939 heatsink suggestions

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited September 2005 in Hardware
My stock AMD heatsink fan that came with my new 3200+ is really loud, and I need to replace it soon. I'm looking for a 25-28db or quieter fan, and around $35 or less. Just rough ideas, nothing strict. So I need suggestions! Please post them. Thanks :cool:

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    Zalman 7000 series cooler.

Don't come much more quiet or better then that.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    this one looks pretty good, but how can I make sure it'll fit in my case and on my motherboard?

I was also thinking of this one.
  • edited August 2005
    THERMALRIGHT XP-120 Heatsink

I use that on my 4000+.

Works great, and has great reviews everywhere.

Check the compatibility with your motherboard first though.
    edited August 2005
    hm thats frickin huge and i think it would stick out too much

My last thermaltake cpu cooler was fabulous, so I might just get one of those. Not sure though
  • edited August 2005
    hm thats frickin huge and i think it would stick out too much

My last thermaltake cpu cooler was fabulous, so I might just get one of those. Not sure though

It's the best cooling solution I've used and actually isn't that big or hard to install as long as it is compatible.:thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Pilot, please don't confuse Thermalright and Thermaltake. The former has a reputation for high quality and high effectiveness, while the latter's history is spotty. I've used both Thermalright and Zalman HSFs. Both have performed very well. For outright cooling efficiency, I'd give the edge to Thermalright, but for a superb compromise of low noise and performance, Zalman is the winner. The Thermalright looks very attractive. With the large exposure area at the top, you could mount a low RPM 120mm fan and get excellent air movement with very low noise.
  • edited August 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Pilot, please don't confuse Thermalright and Thermaltake. The former has a reputation for high quality and high effectiveness, while the latter's history is spotty. I've used both Thermalright and Zalman HSFs. Both have performed very well. For outright cooling efficiency, I'd give the edge to Thermalright, but for a superb compromise of low noise and performance, Zalman is the winner. The Thermalright looks very attractive. With the large exposure area at the top, you could mount a low RPM 120mm fan and get excellent air movement with very low noise.

I couldn't have said it better, great post. :thumbsup:
  • rykoryko new york
    edited August 2005
    don't forget the xp-90 and it's variants... svc has some good deals on them right now.

xp-90 = $25
    http://www.svc.com/xp-90-21.html

xp-90 w/ 92mm fan = $29
    http://www.svc.com/xp90-ret-21.html

xp-90c = $48
    http://www.svc.com/xp-90c-21.html

also this 90mm blue led sf2 matches nicely with the xp-90. i have this combo and it's nice b/c you can use the manual fan control to crank it up for gaming and then back down to normal for everything else. or you can use the temp. controller if you do want to mess with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999121
  • edited August 2005
    Zalman also has a new 7700 series of hsf that uses a 120mm fan which looks real promising. Here's a link at SVC to it. And here's a link to the mobo compatability page for socket 754/939/940 to see if it fits your board.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    ryko wrote:
    don't forget the xp-90 and it's variants... svc has some good deals on them right now.

xp-90 = $25
    http://www.svc.com/xp-90-21.html

xp-90 w/ 92mm fan = $29
    http://www.svc.com/xp90-ret-21.html

xp-90c = $48
    http://www.svc.com/xp-90c-21.html

also this 90mm blue led sf2 matches nicely with the xp-90. i have this combo and it's nice b/c you can use the manual fan control to crank it up for gaming and then back down to normal for everything else. or you can use the temp. controller if you do want to mess with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999121
    The XP-90 is a great HS and performs almost as well as the XP-120. I know as I have both in use right now.
    • The XP-90 w/ fan is as actually louder than the stock HS as the fan they pack with it is not so quiet.
    • The XP-90C is not much more efficient than the regular XP-90 for a lot more money.
    • The Zallman 7000 series will fit on most A64 boards and are very quiet.
    • Get your heatsink from svc.com as they are cheaper, good service and offer cheaper shipping for heavy items. I like their *USPS "Priority Mail" shipping option.

Yes, Leonardo said it very well and I recomend his advice!
    edited August 2005
    I'm going to do some research on the Zalman 7000 series now. It sounds pretty good. Thanks for all the tips
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2005
    Great suggestions above. I've heard nothing but great things about the new Zalmans.. I know Tex uses them all the time, and loves them.

Personally, I'd get an aluminum Thermalright XP-90, and a nice panaflow low-medium fan. If you have a rheostat or fan controller, you can tweak the fan speed to your tastes. XP90s are on sale all over, and you can get one for a great price..
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2005
    I have a 3200+ running on an XP-120 in the back room right now at 2.5ghz, and while folding with a cruddy Nikao blue LED fan (not my choice) its very stable at 38-40C. I really recommend it ^^
  • edited August 2005
    I've noticed my CPU temp go up about 8 degrees idle since I began folding...

It used to be 32 celcius idle, 40 celcius load.

Now it's 40 -42 celcius all the time.
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:

It used to be 32 celcius idle, 40 celcius load.

Now it's 40 -42 celcius all the time.

Your thermal paste craped out :(. (Ive had the same happen on other machines)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    When you're Folding, your CPU is never idle. That's the point. ;)
  • edited August 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    Your thermal paste craped out :(. (Ive had the same happen on other machines)

Well I left my computer off for like 12 hours and it's back down to 34-36 "idle" FAH.

And considering I only had an increase since FAH, I don't think that could be the problem.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    I'm sure it's just the F@H program. With nearly 100% CPU usage you are going to see some additional heat. It's just like any other program running your system under full load, except this one may eventually save millions of lives. :)
    edited August 2005
    Oh WITH fah.

Fah uses 100% of your cpu all the time.
  • edited August 2005
    Yeah I noticed my CPU is constantly at 40 celcius.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited August 2005
    I have a XP-90C and all i can say is that it kick *ss ;)

It's heavy for the size but it's all in copper and with it & mounted with a high-speed Panaflow i got about 29C idle and maximum 35C under load. Weight is not a 'known issue' for it as it is well fixed. The only problem with XP-90C is that it is 'hard' to find. If temperature is the MOST important for you go for it and you can't go wrong. If not, go with Zalman or take the xp90 , with what i read their is no real performance difference between XP-90 & XP-120, and i found the XP-120 a way too much huge... But in the end, that's your choice =) I must admit that the zalman flower design is great... it's a choice of maximum performance (Thermalright) VS design (zalman) maybe...
  • edited August 2005
    What about the Gigabyte G-Power Pro I have that is it any good? Am using it on my Athlon 64 3500 socket 939
    edited August 2005
    From what i've read, Gigabyte G-Power Pro is a great heatsink too but to compete with XP-90 performance you must push the mounted fan to his limit (resulting loud noise)... it can't compete with XP and surely zalman at 'stock air flow'.

It is looking good too, but at this price-range i'll chose XP-90 before G-Power, and put a little more for a XP-90C :p

EDIT : Well, when i mean this price range, the xp-90 did not come with a fan so you must buy one and if you buy a great one (what i did) i cost 12 to 20$ more so the G-Power is cheaper, but offer cheaper performance too :mullet:
  • edited August 2005
    Well I have a 3500 athlon venice and it seems my temp is above normal of around 40c idle!! so i might get this heatsink of which you speak.
    edited August 2005
    You could try to raise the voltage around 12v to make your fan speed faster as a test (if you did not try this before). It should make a lot more noise but reduce your temp by some C.

If your temp with this heatsink are that high... have you overclocked a lot ??? Did you use AS5 as thermal paste between the heatsink & the cpu, some times the paste that come with heatsink realy sucks and it REALY worth it to buy artic silver 5 ;)

Anyway, if you go with XP-90 with AS5 & a good fan you will never go realy over 37C with some OC (if you chose XP-90C , it will drop the temp by 2C more than the XP-90 does). But it is surprising that your idle temp is that high your actual heatsink...
  • edited August 2005
    yes am using artic silver 5 paste but i dont know what it is but my uguru is now telling (after turning on all the otes options in the bios and setting the temps to certain levels) that my cpu is 35-36c idle dont ask lol!! and my fan aint even on full speed! cos the uguru in the bios has set it so when it goes over 40 it picks up speed oh well.
    edited August 2005
    35-36 are more adequate numbers :)

Since you already bought the g-power, i would stay with it... It's not the best heatsink but it's not the worst too ;) Execpt if you are able to get a good price for your G-Force, don't waste money to gain 4-5C cooler temp, if you stay under 40C it's good (some say to stay below 50C , but i found 40 a safer number :thumbsup: )
  • edited August 2005
    thanks! :D
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited August 2005
    I am reading about all these low cpu temps here. When I built my computer I went with this cooler..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=35-106-036&depa=0
    My temps are no where near as cool as what I am reading about in this post. At idle I am 43c for the cpu and 32c for system temp. Is this to high? I plan to do some overclocking on the cpu in the near future...The computer is located in a cool basement so I thought my temps were normal. My leadtek 6800gt gets up to 64c after coming out of a heavy graphic intensive game like far cry. I noticed as of late far cry and pain killer" battle out of hell' are starting to give me problems. Like in heave fighting they will freeze for a second, that never happened before so I was wondering if that sounds like it is heat related? I am running a AMD 939 winchester 64bit 3200..
  • edited August 2005
    from what i have read the venice cores run a lot cooler, however also depends on what thermal paste you used, i would not use that fan try and get the ones these guys are on about sounds pretty good.

Also your graphics card should not be running that hot!! if i were you check firstly is your card overclocked? if yes maybe its too high, secondly is it under warranty? could be a faulty card and lastly if you can take the heatsink off the card and use some artic silver 5 paste then put the heatsink back on ;-)