Cooling your entire laptop with this new thing?

metomeyametomeya New
edited December 2007 in Hardware
Has anybody seen the

Nexus TDD-3000 Laptop Cooler?

Here is a link:
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2839.html

It looks like a great idea. It uses the pipe system used in the high-end heatsink for CPUs. I was just wondering has anyone heard of they have worked or have used them.

My laptop is starting to overheat just recently (I think it might be dust, 9 months olds but scared to clean, don't wanna void the warranty, and my rubber stoppers have been torn off so there isn't much breathing room between the laptop and the ground).

Just wondering thanks :wave:

Comments

• edited April 2005
    That's the first I've ever seen of it. If you decide to try it out, post back and let us know how well it works. I use my laptop all the time at work and have it folding too, so it stays loaded up all the time and if you see any real benefit from it, I might consider getting one myself.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited April 2005
    metomeya wrote:
    Has anybody seen the

Nexus TDD-3000 Laptop Cooler?

Here is a link:
    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2839.html

It looks like a great idea. It uses the pipe system used in the high-end heatsink for CPUs. I was just wondering has anyone heard of they have worked or have used them.

My laptop is starting to overheat just recently (I think it might be dust, 9 months olds but scared to clean, don't wanna void the warranty, and my rubber stoppers have been torn off so there isn't much breathing room between the laptop and the ground).

Just wondering thanks :wave:

try using a can of compressed air through the vents on the laptop

what laptop is it, I might be able to give you an idea on the warrenty and how to clean it.

also somthing better to use

heard of them, the people that used then said it increased the temp, tho YMMV
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited April 2005
    gibbonsl wrote:
    try using a can of compressed air through the vents on the laptop

what laptop is it, I might be able to give you an idea on the warrenty and how to clean it.

also somthing better to use

heard of them, the people that used then said it increased the temp, tho YMMV

I have a Dell 600m if that helps.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited April 2005
    http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=57799&highlight=600M+overheating

read this post here

has some fixes for overheating
  • edited November 2007
    I have a HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop and ever since I sent it in to HP to have my wireless card replaced. They did and ever since I got it back I seem to get very irritated throat when I work on computer. I sent it back to them twice to see if they can clean it out but still same problem. I never had this problem before. I dont know what to do. Have you any idea? I love this laptop but not comfortable working on it. It irritates my throat where I feel little asthma. When I move laptop away from me my throat clears up. Does anyone have any idea why and what I can do? Thanks and hope someone can help me.
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited November 2007
    that cooling pad looks pretty cool...
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    josym wrote:
    I have a HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop and ever since I sent it in to HP to have my wireless card replaced. They did and ever since I got it back I seem to get very irritated throat when I work on computer. I sent it back to them twice to see if they can clean it out but still same problem. I never had this problem before. I dont know what to do. Have you any idea? I love this laptop but not comfortable working on it. It irritates my throat where I feel little asthma. When I move laptop away from me my throat clears up. Does anyone have any idea why and what I can do? Thanks and hope someone can help me.

I've got a similar problem. My ear hurts when I hold my watch up to it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    josym wrote:

Call the CDC immediately. It sounds like you have a fungal spore or anthrax issue; the symptoms you're describing are very serious.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Better living through technology.
    225px-1930s_gas_mask.jpg
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    josym wrote:

Alright let me start with this: You're very lucky you posted this here at Icrontic instead of another tech site; and here's why:

Any other tech site would rip you to shreds for posting a question involving medical problems and somehow managing to combine it with computers. Most tech sites are full of people who would relentlessly call you names and make fun of you, and not even remotely begin to take your question seriously.

At least here, at Icrontic, we are about as friendly as they come. So if we seem to be poking gentle fun at you, it's because we are. Gently.

Honestly, how on earth do you expect a serious answer to a question like that here, on a tech site full of computer geeks? YOUR THROAT IS IRRITATED? WHAT ON EARTH DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH COMPUTERS?

One problem I can definitely see is that perhaps you need more sleep. You posted your question at 3:27 AM, and your profile claims EST, so that means you are up at a very late hour, posting bizarre questions on a non-topical website. These signs, to an outsider, point to "... uhhh... wtf...". You understand, right?

If your throat is irritated when you use your laptop, that is seriously ****ed up. You need to see an actual doctor. I can't think of anything inside of a laptop that would irritate your throat.

Welcome to Icrontic.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    As an Actual Doctor, I recommend seeing a competent Otolaryngologist and/or Pulmonologist.
  • edited November 2007
    Ya if your gonna try that one test it and tell us if it works good.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    rubber stoppers have been torn off so there isn't much breathing room between the laptop and the ground
    Simple fix - doubled up cardboard squares, one at each corner to give the laptop vents on the bottom 'breathing' room. Have an old mouse pad? They work great as pads and vibration dampeners. The also are skid resistant, which is good if your desk has a slippery surface.
  • edited November 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Call the CDC immediately. It sounds like you have a fungal spore or anthrax issue; the symptoms you're describing are very serious.

Thank you, I emailed CDC and will wait to hear from them. Also going to see doctor etc. Thanks for the email and caring to respond.
  • edited November 2007
    As an Actual Doctor, I recommend seeing a competent Otolaryngologist and/or Pulmonologist.

Hi thank you for responding. Yes I found an otolaryngologist and will look into pulmonary doctor too. Thanks :)
  • edited November 2007
    Alright let me start with this: You're very lucky you posted this here at Icrontic instead of another tech site; and here's why:

Any other tech site would rip you to shreds for posting a question involving medical problems and somehow managing to combine it with computers. Most tech sites are full of people who would relentlessly call you names and make fun of you, and not even remotely begin to take your question seriously.

At least here, at Icrontic, we are about as friendly as they come. So if we seem to be poking gentle fun at you, it's because we are. Gently.

Honestly, how on earth do you expect a serious answer to a question like that here, on a tech site full of computer geeks? YOUR THROAT IS IRRITATED? WHAT ON EARTH DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH COMPUTERS?

One problem I can definitely see is that perhaps you need more sleep. You posted your question at 3:27 AM, and your profile claims EST, so that means you are up at a very late hour, posting bizarre questions on a non-topical website. These signs, to an outsider, point to "... uhhh... wtf...". You understand, right?

If your throat is irritated when you use your laptop, that is seriously ****ed up. You need to see an actual doctor. I can't think of anything inside of a laptop that would irritate your throat.

Welcome to Icrontic.

Thanks for a depressing long response. First of all I could be a night worker, you don't know that. Second, my problem is a real problem. I dont like wasting time asking bizarre questions. Well inside laptops can be loaded with dust or even harsh chemicals the manufacturers may use. So save your typing and stop putting people down especially when you don't know them and what they're going through.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Oh I didn't put you down. I gave you my honest opinion
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    We're not flaming you or putting you down, Josym. It's just the internet's favorite sarcasm/bluntness when pointing out the obvious rearing its ugly head:

If using your computer is causing a part of your body physical irritation, going to a doctor is clearly the best option. Even if you did happen to stumble across a DO or an MD on a forum, a patient's description of the symptoms are generic enough to describe virtually anything. Maybe you have post-nasal drip, maybe you're sensitive to dry air, maybe you're allergic to dust that collects in your laptops, maybe you have lymphoma that's creating nodules in your esophagus. In point of fact, everything I have just enumerated could potentially give you the same symptoms, which is why nobody on a forum could ever help you with a physical problem.

If you're concerned with your health, consult a medical professional for a checkup. In the mean time, welcome to Icrontic. Hopefully you see where we're coming from now, and that we mean you no harm.
  • edited November 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    We're not flaming you or putting you down, Josym. It's just the internet's favorite sarcasm/bluntness when pointing out the obvious rearing its ugly head:

If using your computer is causing a part of your body physical irritation, going to a doctor is clearly the best option. Even if you did happen to stumble across a DO or an MD on a forum, a patient's description of the symptoms are generic enough to describe virtually anything. Maybe you have post-nasal drip, maybe you're sensitive to dry air, maybe you're allergic to dust that collects in your laptops, maybe you have lymphoma that's creating nodules in your esophagus. In point of fact, everything I have just enumerated could potentially give you the same symptoms, which is why nobody on a forum could ever help you with a physical problem.

If you're concerned with your health, consult a medical professional for a checkup. In the mean time, welcome to Icrontic. Hopefully you see where we're coming from now, and that we mean you no harm.

I understand everything you're saying. I wasn't complaining about you. You were great with your first response. It was primesuspect's answer hurt my feelings about the hour I am up etc and asking a bizarre question. Someone from Yahoo Answers responded to me before and gave me link from Science Daily. Not sure if I am allowed to post a link, let me know. It talks about computer and allergy reaction, now no one can think I am crazy for my bizarre question, it's a real thing - Chemical Found In Computer Can Cause Allergy, Sickness
  • edited November 2007
    Oh I didn't put you down. I gave you my honest opinion

I don't like you, you're a meany. :p Yes you did put me down primesuspect. I'll end it here and no more.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    josym wrote:
    I understand everything you're saying. I wasn't complaining about you. You were great with your first response. It was primesuspect's answer hurt my feelings about the hour I am up etc and asking a bizarre question. Someone from Yahoo Answers responded to me before and gave me link from Science Daily. Not sure if I am allowed to post a link, let me know. It talks about computer and allergy reaction, now no one can think I am crazy for my bizarre question, it's a real thing - Chemical Found In Computer Can Cause Allergy, Sickness
    If you look at the date on the article you'll not that it was written in 2000 when the prevalent type of computer monitor was the CRT (looks like a boxy television). The display element in a CRT monitor is essentially a high-tech incandescent light bulb and like the light bulbs used throughout your home becomes extremely hot during operation. A typical CRT monitor exchanges heat with its environment through convection, the process of cool air flowing in through vent holes to displace the hot air inside. However, the display element inside exchanges heat with the inside air significantly through all three modes (radiation, conduction, convection) so the inside of the monitor is typically also very hot. This heat probably causes the vaporization of the triphenyl phosphate used in the monitor cabinet. I say probably because that was the conclusion I drew from the partial text I obtained of "Dynamic sonication-assisted solvent extraction of organophosphate esters in air samples" from the 2002 Journal of Chromatography in which air samples from above a computer monitor were taken and analyzed (among other things).

Most modern computers and all notebook PC's use LCD monitors that operate at much lower temperatures so your likelihood of encountering irritation from triphenyl phosphate emissions is low. As you said, there are other chemicals associated with electronics manufacture whose vaporized residues can cause respiratory distress. This is not unlike the "new car smell" and you can expect it to go away after prolonged operation. Try running the laptop in a ventilated area with a CPU-intensive application like Folding@Home for a few days. Vaporization is directly related to temperature so high processor usage and a warm environment will likely accelerate the process. The most important thing though is to not develop a psychosomatic reaction to your equipment. At that point you might as well get a new computer.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited December 2007
    josym, thanks for posting the link. I found it very interesting. Will you note two pertinent facts concerning the article: 1) It was published seven years ago (eternity in tech time), and 2) it described the allergen as being found in monitors, the chemical being released when the monitors (some monitors) reached an operating temperature of 122-131F. I am assuming the article reports investigations concerning CRT monitors, and not LCD monitors and LCD screens on laptops. But perhaps other computer components contain the chemical allergen too. I don't know. But what is really strange, is that you did not experience symptoms until your computer was returned to from service. To me this would appear that very old dust was loosened inside your computer - loosened enough to emit particles when the computer's fan(s) are running, but not loose enough to be totally discharged when your laptop is running. That's the only thing I can think of. And that is one big problem with laptops. They are very difficult, if not impossible, to thoroughly clean out lint and dust with disassembly. I wish you the best.

Concerning the humor posts above: you've got to understand how funny this sounded to most of us.

UPDATE: as soon as I posted my part I notice that Drasnor has given a very thorough, logical response
  • edited December 2007
    Hi thanks for responding. I just sent that website to show that there is such thing as people getting allergy reactions to computers whatever the cause on computer and when. But my allergy is coming from the vents and am glad you said what you said here below about the old dust might have gotten loosened from when I sent it in. I finally sent my laptop to Staples where I have my 3 year extended warranty and they opened up laptop and cleaned it out and I notice some improvement. I still feel some but not as bad now. I forgot to ask how often I should have it cleaned. I wish they sold something online where I can cover the keyboard side of laptop that will direct the vent air to go downward but nothing. I can wear a face mask but I need more air to breathe. I just have to deal with it I guess. Thanks for responding again.
    Leonardo wrote:
    josym, thanks for posting the link. I found it very interesting. Will you note two pertinent facts concerning the article: 1) It was published seven years ago (eternity in tech time), and 2) it described the allergen as being found in monitors, the chemical being released when the monitors (some monitors) reached an operating temperature of 122-131F. I am assuming the article reports investigations concerning CRT monitors, and not LCD monitors and LCD screens on laptops. But perhaps other computer components contain the chemical allergen too. I don't know. But what is really strange, is that you did not experience symptoms until your computer was returned to from service. To me this would appear that very old dust was loosened inside your computer - loosened enough to emit particles when the computer's fan(s) are running, but not loose enough to be totally discharged when your laptop is running. That's the only thing I can think of. And that is one big problem with laptops. They are very difficult, if not impossible, to thoroughly clean out lint and dust with disassembly. I wish you the best.

Concerning the humor posts above: you've got to understand how funny this sounded to most of us.

UPDATE: as soon as I posted my part I notice that Drasnor has given a very thorough, logical response
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited December 2007
    How the heck did my thread about cooling my laptop become about allergies? :/
  • edited December 2007
    If you read and see why it turned out talking about allergies is because I asked why my laptop vents irritate my throat and now I know why from some nice people telling me it could be the dust from the vents. I am going to now invest into a chill pad or mat to put under my laptop so I don't have to inhale burnt dust from the possible overheating. Some of you people here really sound mean and I feel so unwelcomed here. Am not coming back here anymore. Sorry for the trouble. bye.
    metomeya wrote:
    How the heck did my thread about cooling my laptop become about allergies? :/
    edited December 2007
    How the heck did my thread about cooling my laptop become about allergies?
    Pretty bizarre, isn't it.

Metamoya, sorry. We really let you down. We moderators allowed two very good, but quite distinct topics to intermingle.

If you'd like me to strip out the allergy posts and form a separate thread with them, I'd be happy to do that.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    I've learned it's usually not helpful to ask for advice online in a few key areas.

Healthcare
    You have AIDS. You are going to die. You got it from swimming in an infected pool. We are afraid of catching it via our internet connection.

Fitness
    What you are doing is wrong. People who spend more time on the web than you do are smarter, hotter and generally better than you, and you should do what they say.

Relationships
    Relationships are lame. You should hit that in every way imaginable, possibly including some violence, and leave forever. Anything else you do regarding a relationship means you're gay. Do the same to their mom on the way out the door.

The best ________
    The best console, the best computer, the best type of dog. These are all subjective to your individual preference and their relevance to the situation. There is no 'best', because everyone's definition of 'best' is based on their individual needs. However, whatever preference you have is the wrong one, and you are simultaneously an idiot, gay and to be hated by everyone else. That is one thing everyone agrees on.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2007
    Fitness
    What you are doing is wrong. People who spend more time on the web than you do are smarter, hotter and generally better than you, and you should do what they say.

The others may be true, but I've found a huge amount of valuable fitness advice and info on the web...

One great example is our very own Icrontic Fitness Clubhouse. ;)
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited December 2007
    Healthcare
    You have AIDS. You are going to die. You got it from swimming in an infected pool. We are afraid of catching it via our internet connection.

I thought I closed that pool...Dammit.