My brother-in-law warned me but I didn't listen...

2»

Comments

• JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited April 2005
    www.newegg.com , all you will need for a new PSU or anything else.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    One thought is to dis-mount the Heat Sink Fan, remove the Thermal Interface Material pad, and re-mount using Artic Silver 5 paste.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    rpmgrlca wrote:
    ...My CPU temp has dropped to the low 40's.
    I tried converting a file again and the temp went up 5 degrees to 46....computer rebooted when it hit 46 degrees with that same error. 46 is not too hot so it shouldn't be heat that's the problem right?
    My computer's CPU runs between 47C and 50C, depending on the room temperature. I don't think your problem is heat-related. Even so, it would be a good idea to use the Artic Silver 5 paste edcentric mentioned.

I'd follow the advice Tex gave you in post #31. Often the answer is right there in the log or error screen just waiting to be discovered. :)
  • edited April 2005
    It reboots with stop error 0x0000009c. Also both PSU's that I tried are 350 wt.

How do I check the systemlogs for errors?
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited April 2005
    As we've all said, you need a quality PSU, I would imagine that both of those 350W are not quality PSU's.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    rpmgrlca wrote:
    It reboots with stop error 0x0000009c. Also both PSU's that I tried are 350 wt.

How do I check the systemlogs for errors?

Control panel/Administrative tools/event viewer.

Or just go to Help and Support and search for event viewer. It will probably cough up links to the actual program,
  • edited May 2005
    It's fixed!!!

So here's what happened... I took it to a local shop where they kept it for 2 days but couldn't find the problem. They said they worked it to death and it didn't reboot once the whole time. So, I paid them their 30 bucks for their time and took the thing home and it rebooted within 2 min of me trying to convert a file. They are so full of crap.

Anyway, we've been trying different things with no change and today my hubby went into the BIOS which I know absolutely nothing about. The L1 and L2 cache were both disabled and the processor was set at 50%. He enabled the cache and upped the processor and my pc now works like a dream. It's good to have a computer that I can do more than browse on.

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Rachael
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited May 2005
    Glad all is well, sometimes it's the simple things that will get you. :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Ah, good news! Don't feel about the errors. Modern hardware - for both AMD and Intel systems for the most part is good quality and generally compatible with different setups. Your specifications and setup are in good order for your machine. BIOS setup can be one of the most frustrating tasks for persons doing their first home build. I should know, I nearly tore my hair out when I first built a computer over BIOS settings.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Side note:

Your brother-in-law. Whenever I hear someone say, "I'd stay away from AMD...", it's an indicator to me that they haven't paid much attention to hardware developments since 1999. Quite often well-meaning people think Intel is the only way to go. Pity. Don't ignore your brother in law in the future concerning computer hardware, but I'd backstop what he says by a visit your friends here at Short-Media.

Concerning the AMD thing. You know, I don't badmouth Chevrolet because the Corvair had problems in the 1960's.