Aptiva Series 2172 Motherboard, specs???

edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hi, i just wanted to ask if anyone knows the memory and CPU support specs for the IBM Aptiva 2172-75A Motherboard (part no.01N1943)? :confused:

Ive tried looking for infomation on the internet, but i couldnt find anything. Ive looked at the IBM site, but apprently their site claims that my computer model doesnt exist :rolleyes: So ive sent an email to them. but just incase i thought i'd ask here aswell :D
As far as i know it can support 256mb of memory (128mb per stick, this is what im using but im not sure if it can support more).
But i wanted to know whats that maximum amount of memory it can support per stick and in total (im sure it cant handle a stick of 512mb, the motherboard doesnt even register it, but it still starts up properly :p

Also, i need to know what processor FSB can it support (133mhz?), i know it can support 100mhz because that's the one it came with.

Any other specifications for this board would also be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Comments

• edited June 2005
    Check the motherboard BIOS for the available FSB/CPU speeds. RAM info you should be able to get from companies like PNY or Kingston, as it's their business to help you upgrade your machine (and sell you the right products for the job).

Good luck getting any info out of IBM. They're the last place that would want you to upgrade your hardware without paying them to do it for you.
  • edited June 2005
    thanks, i know now how much memory my motherboard can handle. However i still dont understand what you mean by checking the motherboard BIOS, that will only tell me what my current processor is running at, not fastest processor it can handle.
  • edited June 2005
    Is there anyone who can tell me how to find out the maxium (FSB) CPU my motherboard can handle :confused:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    100MHz. It's a 440ZX board designed for Pentium II.
  • edited June 2005
    Umm, im sure its a (Acer?) V66M-2Z (IBM part no.01N1943) Motherboard designed for Pentium 3, because that's what the sticker on the front says, and ive got a pentium 3 processor in it :D

But if you are 100% sure, :scratch: thankyou for telling me.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    That info would have been helpful earlier. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it is indeed a PIII, but because it's limited to 100MHz FSB, I believe the best you can do is 550MHz.
  • edited June 2005
    Lol, sorry:o I just found that out, while i was looking for more infomation. Ive currently got a 600mhz (slot1) processor in it at the moment [so that's good :thumbsup:], i was thinking of upgrading to a 1ghz. Ive found one that has an FSB of 100mhz so that should work in my motherboard:D, right?

Oh and just incase, heres a little more info: My motherboard can support a maximum of 256mb of SDRAM, which means that's a maximum of 128mb perstick, (because ive only got 2 memory slots).
    edited June 2005
    It's an issue of voltage and/or multiplier. You need to check in BIOS to see what the highest multiplier is for that board, if it's not multiplier locked.
  • edited June 2005
    Well ive just checked in BIOS (via startup screen + F1), and i cant find anything about voltaged or multipliers. The only thing that i managed to find was - "Processor Serial Number Access" which is currently set to "disabled".

My current processor states that it runs at 2.05v (600mhz) and the 1 ghz processor states that it runs at 1.7v.
  • edited June 2005
    Wow. I had no idea the machine was that old.

Even if you could upgrade it to 1GHz, the CPU you would need would be very expensive for its speed. It'd be much more worth your while to buy a new mobo and proc, rather than trying to upgrade what you have now.
  • edited June 2005
    Yeah i think it's about 6 years old :(

Well im buying the processor off ebay so it doesnt cost that much, and the person im buying it off, has assured me that he has tested it recently, and it works. And since the FSB is the same as my current processor im quite confident that it will work :cool:
    [what's this "multipler" thingy and how do i test my motherboard for it? :confused:]

Ive just been wondering if my motherboard could handle a processor with an FSB of 133mhz, but apprently it can't :shakehead

Also ive become quite attached to my pc, so im not planning to upgrade to P4 :D
    Anyway ive got other P4 computers in my house that i can use. :thumbsup:
  • rykoryko new york
    edited June 2005
    you will need a BIOS update in order to run the faster cpu. just b/c it has a 100fsb doesn't mean that your mobo will reccognize it off the bat.
  • edited June 2005
    Well im sure that ive already downloaded and flashed my motherboard BIOS with the latest version (2000). However i will check again :D
  • edited June 2005
    Ok, after long hours of net surfing i found out that my motherboard has a maximum "Bus Clock Ratio" of "8", is this the same as that "multipler" thingy?

And for some reason, every single page that mentions my PC, on the IBM support and help site, has been erased :wtf: :shakehead :scratch::mad:
    Because of this i can't find out if i have the latest BIOS, but i used the "IBM Update Connector" and it seemed happy with the current BIOS i have :rolleyes:
    edited June 2005
    I guess the highest would be an 800MHz PIII (8x100).
  • edited June 2005
    Damn, but if i put a 1ghz in it, shouldnt it just run at 800mhz instead of 1000mhz? :(

I think this might work, because i actually had my motherboard running at (2x100mhz) and i had a 600mhz processor in it, and it worked! ;D

However im not sure if the motherboard automatically regulated itself to the correct speed electronically (the switches are physical) :confused:
  • edited June 2005
    If you put a 1Ghz processor in it, it'll run at 800mhz. But then, what's the point?

Any idea what kind of RAM you have on that motherboard? DIMMs?
  • edited June 2005
    The point is that im able to aquire a cheap 1ghz working processor instead of paying for a more expensive 800mhz processor. I just wanted to know the maximum limits of my motherboard to see if it will support the 1ghz processor.

I got 2xDIMMs both with 1x128mb SDRAM in them, comming to a total of 256mb. Apparently that's the maximum amount of RAM my motherboard will support.
  • edited June 2005
    How much are you getting it for after shipping?
  • edited June 2005
    Around $80.
  • edited June 2005
    Seriously?!

You do know that processors much faster then that are going for around $50, right?

You're making a big mistake trying to upgrade this system.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    You're making a big mistake trying to upgrade this system.
    I agree. I'd just put the improvement money into a pot and start saving for a new system.

It's like putting fat exhaust tips on a Honda Civic... Oh, hmm, people do that, don't they? ;D
  • edited June 2005
    Really, faster for $50? where from? (I wouldve got a faster cpu but intel didnt make anything faster than a 1000mhz processor in slot 1 type).

Exhaust Tips?? I dont think thats a correct comparison of the two subjects, it would be better to compare the actual engine of the car (since the cpu of a computer is basically equivilent to an engine of a car).

Well, i think ill probably will just save for a new motherboard, CPU & RAM. :)
    ,Although it depends if someone decided to take on my bid, first ;D
  • rykoryko new york
    edited June 2005
    Exhaust Tips?? I dont think thats a correct comparison of the two subjects, it would be better to compare the actual engine of the car (since the cpu of a computer is basically equivilent to an engine of a car).

i think the exhaust tips analogy is a decent one. after all the exhaust is routed directly from the engine so it could be considered part of it. and essentially there i no perfomance increase when adding exhaust tips. same goes for your cpu upgrade. even though you are swapping out entire engines per say, there will be little to no performance increase. that is the point Leonardo was trying to make.

anyway i did a quick look at newegg and came up with something cheap but decent... (around $181 w/ shipping)

amd sepron 2600+, s754 = $75
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104226

wintec 512mb ddr400 = $38
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820161615

abit ku8, s754 mobo = $68
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127210

there are tons of options avaliable, so it would be unwise to invest any amount of money into such an old system.
  • edited June 2005
    Even if you do get the CPU to run at 1000Mhz, you'll still have a peice of **** computer.

It's more like putting a 10hp engine in an electric golf cart. It'll be faster than when it was with the electric engine, but it's still not anywhere near useful enough for more than driving over well-trimmed lawns.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    TheSmJ wrote:
    If you put a 1Ghz processor in it, it'll run at 800mhz.
    That isn't true. All Pentium II and Pentium III processors are multiplier-locked. Board multipliers on Intel platforms are useful only for setting the speed of Covington and Mendocino Celerons.

It is true that your machine probably won't recognize new processors, but if it will boot with an unknown processor (many Dells of this era can) and you're dead-set on keeping this machine alive, I'd look at getting a Tualatin Celeron processor (1.2-1.4GHz @ 100MHz FSB & 256KB of L2 cache) and a slocket (Upgradeware Slot-T). Together they shouldn't set you back more than $50.

If you don't game then a machine like this is more than adequate for running Office and surfing the web. I use a similar machine (Dell Dimension XPS R-series w/ 1.3GHz Celeron, 384MB RAM, i440BX chipset) as a Linux test platform and multimedia PC. It won't do more than one or two things at the same time due to the lack of RAM, but it is far from obsolete.

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited June 2005
    I was actually thinking about getting a slocket adapter (as opposed to getting a 1 ghz), most likey from Powerleap, im just wondering, if i use the adapter, could i use an FSB of 133mhz?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    If you are fond of that computer, by all means keep it and use it. I just don't get why you want to spend any money at all on it. That's the point some of us are trying to make. If it were broken, and would not work, and had only money for minor repairs, but no money for a new machine, it would make sense to spend money on it. Just don't spend money on it - start saving, even if little bit by little bit, for a new computer.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I was actually thinking about getting a slocket adapter (as opposed to getting a 1 ghz), most likey from Powerleap, im just wondering, if i use the adapter, could i use an FSB of 133mhz?
    The Powerleap adapters are more expensive than their benefit imho, but it's your money. They include a lot of features you can't use like off-board voltage regulation and multiprocessor support which adds to the cost. In any case, there are two very good reasons why you won't be able to use 133MHz FSB:
    1) Your computer is OEM, made by IBM. As a rule, OEM machines can't be overclocked (the Intel specification states the 440 chipset series only supports 66MHz and 100MHz bus speeds). 133MHz isn't supported by Intel so IBM won't let you do it. If you had made your own computer 6 years ago using a third-party motherboard then maybe 133MHz would be a possibility, but nearly all OEM's lock out unsupported operational modes to cut down on the warranty technical support. The exceptions to this rule are all very expensive.
    2) I'm only aware of one 440 series chipset that can overclock to 133MHz consistently without becoming unstable: the performance and stability-oriented i440BX. This has to do with several factors including the design of the memory controller and the supported PCI and AGP frequency dividers. Your chipset is the budget-oriented i440ZX so even if you were to somehow aquire a hacked BIOS for your IBM that allows you to overclock, odds are your chipset won't hit 133MHz reliably. The Aptivas were IBM's budget line, so I wouldn't be expecting anything great performance-wise.

I agree with all of these fellows that you should be seriously thinking about getting a new computer. If you feel confident enough to install a slocket then you shouldn't have any trouble assembling your own computer. I've had to sort out wierd jumper/voltage/frequency/compatibility problems using slockets and I can tell you right now building from scratch is a lot easier than trying to figure out how badly the OEM screwed you. Getting a slocket and a Celeron will be cheaper than buying a new machine but if you're in this for another 6 years you may want to bite the bullet.

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited June 2005
    Well im trying to find a slotket that gives me the most control (voltage, FSB, etc). Powerleap seem like a good option because it furthurs "the control" by having the ability of using processors in motherboards that cant support the voltage.