEASE CONTACT SEVERSPHERE, WHO IS THE ACCOUNTANT/FUND MANAGER FOR THE SHORT-MEDIA FOLDING@HOME DONATED COMPUTER PROJECT - "SMX". I'M SURE THE FOLDING TEAM WOULD GLADLY TAKE YOUR MONETARY OR COMPUTER PARTS DONATIONS. (YES, THIS IS A PLUG FOR THE FOLDING@HOME TEAM)

Huh? What's Leonardo talking about here? Simply put, I'm asking forum members to contribute in a material way to fortify the security of our great Web site.

Specifically, I am asking for donations to purchase a DVD burner for us.

Take a look. But Leo, isn't Short-Media a commercial site; don't the owners make money from advertisements? Yes, yes, no, no. By strict definition, yes, S-M is a commercial site. No, the three owners operate this site from a labor of love. They are out of pocket financially each month due to site hosting fees.

Here's were we step in - after all it's OUR site too. We need monetary donations to purcase a DVD recorder for off-site Short-Media site backups. Many of us here know the distress and frustration of our favorite tech site evaporating or being crippled. We WILL NOT let this happen to Short-Media.

I have been approved by the site administration to be a fund manager to purchase our burner. I have already made the first donation of $20. Please chip in. You can PayPal the account lharder@charter.net (PayPal site). We would also graciously accept money orders and personal checks.

I will keep strict accounting, and will provide a spreadsheet of the fund particulars to donors or prospective donors. All donors will receive a receipt from me. When donations exceed the purchase expense of a DVD recorder, I will: 1) refund those donors for the amount over the top of the expense, or 2) will donate the excess funds to the Short-Media Folding@Home Teams Donated Folding Computer Project. This would be at the direction of those donors whose contributions were in excess of expenses.

If any of you are uncertain of my trustworthiness, please look at my Heatware rating. (My Heatware name is "Linden" - the name I selected before I became an active trader at S-M or the former Icronticforums.) Feel free to consult anyone in my Heatware history about my integrity.

Any questions? Please email me at lharder@charter.net or PM me here at Short-Media.

When you send funds via PayPal, please include:
Short-Media name
real name
purpose of money transfer (S-M DVD Burner Donation, or such)

I will keep meticulous records.

OK, we are already up to $20. Who's next?

Thanks, my friends.

Lynn Harder
(Leonardo):wave::wave:

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I get paid on Wednesday so I should be able to spare £10 - £15.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    Leo wont cheat anyone out of his money and keeps good records of everyones transfers. I have seen his spreadsheet for the folding team when he was in charge.
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited August 2003
    I get paid Friday so after I have gone through what I need to and am going to spend, I will try and make a donation.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited August 2003
    10 Bucks comin your way ;]
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Money is already coming in! I'll save the recognition until this campaign is over.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED SO FAR!:wave:

Don't feel like your donation has to be large - it doesn't. A little bit here, a little bit there all adds up.

Leo:)
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Leo,
    YGPP = You Got PayPal!

There was no way I was going to let a cami wearing ground pounder pledge alone....us swabby wave-riders can't be outdone by an Army type!;)

Fly Navy.....and if you must, Army as well!
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I've donated £5 :) . It's not much I know, but I'm currently a jobless student waiting for my final year of Uni to start...

~Cyrix
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    You guys rule all over the place. You're ruling and ruling and ruling :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    $40.00 (US) on its way!!!
    edited August 2003
    :eek2: QCH2002! That's awesome! Thanks for being so generous!
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    QCH2002 said
    $40.00 (US) on its way!!!

What a guy :thumbsup:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2003
    Omega65 $10 Donation is in.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited August 2003
    :O we need to start a bidding contest... too bad i need all the money in my paypal account for headphones :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I figure I can always use the $$$ to buy more PC's stuff that I really don't need but S-M does needs the DVD burner. Consider my contribution as part of a "holy quest".
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    Put me down for $10, I wish it could be more.

And I'm with the Preacha - Navy, baby! :thumbsup:

(Former Machinist Mate - backbone of the fleet)
    :kneel:
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited August 2003
    $10 not so large ones coming your way! ;)

Regards

Jim
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2003
    When does the collection for the Dual Opteron 246 Server Start? ;D;D;D
    edited August 2003
    Gentlemen,

Your generosity is making me emotional. I am humbled. Please keep it coming; we are getting close to the goal. I don't what exactly the expense will be. As I stated previously, overflow will be returned to the donors whose donations take us over the threshold; or those donations can be applied to the Donated Folding@Home computer project - at donors' discretion.

If any donor has not yet received a receipt from me, please notify me and I'll quickly send you one.

:wave:
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited August 2003
    Just sent $15 US your way :D.
    edited August 2003
    Consider my contribution as part of a "holy quest".

Contribution received, oh noble Sir Knight. You may though, take back the 'shrubbery', as we didn't require it of you. :scratch:
    edited August 2003
    Is this NEC DVD RW-1300A
    a good price? Good drive? Value? Sorry, I don't have time this week to make it down to Office Max for their special.

We are just about there. If you all think we need higher performance (willing to spend more money), let me know; and I won't be so antsy.
    edited August 2003
    Just a suggestion, but as long as you don't need a Dual-Format drive, I'd go with the Pioneer A05. Top-rated drive until the A06 came out!

And a big hearty shout out and PROPS to profdlp for keeping the greatest Navy in the world sailing, submerging, and flying!
    :usflag:

No offense to our Canadian and UK brethren...
    :canflag:
    :ukflag:
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    $10US sent.
    edited August 2003
    No offense to our Canadian and UK brethren

In support of our UK members, they are rising to the challenge. On a membership per capita basis, they are WAY outpacing we North Americans in donations at this point.

I think a moment of respect with "Rule Britannia" playing in the background is in order. :o
    edited August 2003
    I stand corrected. God save the Queen!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    It'd be best to use a DVD-RAM drive in this case. The discs are capable of holding 9.4GB, are cheap, and readily available. DVD-RAM drives are cheaper retail than you can get most DVD-/+R/RW drives used.

The format is practically designed for file archival.
  • edited August 2003
    There's $20 more heading at you via Paypal, Leo.
    edited August 2003
    Received! Receipt issued.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    ..and $20 more.
    edited August 2003
    Leo, tell me about it! This is very humbling and it makes me so proud of being involved with this site! Damn, you guys totally rule! I will never be able to thank you enough.

Thank you! :rockon::mullet: