Comair Rotron 6 3/4 X 2" sale-$4.95

edited September 2003 in Trading Post
For all you folks out there that want the ultimate in airflow, mpja.com has these on sale for $4.95 each, monthly special. I imagine that 7v'ing one of these would probably quiet it down enough to where you could actually use it too.:D

I've bought from these people before, prompt shipping and well packaged.:thumbsup:

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    I've got 4 of the 24v version of this fan. They run off <10v :eek2:

They're some of the best fans I've ever seen, and at $5 each, they're a steal.
  • edited September 2003
    When I saw these fans on sale Geeky, I thought of you!:p :thumbsup: Figured you would order some more of them and maybe try hovering one of your boxes.:eek2::eek3:;D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I had one of the those wind tunnel beasts; didn't know what to do with it. Sold it to a friend who shorted it for 7V operation. He employed it as the cooling fan for his water cooling setup. It still had about 120CFM at 7V but was very quiet.

At $4.95, it's a no brainer even if you're only slightly interested.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL. That fan is powerful enough to remove big chunks of one's fingers.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    what size are they??
    in mm
    edited September 2003
    Size: 6.75" x 5.92" x 2.00" deep
    (171.5mm x 150.4mm x 50.8mm)

Leo's right- the frame's aluminum, but the blades are plastic. They're very, very sharp, and they have a LOT of momentum. I stuck a pencil in one of mine @ 12v (mine are 24v, so it was running at <1/2 speed) and it took the pencil tip off and chucked it across my room (the better part of 14'). I've jammed my fingers in them when they've been spinning down before and it hurts like hell. It's only the trailing edge of the blades that are really sharp, so you aren't likely to cut yourself if you jam your fingers in them unless you turn it backwards, but the blades carry so much momentum that it's like slamming a drawer on your fingers. I haven't gotten a blood blister or anything from them, but it HURTS.

I may buy 4 of these... I use the ones I have to cool my room down at night, but they're not powerful enough at 12v, and the other fan I have that's big enough to be viable I can't use... (I've got a 16" 1000-2000CFM+ 11 blade, 12v Bosch/Mercedes electric A/C condensor & radiator fan) it uses so much power that it made the 14 gauge wire and molex connectors I had it on hot to the touch :eek2:
    edited September 2003
    hmm, i have no idea about where i would put the fan yet, but, if i were to buy it, how would i do the 7v mod on them??
    there are like 5 or 6 wires on that fan.
    edited September 2003
    You wear leather gloves and splice until you don't see sparks! :crazy:
    edited September 2003
    Leishi, my advice is buy it now, figure that out later. I paid $10 for mine, and they're surplus. These are (I think) new. Buy two or three. You can always use these things... I use them to cool my laptop too. Hell, I may buy some... (like 10 :D)
    edited September 2003
    yes me and my friend are going to buy them, but they have a minimum of 15 dollar order, so we need to find another person to buy it with us, we will maybe get 4, i might keep 2 or something.
    edited September 2003
    Geeky - the fans linked in the thread starter are 12VDC, @235CFM. "Not powerful enough" for what, might I ask? :scratch:

Leishi85. Below is a diagram for shorting Molex connectors. Of course, you can just cross the fan wires as opposed the normal red-red, black-black connection. It should be apparent when you have the fan right in front of you which are the standard negative and positive wires.

7-Volt Mod How-to