NewEgg Rocks!

a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
edited September 2003 in Trading Post
Ok, let me start off with the background details so you all will know why I love NewEgg now more than ever.

Around 3 months ago I ordered some RAM (two Corsair XMS 512MB PC3200C2 memory mdules, for a total of 1GB). I paid $115 per stick (which I felt was a pretty fair price).

Both sticks work FLAWLESSLY!

About two months ago I ordered two more sticks of the exact same memory, as again I had another 1GB of RAM. This time I paid $95 per stick (which I feel is a very very fair price).

One stick works flawlessly, one stick craps out in less than a minute on memory tests. No biggie, I just RMA it.

Get replacement. Same problem.

A little frustrating, but it's out of NewEgg's control so I RMA it.

A little more frustrating, but again it's out of NewEgg's control so I RMA it. This time the guy tells me I can send my receipts and can be reimbursed for return shipping up to $10 per receipt.

I fax two of the receipts (misplaced one receipt) so I should have been reimbursed for $16.

OK. Now, before I say what happens next, I will let you all know that I did check my motherboard against the three known good sticks and all worked perfectly, no matter which DIMM slot the memory was in. Also, I put the assumed bad memory in another motherboard (that also ran the other 3 modules fine in any of the DIMM slots) and it also crapped out, so assumed bad went to known bad. This memory would crap out with very relaxed timings and/or raised vdimm. In short: it was bad.

Now, I call NewEgg and talk to someone about sending back both modules and getting two modules of Kingston HyperX PC3200 CAS2. But, the catch was, I wanted market value for my RAM which is now $123 per stick for a total of $246. The Kingston is $249. I feel I should be able to pay the $3 difference since what I'm returning is worth $246 by today's standards, not $190, also, if I had purchased the Kingston at the same time I purchased the Corsair I would have paid substantially lower prices. I was only asking to not be screwed over by a $60 swing (difference between $190 and $250) since Both modules went up accordingly, I felt this was a completely legitimate proposal and I was not asking NewEgg to lose money.

The guy said he could not do it so I asked him to please escalate my call to his supervisor.

I waited on hold for 20 minutes and then the line died. I called back and asked for the same guy, he said that he tried to patch me through but the supervisor had left early for the day and would be back tomorrow.

I didn't have time to call back "tomorrow" but I did call back today.

Now, this is why I love NewEgg.

I tell the supervisor my problem.
I have one good stick and one bad stick. I want the same brand, type and speed RAM so I want to return both the good and bad sticks for some Kingston.
By today's standards my RAM is worth $246 even though I paid $190 for it.
By today's standards the RAM I am willing to replace it with (just so I can finally have some good RAM) is $249 even though two months ago it was worth substantially less (roughly the price of the Corsair).

He sees the $60 difference between what I paid and what I'm now asking for, even though the difference between the current market values is only $3! He asks if I can meet him half-way (which I feel is fair, but not entirely what I wanted) so I say, "let me ask you this, I sent in two receipts worth up to $16, will you count that $16 towards my half so that I only need to pay an additional $14?" He asks me to hold for a moment. I hear him typing. A few seconds later he says, "I can give you $115 per stick of your Corsair because I see you have paid as high as $115 for that RAM before." (I had, the first time I ordered it and got two perfect sticks.) So, now I just need to give them $20 for the difference, which I felt was fair . . . not entirely what I wanted, but fair. He then says, "Hold on" again and I hear more typing. He comes back and says "I'll give you the Kingston for $230 so that it's all even." I said, "Wow, that's great! I so do appreciate it!" (HEY, WOW, you can't ask a company more than that, can you?) So I say, ok, just so I have it straight, I'm getting $115 per stick of my Corsair for a total of $230 and I'm getting the Kingston for a total of $230. He says "yes." I say, "Ok, so I guess I'll just forget the receipts for $16, right?" He says, "Actually, I'm going to issue those back to you also." (I can't believe this! Wow!) I say, "That's wonderful! Wow, thanks so much!"

Anyway, I feel really good about this.
I always felt NewEgg was a class-act company, but I tell ya they really showed me today that they care about their customers! Granted, I have probably spent well over $1000 with NewEgg, but still they didn't HAVE to do what they did. I feel really good about this! If you guys need something, go to NewEgg!!!!!

(If it seemed like I mentioned the prices a lot and the current market values and the swings and all, well, I guess I just wanted to make sure it was explained and I'm a bit excited! :D)

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Yeah. Newegg does rock...

That's cool what they did for you. Man, I've spent so much money there too...
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited August 2003
    Wow good jod... absolutely unheard of these days...

:)
    "g"
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    yep they rock, they give me 250 dollar refund for my dead ti4600 that i used for almost a year.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Newegg rocks so hard it isn't funny.

My roommate went through 3 mobos, 2 sticks of Ram and 2 video cards while building his system. Each one was RMA'ed w/o question or hastle. They have the best customer service of all vendors I've ever delt with.

The only other place that has treated me that nice was Linksys. I had a 4 port router/switch that I'd had for a year. It had never worked despite my best attempts as well as my network tech buddies. Over a year after purchase, I called them and told them that it never worked. Since it was a gift and I didnt have the recipt, they just took the unit back and sent me a new one. No hastles, no forms- just mail it to them and then I get a new one a week later.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    My roommate went through 3 mobos, 2 sticks of Ram and 2 video cards while building his system

Did that have anything to do with an exploding soda bottle? :rolleyes2
    edited August 2003
    Wow, I'm a moderator, and this is MY sub-forum, and I'm sidetracking it. OK, now that BJ was jabbed in the ribs, let's get back on topic.

Newegg, in my experience, is a model for all the computer components e-vendors out there. Probably over 50% of my ordering has been through Newegg, and probably will continue to be.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Ouch!@ Nope, different roommate (not Garg) and it was a Dell that felt the wrath of my exploding Coke prowess.

Back on track- Yea, I'm Newegg for life. Garg and I have built many systems with their parts and you cant beat them when it comes to price and service. You may find stuff cheaper, but you don't get the newegg lovin' anywhere but newegg.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    :D Preacher is another proud member of the I LOVE NEWEGG FAN CLUB!:thumbsup:

I've spent thousands there (please don't tell the missus) and the prices, service, and support have always been phenomenal.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    I had to ship 2 mobos back and I didnt get any money for that. And heck it didnt cost you $16 to ship RAM, at least it shouldnt have. I also got a front bezel as well. NO Qs asked.

I got a bad experience with them right now tho. I was supposed to recieve a vid card and case from them for my GFs Gma. She signed for case but never got the vid card. Tracking says she signed for both. Newegg wont do crap about it caused Fed Ex says she signed for both. Now I have to bitch at fed ex about this.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Ordered a refurb'd MB the other day, got it in a couple days later, it quit out on me yesterday. Currently needing to send it off for RMA, waiting till monday.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited August 2003
    To get the money you're supposed to fax in the receipt and ask for it.

I sent it back 3x! (about to be 4.) Plus the first time it included a mobo and I had waited until the RMA was almost expired ( :banghead: ) so I express mailed it.
    mmonnin said
    I had to ship 2 mobos back and I didnt get any money for that. And heck it didnt cost you $16 to ship RAM, at least it shouldnt have. I also got a front bezel as well. NO Qs asked.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited August 2003
    Hmm, that must be something new Newegg is doing.

I like NewEgg tons better than TigerDirect or any other the other online stores I bought from such as MWave Direct, AllStarshop and Axiontech.
    edited August 2003
    I've purchased from:

HardCoreCooling.com (Didn't send my CPU spacer. Never bought from them again).

TufShop.com (Never bought from them again)

NewEgg.com (purchased quite a few things from them and will almost definitely do so again)

ExcaliberPC.com (purchased 2 NF7-S mobos, 2 SLK900U HS and some other things. RMA'd one of the mobos. It's likely I'll buy from them again.)

GoogleGear.com (almost always the same price as NewEgg, with better shipping. Sometimes they are less expensive. Only thing is, the site isn't as friendly for searches so you have to go through item after item of stuff you don't need to see. Also, I don't know if the customer support is as good as NewEgg as I've never had to use it. I wouldn't have reservations purchasing from them in the future)

On a five-point system (with 2.5 being "fair/acceptable. Not good, not bad"):

HardCoreCooling:
    pricing: 3
    shipping: 2.5
    support: n/a

TufShop:
    pricing: 3
    shipping: 2.5

NewEgg:
    pricing: 4.5
    shipping: 4
    support: 4.5

ExcaliberPC:
    pricing: 4
    shipping: 3.5
    support: 4

GoogleGear:
    pricing: 4.5
    shipping: 4.5

I think a 5 is impossible because that would mean everything is perfect, which just doesn't happen.

As for if it's new policy for NewEgg to reimburse part/all of the shipping . . . I don't know. I just asked; something I would guess a lot of people don't do. They only agreed to do it after I had 2 RMAs though, I now have the 4th RMA! Though this last one is a refund. ;D My new HyperX RAM is at step 2 of 5, so I'm guessing it will go out on Tuesday.

AxionTech is here in Houston, but I don't buy from them because their pricing normally isn't competitive with other sites and because they're pretty far away from my home/work so any money saved on shipping would be lost in time and gas. Plus I would have to pay tax, so I just go for the better price and pay no tax. :D
    danball1976 said
    Hmm, that must be something new Newegg is doing.

I like NewEgg tons better than TigerDirect or any other the other online stores I bought from such as MWave Direct, AllStarshop and Axiontech.
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    GoogleGear.com Has good Customer Service. RMA'd a CPU once, very helpful
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I've ordered about $10,000 in merchandise from newegg now for various computers I've done for myself and for friends. If I were to extend that to all the people who have ordered systems from them at my suggestion, that number would quadruple.

My friend had a dead MSI K7D Master. They reimbursed him for the price he paid (Not the existing price), six months after his warranty ran out, AND they gave him the newer version of the board even though they had the old in stock.

I RMAed a maxtor drive to them, and I got a new one in 24 hours, even though I paid for 3 day.

I really love newegg, a lot. Best place ever. They're so diverse in what they sell, it's rare that they don't have what I need.
  • MancabusMancabus Charlottesville, VA
    edited September 2003
    Newegg is the best, the only problem is that they have Fedex as their primary mode of shipping, I hate not being able to get stuff on weekends.

Fedex need to rethink the whole no deliveries on weekends stuff.
    edited September 2003
    Weekend delivery from Airborne Express costs extra. Not sure about UPS. (Is DHL still in business?) The USPS I think has free Saturday delivery w/ express shipping, but I'm not positive.

I'm surprised FedEx doesn't offer it . . . perhaps it's NewEgg that doesn't offer it.
    Mancabus said
    Newegg is the best, the only problem is that they have Fedex as their primary mode of shipping, I hate not being able to get stuff on weekends.

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2003
    Cant find the Mechatronics 53cfm fan at Newegg tho.

I got a box on Sat from Fed Ex. Its only ground that is down for the weekend. Not sure how I got mine cause it was ground.

Oh and dont ship fed ex. I work there, I dont want more packages.;)
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited September 2003
    Mancabus said

Who cares, FedEx is better than UPS anyday.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    My only complaint about Newegg is that they're in CA, which means I have to pay sales tax. On the other hand, it also means I get my stuff a lot faster, so...

I've ordered a few things from them (Refurb BBA 9700 Pro & (new)Zalman ZM80A-HP, Refurb MSI Pro266TD-LR dual P3/DDR board & new retail Celeron 1.3, OEM 1700+) and they've always shipped stuff quickly. The packaging on some of it could have been a bit better (a Fedex box with an invoice and a retail Intel Celeron box isn't what I'd call outstanding packaging...) but everything has arrived intact afaik (haven't tested the celeron yet...) so I can't really complain. Overall, I'd say they're one of the best companies I've dealt with, online or in person.

Atacom seems to be pretty good, as does XPCGear. Incidentally, they're in the same building- XPCGear is a separate company, but they work with Atacom on some things apparently. I've bought stuff from both and been very happy, although I haven't had them ship anything- I just drive the ~20 miles and pick it up...

Bestbyte.net is OK- the packaging could be better, but overall they're pretty good. Plycon is excellent, 3DCool.com is very good, SVC is very good, although I can't comment on their shipping either, as I just pick up my orders from them too...

Powernotebooks.com is probably the best online company I've ever dealt with. The LONGEST I waited for a response to my e-mails was a day; the shortest was <10 minutes.

I'd recommend checking out www.pixelusa.com though. Between myself, my parents, my grandparents, their company, and various friends and acquaintances, we've spent easily $50k there over the past few years, and they've always been very, very good. They do both complete systems (custom and pre-configured) and parts, and their wiring jobs are usually pretty decent out of the box. They're not voodoopc-quality, but they're a hell of a lot closer to it than Dell is.

They have a pretty decent selection of parts, although they dropped Abit a while back because they had too many returns on them, and they're down to 3 video card companies- ATi, ASUS, and MSI, and they don't carry Thermalright stuff, but other than that, they have a decent lineup and the prices are usually reasonable. I'm pretty sure they do mail order too... I'd suggest at least taking a look @ them and seeing what they have...
  • edited September 2003
    newegg is trustworthy - they've worked hard for that kind of reputation. Lots of other places are small time operations and the difference is noticeable.

I don't care if Fedex does/does not deliver on Saturday. Newegg offers free Fedex shipping on many items and Fedex generally does less damage (If there was damage I'd much rather deal with Fedex than UPS which leaves the packages at your door/backdoor where easily stolen) to the packages than UPS. I'd rather get my order in good condition than get a banged up box on Saturday ruining my weekend and waiting to deal with customer service on Monday.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    i also like FedEx better, UPS is gay.

i like fedex better is because they deliver to my house earlier, so i can get my stuff earlier, and have more time playing with them.
    edited September 2003
    Yeah. FedEx normally delivers by 2:30PM, UPS normally delivers around 6:30PM or later. Oh, yeah, and UPS is normally 1-2 days behind, so that's like 52 hours or more.

I'm like you, Leishi, I'm a big kid and like my toys! :D
    leishi85 said
    i also like FedEx better, UPS is gay.

i like fedex better is because they deliver to my house earlier, so i can get my stuff earlier, and have more time playing with them.
    edited September 2003
    I'm closing this thread - it has really strayed off topic. Good discussion, mind you, but would serve us better in the Pub sub-forum.
This discussion has been closed.