///GOAL ACHIEVED -- DVD R ORDERED///Please Help Boost Security for Short-Media

2»

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    :eek:

:respect: You guys rule.

I can't believe it. Was never expecting this at all.

/stunned
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2003
    Quote-
    the three owners operate this site from a labor of love. They are out of pocket financially each month due to site hosting fees.

I would suggest any 'overflow' goes towards site hosting fees. I would also suggest a button on the front page where you could make donations to the site. What d'ya say guys?

bothered.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Leonardo said

Contribution received, oh noble Sir Knight. You may though, take back the 'shrubbery', as we didn't require it of you. :scratch:

Uh... Ok. I guess you don't want that tree cut down either.... doesn't mater, the herring is slippery anyway.
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited August 2003
    I've rather enjoyed my Sony DRU510A DVD+/-R +/-RW
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    GOAL ACHIEVED! What a generous membership we have. I am proud to be associated with you guys and gals.

PLEASE STOP THE CONTRIBUTIONS FOR THE DVD RECORDER. IF YOU ARE STILL IN A PHILANTHROPIC STATE OF MIND, PLEASE CONTACT SEVERSPHERE, WHO IS THE ACCOUNTANT/FUND MANAGER FOR THE SHORT-MEDIA FOLDING@HOME DONATED COMPUTER PROJECT - "SMX". I'M SURE THE FOLDING TEAM WOULD GLADLY TAKE YOUR MONETARY OR COMPUTER PARTS DONATIONS. (YES, THIS IS A PLUG FOR THE FOLDING@HOME TEAM).

After the DVD drive is ordered, I will compensate the purchaser. At that time, I will determine whose donations took us over the top, that is, the contributions, in order of receipt by me that were in excess of the cost of the new drive. Following, I will privately contact those donors to determine their wishes for the use of the excess funds.

Those instructions of donors that I already received with some of the donations I will honor.

Leo
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I have $20 that was earmarked for the DVD but seeing how the goal has been achieved it'll be $20 for the SMx fund.

You guys rule! :rockon:
    edited August 2003
    Oh Noes! I forgot tell you guys about my brokerage fee. Fine print and all that good stuff. ;D;D:scratch:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    To everybody:

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Your generosity is legendary. Pat yourself on the back!
    edited August 2003
    Do you think we could get the members to upgrade the staff's Russian-made Lada limousine? Oh, my bag - I believe that was sold off with the old dismantled Icrontic site. I bet Tex is hiding it in a barn somewhere.
    edited August 2003
    Thank you, S-M members. Your site security will be improving significantly in just a few days. Primesuspect ordered this drive (Sony DVD Recorder Drive Model DW-U10A-WG ) today. I have reimbursed him for his purchase, to include shipping.

The fund still has over $40 left. Some of you already earmarked your money, should be the donations that took us over the goal, to be transferred to donated Folding rigs (SMX) fund. I'll honor your wishes. If your donation was not earmarked so, and was one that took us into excess (as measure by order in which donations were received), expect email or PM requesting your instructions.

Lyndon "Lynn" Harder
    Leonardo
  • SweetLouSweetLou Florida
    edited August 2003
    I wish I would saw this thread! I woulda donted my Pioneer dvd+r and say take the money and put it towards folding!
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    SweetLou said
    I wish I would saw this thread! I woulda donted my Pioneer dvd+r and say take the money and put it towards folding!

Thats very generous of you SweetLou, but that is above and beyond what we expect of our members.

Just keep on folding, thats all we ask :D:thumbsup:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    WTG everyone for making this site safer for everyone. What a team effort from everyone to make this site even better.:)

We may need to buy a motherboard for SM19 if one does not turn up. I may buy one tomorrow at ComputerFest which would end up being with the Team fund. Its getting harder and harder to find motherboads and cases. The Team Fund could use any extra donations if anyone wants to donate.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited August 2003
    SweetLou said

There is currently another donation fund going on. I need to back up my bible music folder and a dvd would be fantastic. Still willing to send it to me for free?
    edited August 2003
    whoa capown! dont think so! I was gonna give it to the site not a single user. And i have a KT400 Gigabyte board coming back on rma Ill donate that whaen i comes back in if you guys want it?
    edited August 2003
    and If your wondering " why would he donate a dvd burner " I got it for free! I built a guys pc and he knew i wanted one so he said " buy one and u can have it " I wanted to sony but i couldnt spend that much and feel good about it
    edited August 2003
    Leonardo
    Shwaip
    AlCapown
    Bothered
    Preacher
    QCH2002
    Jimborae
    Ian
    Omega65
    qparadox
    Muddoktor
    DanG
    General Keebler

Thanks for making it happen, gentlemen. You have greatly enhanced Short-Media site security.

Concerning donations to the Folding@Home donated computer project:

If you wish to donate money to that fund, please contact Seversphere; if you wish to donate computer components, please contact Mmonnin.

Cheers :wave:

Leo
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Um, you might, Leonardo, ask if excess donations can be used for reburnable DVD MEDIA until enough for two-three backups is purchased as part of this, if there is enough for burner and media. Media is part of backup costs, right????

I always use a Grandpa, Father, Son minimal backup rotation, with oldest backup Grandpa. numbering sets set 1, 2 and 3 and using first in numeric order would let you have three way backup and help keep track of use order. so DVDS in set one could be 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, etc. set two is 2-1, 2-2, etc. then no label changes make a new DVD for a now-two small set 1-n where n is last old -number plus one for set it is being used in.

If that was too brevious holler. :respect: for a great idea and execution.

Excuse me, one more thoughtflow to throw in-- medium and large Fire-Sentry safes are built to protect paper at 2-4 hours depending on safe in a fire with flashovers over the safe. Some have boltdown kits available for them and most can be bolted down with stainless steel bolts of 1\2 inch which would have to be arc-welded off for fast purloining if epoxied into Acerman Johnson concret anchors at a 1" depth. (Florida ia convenient, no basements and ground floors are 95% universally concrete).

The protection time for DVDs is 1.5 to 2.0 times that and most buildings with decent fire protection would be ashes by then. You will not crush a large firesentry safe unless it is under three stories of concrete and steel and even then half full ones have had their contents recovered intact by using an arc welder designed for cutting hardened steel to open it.

Make a BIG sign, saying data archive protection only, no financial data, and hang on its front face. That combo will leave your safe intact if you face things like looters as they mostly grab and run with most portable light gear in a blackout. If you are paranoid mark another bigger one financial data and keep nothing not easily tracable in it. My boss kept RAM in his safe labelled like that in the 90's.

He was known to carry a very good pistol and got no trouble at all as his markmanship was known to police and respected and that spread. A concealed Glock 9mm permit is not given to 80% of applicants, but in his case he knew half the Fort Myers force and 2\3 the Cape Coral force as drinking buddies and took care of their computers as a tech. Oh, a cop got him the Glock at wholesale, and that cop also had a gun selling permit and license.

He was also a minister and no one made trouble at his church either, which was a storefront church. His work truck had about 4-5 grand of tools and parts usually in it. It never got broken into in two years I was there and he had that truck. Just a hint or two if someone knows law enforcement folks and is in a warzone. :)

John.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    yess!!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    We're getting DVD+/-R for pennies.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    yess!!

LOL! I think I know why the RoO is chuckling.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I'm getting media for free.. Thanks for the idea, though.

This is the way the backups will work:

Every night, full server dump is made to a different server, which covers us against hardware failure.

Those dumps were several hundred megs (until shorty did some efficiency voodoo with vBulletin). Since they are remotely shuttled to another box automatically, we let them collect.

Well, now they're several gigs, over 10 I believe. The way it will work is every month, a DVD will be burned (a one time write, not a rewrite) and stuck in a firesafe in my Detroit office. A copy will be made of that DVD and it will be mailed to MediaMan in Vancouver, BC, Canada. So, 1 copy in firesafe in detroit, 1 copy in mediaman's underwear drawer in Canada. Safe enough for me :) I know _I_ would NEVER go into MM's underwear drawer.

Media is free. Simple plan. :)
    edited August 2003
    SweetLou said
    whoa capown! dont think so! I was gonna give it to the site not a single user. And i have a KT400 Gigabyte board coming back on rma Ill donate that whaen i comes back in if you guys want it?

The FAH team could use it for SM19. We need a motherboard for SM19 if you would like to donate it to the team.
    edited August 2003
    I'm copying this thread to the Team Short-Media Forum; it seems to drifting away from the DVD-security theme. That is just fine by me.

If you wish to continue discussing site security and DVD backups, please post here. If you wish to discuss the Team Short-Media donated computer project (SMX), please post in this thread in Team Short-Media.

:cool:

Leo
    edited August 2003
    Leo this is the thread in Team Short-Media.

And I'm the hijacker.:)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Good idea, Prime. Then you have duplicate archive DVDs and can mail one-time. I assume you are burning sets of the archives once a month (like last two weeks or so, to cover unforseen errors in backup with server syncing of data flow). Given the data center, that should be more than enough.

Happy about free media, good deal. I was figuring a full backup, that is very efficient size if so. Here, I use HDs for primary backup, and backup HD is in a swap tray and not in same area as computer and in a firesafe-- simply image. Doing it to a different computer in a good co-loc Data Center that is run by very knowledgable people like the one you picked does same. Will shut up and let you get to it.... :respect: