939 heatsink suggestions

2»

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Ronbo, those temps are not too high. Those are idle temps, right? What are they under full load?
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    i bought a Zalman Cu LED 7000B yesterday, and it'll be here this week. I searched and searched and found a great deal. Brand new, retail packaging, $39.70 after shipping. :)
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited August 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Ronbo, those temps are not too high. Those are idle temps, right? What are they under full load?
    The video card under full load is about 65c, at idle it is about 49c. The cpu at idle is 43c, and under full load goes up to but never over 50c.....
    Thanks for your reply to my question Leonardo and other members... :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Ronbo, if you can do all things with your computer that you wish to do, it's a safe bet your components are not overheated. 50*C for a CPU is not bad under full. Not so great for bragging...but so what. :D I run my System 1 at full load 24/7 (two instances of Folding@Home plus multi-tasking, and 25% overclock) at consistent CPU core temps between 50 and 55, depending on ambient temperatures. No air conditioning here. No problems. I could cool it down more, but I want peace and quiet.

If your gaming works to your satisfaction, I wouldn't worry about the video card temperature. GPUs generally run hotter than CPUs.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited August 2005
    Thanks again Leonardo. I will put my worry beads away now... ;D;D
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited August 2005
    Personnaly a prefer large air cooling, low temps, then just put the volume louder so i don't even notice the sound produce by the casing :D

BTW i often play game with headset so when i do even if my computer was a hurricane i would not notice :p

To what i read, it's true that 50C is no supposed to be 'dangerous' but higher than that i think it can become problem in some times... Maybe not, maybe yours will never have problem at all... but why take the risk ?

Running at 36C underload is maybe a little extreme but i think that if your temps goes higher than 50, you need cooling ! My .02 :rolleyes:

(At least you can add ultra quiet fan low or mid rpm fan that will help the cooling, without the noise :D )
  • edited August 2005
    GooD, your pc is pretty similar to mine, have you overclocked your RAM at all?
    edited August 2005
    Yes i have overclocked but not THAT far for now... I'm not the kind of person who like to push it the more harder i can to see if it's stable.

For now i run the ram at 480mhz with 2-2-2-8 timings and got the cpu OC to 2640 mhz and it suit me well and all the game are so smooth so i won't go further for now until it is needed :) Im sure this thing could go easily to 2800mhz with 500 mhz ram at 2-2-2-8 but i don't see the need for it now with todays game heh

EDIT : How far do you push it on your side ??? Just to see where you begin to have trouble heh I tryed one time to go at 2.8 (one shot try without going slowly and increment fsb gradually) but i got problem with the memory (i think), it did reboot erverytime on windows start page, but surely with a slow and long process i could go there stable and see what was wrong. heh at 2640 it's stable as a rock :mullet:
  • edited August 2005
    GooD wrote:
    Yes i have overclocked but not THAT far for now... I'm not the kind of person who like to push it the more harder i can to see if it's stable.

For now i run the ram at 480mhz with 2-2-2-8 timings and got the cpu OC to 2640 mhz and it suit me well and all the game are so smooth so i won't go further for now until it is needed :) Im sure this thing could go easily to 2800mhz with 500 mhz ram at 2-2-2-8 but i don't see the need for it now with todays game heh

EDIT : How far do you push it on your side ??? Just to see where you begin to have trouble heh I tryed one time to go at 2.8 (one shot try without going slowly and increment fsb gradually) but i got problem with the memory (i think), it did reboot erverytime on windows start page, but surely with a slow and long process i could go there stable and see what was wrong. heh at 2640 it's stable as a rock :mullet:

I'm hoping by 480mhz you mean 240(2)?

Explain how you got it to those timings though, I'm new to overclocking AMD and memory.
    edited August 2005
    OMG hahah yeah i mean 240(2) ;D

In fact 2 months ago i was also new to this OC world, but i've read a LOT ! Things have been a little complicated with the new AMD processor. You will often see the new thing named HTT and wonder 'wtf is this ?'

Why do the teacher job myself when other did it before ? I'll give you some REALY helpfull links that'll put you on the track (hope so, like it did for me)

DFI-Street is THE place for new overclockers i think, lot of helpfull stuff out there :

Overclocking guide : http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12960 <= read this it explain or clarify a lot of things...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3846 <= It may answer to any other questions of have :) Read it more than one times if you can as you'll see the 1st read is 'heavy' heh

HTT is a calculated number that assure you that your settings will be 'stable' in some ways... Read this and ask question if necessary, here or on DFI Street.

I got thoses timings pretty easily at the first try at 240(2) with 11 as mutiliplier. Come back if you have questions.
  • edited August 2005
    Hi everyone, I got a question for you guys. I have an amd athlon 4000+ and an asus a8n-sli deluxe and I want a good COMPACT hsf thats relativly quiet and provides good cooling. I had a zalman 7700-cu 120mm but it was WAY too big because i have 2 sticks of corsair xms xpert ram with the led faceplates, and the zalman took over 2 of the slots to begin with.
    watercooling is out of the picture at the moment and i can only spend about $60 on it, and try and have it below 30db.

Thanks, :cool:
    josh
    edited August 2005
    I would go with a XP-90 , his form will go just over your ram without blocking it, plus it will provide cooling to you ram , at least one stick it depends how your mb ram slot are set. Im not 100% it will fit but i did not hear anywhere about someone that buy one that did not fit on his board.

For the 30 db. Simply put a fan of your choice (the xp-90 does not come with one so you have all the freedom to chose the most appropriate for you) I'll go for a 90mm fan on it , louder means colder temp but if you want a low rpm stealth fan (like those from Nexus) you can go with it and the dp will be very low and you'll still have pretty good temps.
  • edited August 2005
    aw screw it i'll just wait till i have enough for water cooling. I just gotta wait till xmas and ill get an internal wc sys.
    im so impulsive to buy stuff when i can just wait and get the better thing. Thanks anyways.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    well what cpu cooler are u using now?
  • edited August 2005
    i havent built the computer in my sig yet, i am about to tho, i am going to use the stock hsf until xmas when i get water cooling i guess.
  • edited August 2005
    i have all the parts i am just waiting to recive the cpu and hdd in the mail
  • edited August 2005
    Very nice pc, post some benchmarks once you get it up and running before overclocking anything.
  • edited August 2005
    thanks, this is my first build so im having my neighbor help me with it(hes a tech guy whos done this b4). ill post all my benchmarks when im done (in a week or so cause im going on vacation). and im prolly not gonna overclock till i get water cooling even tho i hear on a sandiego 4000 you can hit 2.6-2.8ghz on stock hsf while still stable.
  • edited August 2005
    does anyone here know of a good internal mounting watercooling system for about $200?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited August 2005
    http://www.svc.com/cwc100-1001-50.html

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835108068

basically the same thing, except the swittech one is a little more compact since everything fits into a single 5.25" bay. nice little design, IMO.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I got a Artic cool cooler and it keeps my 4000+ at about 44C under full load. If you want the model # IM me!