Heatsink - What's a good choice for...

MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
edited January 2006 in Hardware
...a TYAN S2668ANR with Xeon 2.66 H/T procs?

I have the Intel h/s/f's that came with the procs, but they do not fit snug. I need something affordable that will do a good job cooling. With the Intel ones the system shuts down all the time, so I haven't used it in months. I need to get it fired back up.

Please advise what works well with this combo.

M/B - TYAN S2668ANR
CPU - Intel Xeon 2.66 H/T
Case - Antec 1030 (I think that's the model)

TIA,
Bill

Comments

• MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2005
    I guess since nobody has a suggestion, I'm going to try thermal pads. Maybe they will be thicker than the thermal paste and make the h/s fit a little tighter.
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2005
    i think geeky1 was using slk-800s on his dual xeons...
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    How are those held down? I don't have the Intel's or that board, but I'm sure we could come up with something. I've got a pair of Coolermasters on a pc-dl (socket 604) and they have their own backplates and brackets w/latches. Decent cooling sinks but expensive.

I don't know what the Egg has, but check Orbit Micro That's where I found mine.
    edited June 2005
    Thanks guys. I'll check further. I couldn't find anything on Newegg, but maybe Orbit will have something.

Donut: They mount like what you described. All the mounting pieces came together. That's why I don't understand why they are loose.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2005
    This is what I have for attachment on mine,

Is this similar to yours? (the mounts not the sink.)
    edited June 2005
    I haven't looked at them in awhile, but best I remember that's what they look like. I think the wire latch might be a little different.
    edited June 2005
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    JChretien wrote:
    i think geeky1 was using slk-800s on his dual xeons...
    Geeky1 wrote:
    the heatsinks on my xeons are some generic copper things with 70-80mm adapters and vantec tornados
    It never hurts to ask :).

-drasnor :fold:
    edited January 2006
    I finally ordered a pair of these heatsinks tonight. I hope this resolves the problem so I can get my dually back up and folding. :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Good luck, MrBill. :)
    edited January 2006
    My wife said they arrived today. Hopefully I will be able to work on it tonight, but that depends on how my trip to the dentist goes this afternoon. ;)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Good luck with the dentist, too, MrBill. :eek3:
    edited January 2006
    It took me about an hour to take it all apart and put it back together (including looking for thermal grease, cat5 cable, power cord, etc.), but it's been running for about 15-20 minutes SO FAR. :)

These new heat sinks fit much better than the crappy Intel ones, so I'm hoping it won't overheat and shut down.

Off I go to find something to monitor the temps...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Good work. Must be fun tinkering with a duallie.:bigggrin:

Bill, once you've ensured the system's stability, would you please post a thread on Folding@Home points production? I'd be very interested to see how it compares to a dual core processor machine.
    edited January 2006
    According to Tyan's monitoring software, both procs are running at 43c after 100% load for over an hour.