EPoX 8HDA3+ Athlon 64 (754 Pin) Motherboard

SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
edited September 2003 in Science & Tech
EPoX 8HDA3+ Athlon 64 (754 Pin) Motherboard

Socket 754... PC3200... AGP 8x... 6 SATA Drives... Gigabit Ethernet...

My appologies if this has already been posted. AFAIK, there were very few 754-pin Athlon 64 motherboards available as of the time I am posting this. Anywho...

EPoX has released a motherboard for use with the 754-pin variants of the AMD Athlon 64 (which is ready for release on the 23rd). This is not some early release version either. It's a fully-fledged, packaged motherboard that is hitting the retail streams in Europe as I type this, providing a solid platform for the AMD Athlon 64.

Based upon the Via K8T800 Northbridge & Via 8237 Southbridge, supporting PC2100, PC2700 & PC3200 DDR SDRAM, featuring a total of 6 RAID-enabled SATA drive connections (2 natively VIA the 8237 Southbridge) and dual ethernet controllers (a 3COM Gigabit Ethernet controller) and a VIA onboard 10/100 controller, this motherboard packs a lot of punch.

Specifications of Motherboard:
• 5x PCI slots
• 1 x AGP 8 x Slot colour coded purple
• 2 x DDR400 DIMM slots
• 4 SATA ports by Sil3114 including RAID 0, 1, 10 & 5
• 1 Floppy drive controller - 2 serial ports - 1 parallel port
• 2 standard IDE ports for ATA-133, backwards compatible with ATA-33/66/100
• 8 USB 2.0 ports (4 by rear panel, 4 by front panel option)
• Onboard sound, 6 channel Jack Sensing ALC655 Audio with environmental effects
• Onboard SATA with
• Standard ATX format 305 x 245mm
• Onboard Dual LAN by 3COM 3C 940 (GBe) and VIA PHY (10/100)
• Onboard native Serial ATA support for 2 drives (including RAID) through VT8237
• Onboard P80P diagnostics LED
• 12v adapted power scheme for CPU voltage
• Onboard Coaxial and Optical SPDIF outputs
• Ability to run both 32bit and 64bit operating systems natively

Power BIOS features:
• Fully adjustable Voltage scheme with VDimm and VccCore
• Fully adjustable Frequency scheme and fine memory hone.
• Magic Flash for web BIOS update
• Magic Screen for custom boot display
• Magic Health for quick reading of vital measurements at POST

Source: EPoX.org

Comments

• Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited September 2003
    You Beat me to it! ;D
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    what's the difference between the athlon64 and the athlon64 fx?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2003
    I think the FX is a socket 939. Maybe, not sure yet on everything.
    edited September 2003
    kanezfan said
    what's the difference between the athlon64 and the athlon64 fx?

It's the Athlon 64 and the Athlon FX.

The Athlon 64 has a single channel DDR400 memory controller and uses Socket 754. It will come in two version. A 1MB L2 and a 256K L2 version.

The Athlon FX is basically a renamed Opteron 1xx. It has a Dual Channel DDR333 Memory controller, 1MB L2 cache and uses Socket 940. Early next year it will migrate to Socket 939 to further differentiate it from the regular Opterons.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    You Beat me to it!

And Omega beat me to it, so I'll bash Omega. :eek:

So Omega, how many of these Epox A64 boards have you ordered already? Three, you say? One for immediate RMA, one for testing and destruction (unintentional), and one that "rocks" in your signature?

(Sorry, I'm in a foul mood today. Run-in with the boss. I'm not really supposed to say things like that. But seeing that I built an Intel system, I can't be a h4xx3R. I am so upset about my predicament that I'm lashing out at perfectly fine members, like Omega.):mad:
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    Leo:
    Foul mood or not, that was pretty funny. ;D
    edited September 2003
    Geeky1 said
    Leo:
    Foul mood or not, that was pretty funny. ;D

I agree! ;D;D

I had to RMA A K7D last week. Water Cooling accident..... (DOH!) :banghead:

I'm don't buy any CPUs that cost more than $200 or Version1 motherboards

Athlon 64 3200+ ~$500

Athlon FX 51 ~$700

As much as I'm excited by the new CPUs (Opteron, Athlon 64 and P4 Extreme Editions). These babies won't be OC material/friendly until the .09 editions arrive in Q2/Q3 2004
    edited September 2003
    Leonardo said
    You Beat me to it!
    (Sorry, I'm in a foul mood today. Run-in with the boss. I'm not really supposed to say things like that. But seeing that I built an Intel system, I can't be a h4xx3R. I am so upset about my predicament that I'm lashing out at perfectly fine members, like Omega.):mad:

My Job got on my nerves last week. and since I was already fighting a cold/flu bug, I said the hell with it. I called out sick and took the week off. :D

I felt much better after that :)

Life is too short(y) to be aggravated ;D
    edited September 2003
    These babies won't be OC material/friendly until the .09 editions arrive in Q2/Q3 2004

Thanks for letting me know. I don't want any of the new technology to be worthy for another 12 months or so - that way I won't be tempted to empty my wallet. Also, I'll be in the middle in of career transition (being promoted to civilian) in about 9 months. That will not be the time to spend money.
    edited September 2003
    IMO This should hold you for Two years!
    3508MHz (14X 25o), Vantec AeroFlow HSF, 1024MB Geil PC3200 2.5/6/3/3, Radeon 9500P/9700P (Soft Mod), HD0 - Maxtor Ultra 80GB
    edited September 2003
    Yes, you are correct. But precious few among actually build and run what we actually need, do we. :rolleyes2
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    So my question is, why is AMD pulling a Intel with all those sockets?
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    Guess they felt left out :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Black Hawk said
    So my question is, why is AMD pulling a Intel with all those sockets?

No. Intel releases sockets every time they feel it necessary, often in mid-stream of the same processor. Screws over consumers.

AMD is releasing 3 sockets at the exact same time for various pricepoints so consumers may choose which they want based on their budget. At no time will they be getting less than the best of a certain line of processors based on the socket they choose. Instead of buying a socket 754 athlon, and AMD turning around and releasing a 940 in a month which is significantly better, leaving consumers who JUST received the best and brightest only to find their upgrade path destroyed (Which is what Intel does).

See the difference?

Omega65 said

IMO This should hold you for Two years!

Try about 9 months until the release of the 2.2/2.4GHz Athlon 64s. Heh. Can you say ass-whoopin'?
    Leonardo said

So Omega, how many of these Epox A64 boards have you ordered already? Three, you say? One for immediate RMA, one for testing and destruction (unintentional), and one that "rocks" in your signature?

World's most perfect description of EPoX ever.
    edited September 2003
    Thrax said
    Leonardo said

World's most perfect description of EPoX ever.

EPox Mobos still going strong.....!
    8KHA+ (sold to a satisfield customer)
    8K3A+ (2) (sold to a satisfield customers - S-M Member)
    8K5A2+ (2) (sold to a satisfield customer - S-M Member)
    8RDA+ (sold to a satisfield customer - S-M Member)
    8K9A2+ (still folding - but already sold - waitng for cash)
    8K9A3+ (still folding - but already sold - waitng for cash)

You can blame the hardware or yourself. Libertarians accept responsibility for their actions {nose tweak} ;D

Mobos Killed by stupidity....
    Epox 8K5A2+
    Msi K7D Master (Two - yes TWO! :banghead: :banghead: )