My turn to learn PHP

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Internet & Media
It's time. I have to learn PHP to be competitive in business.

So I am asking for help from you, my friends.

No, not "how do I do this" kind of help... More like, 'Give me an assignment' type of help.

I learn best when I have a project or a goal to accomplish. I am working my way through PHP and MySQL Development by Sams.. I really like the style so far, I was sick of all the other books that gave you the first five chapters on how to print "hello world" and then the rest of the book is just an expanded syntax and function reference. I can use the online documentation as a function reference. This book doesn't dumb it down, and just jumps right in to projects.

So basically I am at chapter 1, which is ... well, syntax and conditionals, very basic stuff. So please somebody give me a challenge, say "write an app that does this". I mean, grade level 1 here, please. Go easy on me.

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Write an app that add items to a database perhaps names and birthdays, and then spits it out in a table or some other useful format. Once you master that, move on to modifying and deleting items. Then add on a search query, perhaps people born in a certain month or year.
  • edited March 2005
    Write an app that automaticly resizes documents so they fit on one sheet of paper when you print them (without the left or right margin getting cut off). Sort of like a transparent app that sits between the web browser and the print driver itself, and captures the info to be printed, resizes it, and shoots it back to the print driver.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Kwitko: Ok

Smj: Grade 1!!!!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    ...Smj: Grade 1!!!!
    No one said it was going to be easy for ya. :vimp:
    edited March 2005
    Yeah my first-grade son got a homework assignment today:

"Write a dissertation explaining your opinion on field-effect theory and how it could revolutionize nanoelectronics"

He had to write it before we let him play gamecube tonight.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Go go go matey :D

A simple project.....

A simple news system for your buddhist site. It's gotta be able to allow someone to login and add news to a text file that is read :)
    edited March 2005
    PHP is a picky bitch.

[php]
    for ($layer=0; $layer < 3; $layer++ )
    {
    echo "Layer $layer<br />";
    for ( $row = 0; $row<3; $row++ )
    {
    for ( $column =0; $column < 3; $column++)
    {
    echo '|'.$categories[$layer][$row][$column];
    }
    echo '|<br />';[/php]

See this line:

[PHP]echo "Layer $layer<br />";[/PHP]

I had it transposed as this:

[PHP]echo "Layer $layer<br />;"[/PHP]

And the ENTIRE SCRIPT BROKE. It produced nothing!

:grumble:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Yep, that's PHP for ya.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    [php]echo "Layer $layer;" [/php]

We have all done it ;)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    PHP is a picky bitch.
    See this line:

[PHP]echo "Layer $layer<br />";[/PHP]

I had it transposed as this:

[PHP]echo "Layer $layer<br />;"[/PHP]

And the ENTIRE SCRIPT BROKE. It produced nothing!

:grumble:

That's really not that different from any other language...if you leave off a semicolon in JAVA/C/C++/etc it won't interpret/compile/whatever. Syntax is always annoying to learn, but once you get the hang of it, it's not that big of a deal.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited March 2005
    shwaip wrote:
    That's really not that different from any other language...if you leave off a semicolon in JAVA/C/C++/etc it won't interpret/compile/whatever. Syntax is always annoying to learn, but once you get the hang of it, it's not that big of a deal.

Thats what I was going to say exactly. Every language and even stuff like
    SQL demands precise syntax.

Tex
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Oh man... you should've started off learning C++. PHP is actually one of the most lax languages when it comes to syntax. C++ will crap out for a lot less than that.

The first thing I did in PHP was make a (static) MadLib form. You typed in the parts of speech in a form, and it added the words into a pre-made story when you submitted it. :)
  • edited April 2005
    So, finished your grade 1 assignment yet? :)

I think I started on that same book and then just started to customize the code. Got some great help from WDF after that. I then started on ZE SECRET PROJECT... which I'm still working on in my spare time lol... don't even ask how long it's been...

(I TOLD YOU NOT TO ASK!!!!)