Team 93: Officially support DIMES?

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited June 2005 in Folding@Home
I think now would be a good time to officially decide whether or not to support the DIMES project.

Our thread relating to the DIMES project

Support would imply that we adopt it as an official project with Folding@Home, although F@H would, of course, remain our primary project. In this case, since there is no conflict between the projects, it could also mean adding the client to the SMx rigs.

What say you, team? :)

(I've set the poll for 7 days)

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    :thumbsup: Another good use of idle PC's....
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Aren't some of the SMx rigs running linux? There's no client for linux yet :(
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2005
    I run DIMES when I'm not gamin online or trying to download something... Ping times go way up.

Sounds good for the SMx rigs though. :thumbsup:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    shwaip wrote:
    Aren't some of the SMx rigs running linux? There's no client for linux yet :(
    I wouldn't advocate switching OSes over it. We'll just do what we can. :)
  • edited June 2005
    I say stick with F@H. Why mess with another project when we're struggling with F@H as much as we are (in terms of team stats)?
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited June 2005
    I say no because I think it could confuse new teamates if we're supporting more than one project. I do think it's good thing to support but I think it should be on an individual rather than team basis so that we keep things simple & clear for potential folding team mates.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I think we should go for it, but be sure to keep F@H as the priority and make that clear to new team members. It seems like we're moving up the ranks pretty quickly, why not add some machines!
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited June 2005
    I think we should see a side by side production comparison of a machine that folds for a week without the DIMES client, and one week while running the DIMES client just to be sure that it will not affect folding production first.

If that has already been done, sorry for my ignorance.

Matter of fact, sorry for my ignorance anyways ;D

I have withheld my vote for the time being.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited June 2005
    I'm going with the majority of whatever decision :D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I don't think it's a good idea. We have enough trouble keeping all 25 rigs up while running just one program. Not that the current or future hosts can't handle running two programs, but the simpler we keep it, the better.
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited June 2005
    FormFactor wrote:
    I think we should see a side by side production comparison of a machine that folds for a week without the DIMES client, and one week while running the DIMES client just to be sure that it will not affect folding production first.

June 6 I turned in 3,847 points with my farm.. I think that is the highest number of folding points in one day in 2 years for me. By the way, I have 10 less computers since June 1 - everything I have is full time F@H AND Dimes ! Jack
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I don't think we should require that each SMx rig also run dimes, but I do think we should leave it at the hosts' discretion. If the host wants to run DIMES on the smx machine, then I think we should allow it.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I don't think we should require that each SMx rig also run dimes, but I do think we should leave it at the hosts' discretion. If the host wants to run DIMES on the smx machine, then I think we should allow it.
    Yeah.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Those are my sentiments too. Let the host decide but don't make it manditory.
  • edited June 2005

After messing with the program and determining it does in fact use almost no CPU time, I can agree with this. In fact, I might even wrap it in as a part of the duties.

I still dont think the info DIMES provides is THAT useful, but whatever.
    edited June 2005
    witenoiz wrote:
    June 6 I turned in 3,847 points with my farm.. I think that is the highest number of folding points in one day in 2 years for me. By the way, I have 10 less computers since June 1 - everything I have is full time F@H AND Dimes ! Jack

Wait, are you angry at me? I meant no offense. Sorry if I offended, I just meant maybe we should give this proper testing before rolling out to production.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005

Quoted for truth.
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited June 2005
    FormFactor wrote:
    Wait, are you angry at me? I meant no offense. Sorry if I offended, I just meant maybe we should give this proper testing before rolling out to production.

??? That was what I have done while running dimes - I thought it was worded in such a way to show that it hasn't affected folding for me and I have been running dimes on all my boxes and blades since shortly after prime formed the team. I will be more careful in the future in the wording of answers. Well, heck! I still don't see where that made me sound angry.

And I voted for adding dimes to the team computers but I like the idea of leaving that as an option to the caregiver of those individual boxes. Jack
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2005
    I am running it right now and it doesnt take any CPU, at least while looking at the Task Manager it usually stays at 0% with the window closed.
    edited June 2005
    witenoiz wrote:
    ??? That was what I have done while running dimes - I thought it was worded in such a way to show that it hasn't affected folding for me and I have been running dimes on all my boxes and blades since shortly after prime formed the team. I will be more careful in the future in the wording of answers. Well, heck! I still don't see where that made me sound angry.

And I voted for adding dimes to the team computers but I like the idea of leaving that as an option to the caregiver of those individual boxes. Jack

;D hilarious... your name must be Jack... the way u sigh your posts, I thought you meant like you were calling me Jack. U know like "hit the road jack" Thats an expression we use around here... like "Whatever Jack". ;D

Not that Jack is a bad name or anything... nevermind you get my point. :scratch:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    FormFactor, obviously you don't know Jack. ;D

BTW: If witenoiz (Jack) says it doesn't mess up Folding that's good enough for me. Just check out his score. :respect:
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    SM24 is in!

Take note - Having the display open and admiring the pretty map will cost you big time CPU cycles, be sure to always leave it minimized.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I say we encourage SMx hosts to run DIMES, but not make it mandatory. They've already got plenty of responsibilities. If our DIMES effort negatively impacts F@H in any way, I say we can it, Jack!
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited June 2005
    Sofar is looks like there has been no change in folding with us. Points may be down a touch due to Sally's P4 3.4 being out of action, but not due to Dimes, which is running on most of the computers.

As far as SMX computers are concerned, i believe the hosts should have the option to either run it or not. Folding must always be the priority as that is what the machines are meant to do.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    I don't see it impacting folding at all. My points are down right now because I've been doing maint. on the rigs. (plus getting another online :D ). Wish I coould get it to go on win 98 box, but it's still folding.

SMX rigs? Leave the option open after all we do have a TEAM Short-Media, diming.

Dimes might be a good option for peoples rigs that aren't quite stable enough to fold, or don't want to commit the resources that folding takes.

Folding is still #1 :fold:
    edited June 2005
    Good Poll and good discussion.... Keep it up guys (and gals).

My view has changed a bit... Allow the Host to determine if they want to run DIMES. Still a yes, but a modified Yes. :thumbsup:
    edited June 2005
    {bump}
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    My vote is 'no' - I don't think we should place official support into this project, for the reasons stated above of confusing new team members with 2 projects. It's often hard enough to get a new member up and folding properly, with DIMES in the mix it might be difficult to attract new members. I'm not of the opinion that we should prevent DIMES from being run on SMx rigs, rather leave it to the host's discretion per machine. Similarly, each member of Team Short-Media can determine whether they want to contribute to the DIMES project as well, but I don't think we should distract much of our team's focus away from folding - ie, no subforum for DIMES stuff, or trying to recruit new members on the basis of DIMES instead of Folding. I Fold for Life - a map of the internet isn't going to cure anybody's diseases. Let's leave our team's official focus in Folding, and contribute to DIMES as individuals (on Team Short-Media of course) as we each see fit. :thumbsup:
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I give my support to un-offically support but I think we need have our main focus on f@h. That being said, I have it on my work machine, and will put it on my 3 home systems, but not my girlfriends laptop. It will not go on the rest of the machines I manage at work. My deal for f@h on the work systems was that as long as it doesn't affect the users in any way, go for it. With dimes, there is an icon in the system tray that I don't want the users to be able to see, so if in the future dimes comes out with a service mode similar to the console that 5.02 offers, then I will look at it again.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    DanG - I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too hard to get DIMES to run as a service. My windows explorer restarted today and my cactus wasn't visible in the system tray. Thinking that the Explorer crash somehow killed DIMES, I went to start a new instance but it said that it was already running on the system.

I don't know what happened, but I figure that if it can still run without showing up in my task bar, thats a decent sign that it could run as a service.