Building my web server

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited May 2005 in Hardware
Yesterday I decided i was going to build myself a server. I'm going to put my website on it, and maybe more in the future. I ordered all the parts i'll need last night and today.

**Case - APEX PC-115 Beige Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811154017

**Mobo - ASUS CUSL2 Socket 370
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6768010897&rd=1

**CPU - Pentium 3 @ 800mhz

**RAM - 256mb PC133 (will upgrade probably)

**HD - Going to use an old 1.3gb Packard Bell hd

**Software - DSL (Damn Small Linux), Apache

**Network Switch - Belkin 8-Port 10/100 Network Switch

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5772882184&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1

**KVM - Belkin 2-Port Switch USB KVM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5767561233&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Case
$40.49
Mobo, CPU, RAM
$55.00
HD
FREE
Sofrware
FREE
Network Switch
$16.58 (so far)
KVM
$36.99
TOTAL $149.06

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    You might want to go a bit bigger for the HD if you plan to have a database and/or compile your programs from source. No need for a KVM once you get the box up and running. You can SSH in from Windows using PuTTY or a similar client. And if you need to edit files, you can either use WinSCP2 or set up a Samba share. I prefer Samba. Also another reason to bump up that HD. Newegg has a 20GB for $46 shipped.

My rig does double duty as a fileserver as well. I've got a PIII 800 CuMine core dually with two 40GB drives and 256MB RAM.

Good luck with your server!:)
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2005
    Kwitko wrote:
    You might want to go a bit bigger for the HD if you plan to have a database and/or compile your programs from source. No need for a KVM once you get the box up and running. You can SSH in from Windows using PuTTY or a similar client. And if you need to edit files, you can either use WinSCP2 or set up a Samba share. I prefer Samba. Also another reason to bump up that HD. Newegg has a 20GB for $46 shipped.

My rig does double duty as a fileserver as well. I've got a PIII 800 CuMine core dually with two 40GB drives and 256MB RAM.

Good luck with your server!:)

oh i never thought about accessing the server that way, but I still dont regret getting the KVM. I've needed one for a while. I get different computers in and out of my house sometimes, and its so much hassle to switch cables back and forth.

So what is the best way to access my server from the internet of another computer? I'd like to use that to do things away from home.

I will get a bigger hd, but just not right now.

Thanks!! :thumbsup:
    edited May 2005
    ok I lied- I bought a bigger hd. I got a great deal (eBay of course) on a 20gb Maxtor- $14.79 with shipping! I could've gotten it much cheaper if they hadn't ripped me off with the outrageous shipping price, though. lol Check it out:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5194371364&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    So what is the best way to access my server from the internet of another computer?

You can SSH in from anywhere.
    edited May 2005
    wth.. in this day in age ur saying i should access my server by a flippin command prompt? cant i ftp it? like ftp://123.456 ??
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Why would you FTP it? That only allows file exchange.. You can't do anything but move files.

SSH is, and probably shall remain, the only real standard for remote administration. The baseball bat hasn't changed much in 100 years either.
    edited May 2005
    well i guess I don't understand it at all. i dont know any unix terminal commands, so im sunk for now. what are some other alternatives? any?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    I can help you with some :).

if your on debian all your probably ever goina use is "apt-get install namehere"
    "cd dirhere" ls "list structure" make and su (super user aka root)

Btw ssh pwns
    edited May 2005
    If you're so dead set against CLI, try remote administration using Webmin.
    edited May 2005
    if u can tell me how to use that webadmin thing and wut it is, thatd be great
    edited May 2005
    Did you click on the link? I think they would do a better job explaining it than I could.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    One thing you'll learn quickly in the unix/linux world is that more often than not, nobody can explain to you how to do things - and even if they did, you won't learn anything. You're way better off just reading the docs, typing stuff in, and learning it yourself. Sometimes, when people seem like they're being pricks by saying "rtfm", what they are really saying is "you won't learn it if I tell you, and you won't ever really use linux... So you should make some mistakes, break things, and then fix them, like we all did... That way, you will become an expert too"
    edited May 2005
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to be rude, but Linux, sort of like working on a car, requires that you get your hands dirty. It's a tough OS to master, and the only way to learn is by doing on your own. Once you get your hands dirty, it's easier to ask questions and easier for people to explain the solution.
    edited May 2005
    ok- well i have a friend that can help me along, and after a while I might have some of it figured out.
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited May 2005
    heh my webserver is.. dun dun dunnnn some old IBM piece of junk. PII-266mhz, 128mb ram and a 1gb hdd..BARELY enough for win2k and apache and various other tidbits. BUT its enough ^^
    edited May 2005
    wow. okay I installed Apache on my computer since the server isnt running yet. Its awesome! Its very fast- people said they got 30-40ms pings. It's http://stevoscomputers.gotdns.com when its running.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    Putty is good. I use it to remote admin our CS:Source servers
    edited May 2005
    Word of advice, change your BMPs to GIFs or JPGs. The graphics are entirely too large.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Rather than hosting the downloads on your computer, I would suggest just links to their homepage - much quicker downloads and you don't have to worry about keeping them up to date...
    edited May 2005
    yeah i had it like that before, but I'd like it like this instead- its much better service and quicker and more convienent
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited May 2005
    Will it fold? :fold:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    It's definitely not quicker...I download at about 60kbps from you - can get way faster from mozilla.org (for example)
    edited May 2005
    no it wont fold- thats stupid. and right now its still on my personal pc, not the built server (cuz it wont work). and ok i didnt realize it was that slow, but I'd still rather do it like this.
  • edited May 2005
    don't forget to keep the filesize small :thumbsup:
    edited May 2005
    keep what filesize small?
  • edited May 2005
    Yes for some of your images you must think of the people that still use the old ways of the internet (56k)

That is all
    edited May 2005
    no it wont fold- thats stupid. and right now its still on my personal pc, not the built server (cuz it wont work). and ok i didnt realize it was that slow, but I'd still rather do it like this.

Why is folding stupid?

And what about those BMP images? Are you going to convert them to JPG or GIF? You'll save yourself a lot of bandwidth for your downloads.
  • edited May 2005
    Please do make them smaller it takes quite some time to load them up. not good for dial-up users, not good at all. Most the people still use dial up 56k
    edited May 2005
    really?? theyre just regular small pictures! which ones should I change??

http://stevoscomputers.gotdns.com
    edited May 2005
    AVG: 115k
    Azureus: 235k
    DVD Decryptor: 65k
    DVD Shrink: 74k
    Firefox: 121k
    GIMP: 99k
    Limewire: 24k
    Maxthon: 106k
    ZoneAlarm: 43k

Bitmaps are HUGE files. Those images should be 10-15k each maximum. Make them JPG or GIF.

I won't even go on about the enormous files on your custom computer page. 406k??? :wtf: