Prime 95 24hr Stability Test - Screen Shots

Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Prime 95 24hr Stability Test - If you can do it Post a screenie!

Mobo: EPoX 9NDA3+ v2.1
CPU: Winchester 3200+ 2.5ghz v1.55
Memory: G Skill TCCD 1GB "LE"
Heatsink: Stock AMD Athlon 64 Copper Bottom Heatsink w AS Ceramique
PSU: Generic 600w 12v@20A, 5v@40A 3.3v@30A

Not the greatest OC but it's STABLE :D

DURATION: 29hrs 58mins 57 seconds

Comments

• Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2005
    Mobo: EPoX 9NDA3+ v2.1
    CPU: Winchester 3000+ 2.3ghz v1.55
    Memory: G Skill TCCD 1GB "LE"
    Heatsink: Stock AMD Athlon 64 Copper Bottom Heatsink w AS Ceramique
    PSU: Generic 600w 12v@20A, 5v@40A 3.3v@30A

Not the greatest OC but it's STABLE :D

DURATION: 25hrs 43mins 26 seconds
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    And waste FAH time?? Are you crazy!1;)
    edited July 2005
    You cant Fold 24/7 until you can Prime 24/7 ;D;D;D

It's a Crawl, Walk then Run thing
    edited July 2005
    FAH is my stability test.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I generally prefer olympic sprint, trip on the hurdle, try again, watch everyone else trip, then go for the gold.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    You cant Fold 24/7 until you can Prime 24/7
    You don't need to "Prime 24/7" if you can already fold 24/7, with an overclock, with multi-tasking, with...

:D
    edited August 2005
    Personally I prefer not to lose WU as I'm only running 2 CPUS, but for those who like to look at their worklogs and say **WTF**

Then post.....Why am I losing WUs, my MP3 player and Browser run just fine.... ;D;D

Those who Can Do, Those who Cant, claim it doesn't matter..... :D
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    I don't have a screenshot, but I completed over 24 hours on the blend torture test
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited August 2005
    WTF is this?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Prime 95 attempts to factor possible mersenne primes (2^(prime) - 1) to see if they are indeed prime numbers.

The torture test compares the results you get from a FFT to a known result to check for errors and stability problems.
    edited August 2005
    Everyone knows that 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and every odd number after that are all prime numbers.
    edited August 2005
    not only is 9 non-prime, 15 isn't, 21 isn't...

You're fired.

edit:

and 1 is not prime either.
    edited August 2005
    Whoops, good point! Okay, everyone knows that 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 49, 51, 53, 57, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 77, 79, 83, 87, 89, 91, 97, 101, 103, 107, 109, etc., etc. are all prime numbers, except for multiples of 5.
    edited August 2005
    1 isn't prime. (neither are 49 or 77)

and the prime numbers that prime95 is trying to factor are huge - the most recent one found is 2^(25,964,951) -1, which has more than 7,000,000 digits.

edit:

You're still fired. ;D

edit2:

This brings up a good point though. It's easy to tell whether or not a smaller integer is composite or prime, as you can just try to divide it by all the integers up to 1/2 the number. However, once you get bigger, it's really hard to tell if an integer is composite (provided the integer is odd): 836381, for example. I know it's composite because I made it by multiplying prime numbers, but you really can't tell just by looking at it. And that's only a 6 digit number. It takes too long of a time for a computer to determine if a very large number is prime or composite using division by smaller numbers, so there are assorted algorithms used to determine primality.
    edited August 2005
    Heh, i just made a program to find the xth prime number a user inputs. If you enter 1, it will come back as 2 and so on with up to 3 threads running at once.
    edited August 2005
    just a LUT or what?
    edited August 2005
    I think LUT means Loop Up Table?

No, no table. It goes thru every number and finds if it as a prime number by dividing and using the % operator. You could enter 1,000,000,000,000,000... if you wanted to but it will take while. About 2.5 min for 40,000 on my 1.6 P-M.
    edited August 2005
    Nice signature! :thumbsup: You really have it out for me, don't you? ;D I propose a truce!
    edited August 2005
    @mmonnin
    LUT = Look Up Table
    I hope you're only going up to i=x/2 for x%i - otherwise you're just doing wasted calculations :-P

@checkmate
    I don't have it out for you in particular - I would have done the same for anyone else.
    edited August 2005
    LOL! So, how long do you plan on keeping it?

EDIT: Is this number Prime? 17859815757571764576471457645161
    edited August 2005
    no.
    edited August 2005
    Why not?
    edited August 2005
    because I made an educated guess.

While there are an infinite number of both prime and composite numbers, for a large finite number (Let's say it's your number, plus 1), there are more composite numbers than prime numbers between it and zero. And if I say it isn't, then you have to prove me wrong by dividing the number by every number up to half the number (or prove me right by doing so); whereas if I say it is prime, you only have to find a number that divides it. Also, I assume you're going to ask a question you know the answer to, so I assume you created it by multiplying primes to form a composite number.

EDIT:
    And it's not prime because if you sum all the digits, you get a number which is divisible by 3, which means the number itself is divisible by 3 :p
    edited August 2005
    Apparently you were correct in saying that the number was not prime. It's not on this list
    edited August 2005
    I think that's not all the 32 digit primes: It's all the 32 digit primes that are factors of (10^10^100) - 1 .
    edited August 2005
    could a mod please split this thread, as it's now gone horribly off topic :p (somewhere after this post i guess).
    edited August 2005
    This is the prime finding part of the program: We had to find the xth number of primes. Say I entered 3, the result is 5 since it is the 3rd prime number.
    while(count != numOfPrimes) //Do until you find correct number of primes
    	{
    		for(int i = 2; i <= number; ++i)
    		{

if(j != i && (j%i == 0))
    			{
    				isPrime = false;
    				break;
    			}
    		}
    		if(isPrime && j != 1)
    		{
    			primeposition = j;
    			count++;	//Increment number of primes found
    		}
    		isPrime = true;
    		j++;
    		number++;

}

The purpose of the lab was to make 3 max threads in XP running at the same time. Once one was done the user could enter another if desired if not then the program would wait for all threads to complete before exiting. The purpose was not to get a good/correct algorithm (in fact he signed off on the lab with all kinds of results) but rather the threading execution in Windows.
    edited August 2005
    after you do the first one (i=2), if you increment by 2, you'll skip all the even numbers and it should be (about) twice as fast.

If you don't mind using some memory, if you store primes you found previously in an array, you can speed it up a lot, as you don't need to check to see if a number is divisible by composities, only by primes to see if it is prime.

for fun with threads, try running this one:

while(fork() || !fork()){
    fork();
    }
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    There's only one Prime that I love.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Oh... :rolleyes:

;D