Welcome SM25 to Team 93!

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Folding@Home
SM25, folding under the wings of newly anointed SMx Host DRASNOR, has turned in her first WU! Congrats to the whole team, and especially to Drasnor! :thumbsup:
:smokin:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    :scratch::eek::confused::D

He didn't even tell me the package had arrived yet! ;D

Guys, this was mailed late last Friday afternoon. I didn't even think it would get there until Wednesday or so. drasnor, my man, you don't fool around, do you? :thumbsup:

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Unless the shipper intercepted it and plugged it in ;D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    Awesome!! Great job dransnor!
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    It arrived Monday, a whole 1 hour after I finished modding the case. I had it built by the end of the day and started installing Linux the following morning. I'm not sure, but I believe SM25 may be our first Tux-powered SMx machine. I turned on some pretty aggressive optimizations when I compiled Gentoo so SM25 is a lean, mean folding machine (the optimization string is: -O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=sse,387 -mmmx -msse -m3dnow). The -mfpmath=sse,387 is so aggressive it won't work on any of my Pentium 3 systems (works fine on the Athlons though ;))

Here's the certificate for posterity:
    cert.php?u=SM25&pts=1&t=wus&bg=3

-drasnor :fold:

EDIT: I think I'm going to use a custom sig for SM25 to commemorate:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Thank you, Drasnor. You make us proud!

:thumbsup:
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    drasnor wrote:
    .... I'm not sure, but I believe SM25 may be our first Tux-powered SMx machine.

SM15 has been tux-powered since dec 15th last year.

nice sig though

:)

M
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Nice work, drasnor! We knew you were the right man for the job.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Good choice Team... SM25 is rocking!!!! Thanks for getting her up so fast!!! :thumbsup:
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Can Gentoo's optimizations really improve the WU crunching power?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Can Gentoo's optimizations really improve the WU crunching power?
    Since the client downloads precompiled binaries for the cores, my hunch says no. Fortunately, the compile-time optimizations are only part of what makes Gentoo so fast, the other part being the amount of kernel tweaking I did. The compile-time optimizations will help with keeping the appetite of all of the not-folding processes down so between the two it ought to do alright.

The main nice thing with Gentoo is that we used a 2GB drive for SM25 with one gigabyte being entirely swap. If SM25 had only 256MB of RAM, we could have built it on a 1GB-1.5GB drive.
    mondi wrote:
    SM15 has been tux-powered since dec 15th last year.
    See? I'm never first at anything :bawling:. Good work and you're welcome to use that graphic. Truthfully I only put it up there because the SM sig generator needed the pic hosted somewhere.

-drasnor :fold: