Modiying a Barton 2500+ For Dualie Operation ( & FSB266 )

2»

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Well ****. I'm stumped.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited September 2003
    The K7D Master reads CPU temps from the CPU Diode so it's going to be ~8-10C higher than what you're used to seeing. As long as it stays under 65C you're OK.

A Stock Barton 2500+ 11x boots at either 1100mhz (FSB200 - 100mhz) or 1466mhz (FSB266 - 133mhz). If your board is reporting 2400mhz there's a problem somewhere. Try updating the BIOS.

The Latest K7D Master Bios is v1.82 2003-05-21
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited September 2003
    You were dead on, Omega! I flashed to the 1.82 bios and the board "identifies" the chip as an unknown processor 1466 MHz now and at 41 Deg C. BUT, I can't get the damn L5 mod to work! I've tried it 4 times on 2 chips and neither one shows up as an MP chip. I'm getting really frustrated. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Anyone want to mod these bad boys for a fee? I'm getting desparate!

Thanks,
    Flint

P.S. They are the new Barton packaging with the plastic over the bridges.:shakehead :shakehead
    edited September 2003
    Flintstone said
    Anyone want to mod these bad boys for a fee? I'm getting desparate!

Thanks,
    Flint

P.S. They are the new Barton packaging with the plastic over the bridges.:shakehead :shakehead
    AMD Changes Athlon XP Packaging

If your Chip looks like below... <s>You're out of luck</s>. You'll need to find Barton 2500+ with the Old Style Brown chip package

=================================
    Unlocking the New Athlon XPs for Dual Processing
    =================================

New Style Green chip package has plastic coating over bridges :banghead:
    attachment.php?s=&postid=36338
    edited September 2003
    Is it me or is the pic of an L5 modded chip and were you successful and yes, mine look just like the picture.

Flint
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    Flintstone: Don't try to mod the bridge's. Use the wire trick.

// Edit: Omega, don't tell him that becaue it's simply not true. He can make the board believe the chip is an MP using the wire trick and the wire trick works with any of the packaging used.
    edited September 2003
    True. You can't Mod the bridges but you can do Wire Mods.

Go here For a Pin (wire) mod guide

Good Luck
    edited September 2003
    Can you really do the MP mod with wire? Everything I've read on the subject says that is the one thing you can't do with wire. Please clear this up. I thought the OC inside modding guide was for voltage and multi's and fsb changes only. Am I wrong again? If not, A2jfreak, please get me a link to the mod, if you would!

Thanks,
    Flint
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    Flintstone: I Google'd for it but didn't find it. If you can find the spec sheet then you should be able to figure it out that way. It is possible. Geeky1 might have done it so maybe you should shoot him a PM just to check. I'll search more later on today if you haven't posted saying that you've found it by tonight.
  • edited September 2003
    I've been looking at the pics at OcPrices and it still looks like you should be able to blow connected bridges with a psu and fine needles and you should be able to connect that L5 bridge via a fine wire placed in the corresponding holes for that bridge in the socket. The trick will be to find which 2 pins connect to that L5 bridge.:eek2:
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    a2j, unfortunately I just painted the bridges with conductive paint..
    edited September 2003
    Hey Flintstone!! Here you go..

Unlocking the new Athlon XPs for Dual Processing
    edited September 2003
    Omega65......................You Da Man!!!

I'll try it this evening and let everyone know the outcome!!

Thanks,

Flint:cool2: