My brother-in-law warned me but I didn't listen...

edited May 2005 in Hardware
I built a new pc recently and got most of the kinks worked out but one. My brother-in-law told me not to get an AMD because he had one and his computer kept shutting down. Guess what.. my pc is shutting down with Stop error 0x0000009c. It's fine as long as all I do is browse or something but when I make the machine work ( like downloading torrents ) it overheats and shuts down.
I have a 3200 Athalon with a built in cooler that came in a bundle with the motherboard (DFI with 400 fsb) and my case has a fan on top and one on the side. I have not overclocked (don't know how) and am now kicking myself for not listening.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Rachael

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I can tell you right now that it's not because you're using an AMD that it's shutting down on you. In fact, modern AMD chips run cooler than most Intel chips that are being sold today. I'm guessing your issue is memory related. Download memtest86+ (found at www.memtest.org ) and follow the directions to run it. Here is a great set of directions for use: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=276

And please tell your brother-in-law to do the same. He's either stuck in the '80s with his bias against AMD, or he's experiencing a similar problem to you.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    *Points up*

Listen to this man. :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    It's not an AMD problem, per se. I'd check the RAM first. Download and run Memtest86.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited April 2005
    while this isn't helping solve your problem, I just thought I'd say that my Intel 2.8C chip runs at 70 degrees Celcius under load using the stock cooler. my point? all stock coolers suck.

memtest sounds like a good way to start off though
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    AMD processors are superior to Intel processors in almost every way. Your problem has nothing at all to do with the processor. It's most likely a memory problem.
  • edited April 2005
    Thank you for the advice. It certainly eases my mind. I spent a lot of money building this thing and all we've done since, is fix problems. Hopefully this will be the last one. I'll try doing this when I get home from work tonight and I'll let you know what happened.

Rachael
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd
    points up

Nuff said

/me exits
    Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    points up

Nuff said

/me exits
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Same here... AMD's rule.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    TheBaron wrote:
    all stock coolers suck.

And all the ones for my AMD 64's keep them in the low 40's.

The $12 coolermasters are within one or two degrees of my $40 Zalmans. a coupel degrees for $28 bucks isnt such a good deal.

Tex
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    What model of DFI motherboard do you have?

DFI is known for their 'tweaking boards'.. and are not always the most friendly and stable, without a bit of tweaking.

I would also recommend doing a full memtest, but I would also wonder about your power supply. Problems like what you are describing can also be caused by an underpowered system. Did you take your powersupply from an older machine? or is it a unit that came with the case?
  • edited April 2005
    OK. So I did the memory test and there were no problems found. I have a DFI NF2 400-AL shown here:

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1982&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&SITE=NA

It wasn't actually the one they were supposed to send me but once I got it I didn't want to have to send it back and go even LONGER without a pc.

I have a 350 w power supply that came with the case.

Any other thoughts?

Rachael
  • Liquid81Liquid81 Westbrook,CT
    edited April 2005
    is it a true 350 watt?

I had a PSU that was supposed to be 300 once, and I tested it to be 145!!! That machine restarted... a lot.
  • Liquid81Liquid81 Westbrook,CT
    edited April 2005
    was the heat sink attached by the factory?
    edited April 2005
    It could indeed be the PSU. What brand is the power supply?
  • edited April 2005
    The power supply is "icute". How do I test if it really is 350 w?
    The cpu came with the cooler attached already.
    edited April 2005
    That's probably your problem - that PSU is a no name brand, and chances are you are not getting good power from it. I would recommend a brand name PSU such as an Antec or OCZ.
  • edited April 2005
    I agree. That PSU is a peice of junk.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    I agree with the other guys. At the same time, if it were my money I would try to borrow a (good!) PSU for a couple of days and make sure.

You'd be best off upgrading it in any case, but if you're on a tight budget it wouldn't hurt to be sure that's going to solve your problem. If the computer works fine with the borrowed PSU you'll feel a whole lot better about coughing up the dough for a new one. :)
  • edited April 2005
    Good idea. My local shop doesn't have any of the brands mentioned but I can always order one. I'll give it a try and report back the results. You guys are so helpful!!

Thank you very much
  • rykoryko new york
    edited April 2005
    what about the dreaded dust bunnies? grab a can of compressed air and blow out all of the fans in your case. pay close attention to the hsf on the cpu. also can try blowing out your "underpowered" psu...
    edited April 2005
    It's a new computer build, according to the first post in this thread. I don't think dust would be a problem on a computer just a few days/weeks old.
  • edited April 2005
    Good thought but this is a brand new system. No bunnies yet
  • jef-pal106jef-pal106 Manila
    edited April 2005
    TheBaron wrote:
    while this isn't helping solve your problem, I just thought I'd say that my Intel 2.8C chip runs at 70 degrees Celcius under load using the stock cooler. my point? all stock coolers suck.

memtest sounds like a good way to start off though

i second that! just dont have much time to buy a new HSF.. but stock fans really sucks! :scratch:
  • edited April 2005
    I did have 2 different power supplies in this thing with no change in performance.
    When I browse or do nothing my temp stays around the mid 40's. When I do anything else (converting or downloading large files) it shoot's up into the 50's then reboots. Is the next thing to try a cooler for the CPU? If not then any new ideas?

This thing is frustrating me so much I almost wish I bought a pre-assembled pc from a name brand company. At least then if there was a problem I could send the damn thing back, you know?

Don't mind me, just venting a little.
  • jef-pal106jef-pal106 Manila
    edited April 2005
    rpmgrlca wrote:
    I did have 2 different power supplies in this thing with no change in performance.
    When I browse or do nothing my temp stays around the mid 40's. When I do anything else (converting or downloading large files) it shoot's up into the 50's then reboots. Is the next thing to try a cooler for the CPU? If not then any new ideas?

This thing is frustrating me so much I almost wish I bought a pre-assembled pc from a name brand company. At least then if there was a problem I could send the damn thing back, you know?

are there any fans that is attached in the casing like front or side fans? you can try turning it off just thinking if it causes turbulence inside... also check if the cpu fan is properly placed...
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited April 2005
    rpmgrlca wrote:

Since my AMD Athlon XP 2600 (2.08GHz) will run in the 50's with 100% cpu load (Highest was 55C), I always keep the setting where it'll shut off the computer if it gets too hot turned off. I would first suggest turning that off in the BIOS that makes it shut down since AMD CPU's are designed to handle temps up to 100C, but never ever allow it to get higher than 60C, as the cooler you can keep it, the longer it lasts. My CPU, despite it always being at 100% usage because of folding, I bough back in February 2003 is still going strong, it is also overclocked to 2.25GHz during the summer since the A/C is on.

I have the Vantec TMD fan on it as well, and a Enermax 350W PSU.

I would get this one, 400W, max combined 400W:
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1028624&CatId=1078

Also, try to look for it at Newegg, you might get a better deal
  • khankhan New
    edited April 2005
    Alternate solution: If your brother also has a computer, "borrow" his power supply. =P
  • edited April 2005
    Here's something wierd. I ran out of oil last night so my house is pretty cold while we are witing on the oil delivery. My CPU temp has dropped to the low 40's.
    I tried converting a file again and the temp went up 5 degrees to 46. CPU usage when it's doing this is at 100%. The computer rebooted when it hit 46 degrees with that same error. 46 is not too hot so it shouldn't be heat that's the problem right?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    Did you turn off automatic reboots in XP on errors? Do it now if you have not. We need to see the error.

Checked the systemlogs for errors? If not do that now.

Tex