Online Vigilantes Fight Back Against Phishing Fraudsters

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
As fraudsters continue to target their victims with increasingly elaborate phishing sites, the surprise appearance of anti-phishing vigilantes is now hampering their operations.
paypal-vigilante.jpg
Phishing sites are commonly found hosted on compromised web servers, where lack of security allows fraudsters to access machines and upload phishing content. If a fraudster exploits these security weaknesses without subsequently securing the machine, then online vigilantes are just as likely to exploit the weaknesses to go in and replace the fraudulent content.
Submitted by: Kwitko

Source: News.Netcraft

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    .. and while I don't agree with it...

The Hunters become the hunted :cool:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I like the idea. These bastards really bug me, and they're getting craftier all the time.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    The good hacker.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Score for the 'White Hats'. :thumbsup:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited May 2005
    What's good for the Goose.....
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    as long as they can control themselves and target only phishing sites then I dont have a problem with it. Once they cross the line and target a non-phishing site, its over.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Once they cross the line and target a non-phishing site, its over.
    What about spammers? Legal or not - they are slime.