Looking at this seagate...

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited September 2005 in Hardware
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148065

Should I get this hard drive? I have a 30g hard drive currently and thinking about just throwing this in as a seconday (comment if this is a good idea)

I want a scilent hard drive and by the reviews I read mixed reactions, if anyone reading this has used seagate please tell me if they have noisy hard drives.

Or maybe suggest a hard drive (below 100 bucks please)

Please post some comments.

Also whats a SATA cord? I heard it doesnt come with one and needs it.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2005
    I have a 160GB 7200.7 in my system as a storage drive. It is very quiet in my oppinion. I'm very pleased with it. You get a great warranty with it as well, 5 years I believe. The 7200.8's are supposed to be even better performers, and still very quiet.

A SATA cord (or cable) is just the interface cable to connect your drive to the mainboard. If your motherboard supports SATA, it likely included at least one SATA cable. Usually looks like this (color varies)

SATA_Cable_data.jpg
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited September 2005
    Ill make a check before buying this to see if my mainboard supports it.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    I agree - it looks like a great hard drive. Plus, with all the + reviews on NewEgg, many other people have had good luck with it. :)
    edited September 2005
    I dont think my computer supports SATA... Do I HAVE to have this connection to my mobo? I think I found a black plug like thing coming from my power supply....

Anyone suggest a hard drive that might not use a SATA plug.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    If you decide against the Seagate SATA model, check out CompUSA. Every weekend it seems they are having rebate specials on hard drives. Just last week I purchased a Western Digital 160GB (7200/8) IDE drive for $39.95, after mail in rebates. ("IDE" is the type of hard drive that uses a wide, ribbon cable, not the narrow cable as pictured in the Newegg link you provided.) This summer, I also got an IDE Hitachi 160GB for the same price with rebates. About a month ago I got a 300GB Western Digital for about $110, again, with rebates. There's no reason to pay full price for hard drives these days, unless you want SATA interface or the largest capacity drives. By the way, I'm a real fan of the Hitachis. They are very quiet.

I think I'm done with Maxtors. I just lost one last week. That makes both Maxtors I've purchased in the last three years dead. Not had that experience with any other brand.
    edited September 2005
    Thanks for the post, Ill check out if there are any deals at compusa.
    edited September 2005
    How is the western digital products? are they scilent and work great?

I might buy from them.
    edited September 2005
    The WD Caviar series tend to be quieter than the other WD models, at least with the ones I've owned. If you have a choice, and the prices are comparable, I'd go with Hitachi. They are very quiet. There are fans of Seagate as well. I've only owned one of them. It was a fairly quiet drive as well.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I have that Seagate drive you linked from Newegg and I love it. I used to be a WD loyalist, but a couple of those died on me, and this Seagate is far quieter. I think I've got a new brand-of-choice :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    So what do I need to upgrade to this .... SATa
    edited September 2005
    A new motherboard I would assume.
    edited September 2005
    You could get a PCI card that adds SATA ports, or you could get a new motherboard that already has SATA.

I would recommend getting a good brand for a PCI controller card, like Adaptec.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816103330
    There are cards on Newegg for less than half the price, but I wouldn't trust them. On one hand, if a cheap card fails, then you're not out that much money, but it could ruin the data on your HD, too.
    edited September 2005
    well screw that ill just go with IDE....
    edited September 2005
    You might as well go IDE. You more likely to find a bargain on one - all over the place. Besides, unless you step up to 10,000 RPM WD Raptor drives, there really isn't much of a performance difference between any of the 7200 RPM hard drives - SATA and IDE. I am not an expert on hard drives, but I see no real advantage of SATA over IDE, except for the small, no-fuss cables.
    edited September 2005
    one question, could IDE be more scilent?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2005
    Bubbleman wrote:
    one question, could IDE be more scilent?

Not necessarily, the interface type does not influence noise levels. Old IDE drives can often be very loud, but pretty much all new drives on the market are rather quiet. Just about all of Seagate's new 7200.7 and 7200.8 drives are a great choice if you are looking for silence. You can get those drives in IDE models as well.
    edited September 2005
    but pretty much all new drives on the market are rather quiet
    I agree. If near silent running is your goal, go with a 7200 RPM Hitachi or Seagate. My Maxtors were very quiet to, but given their failure rate with my machines, I can't recommend them.
    edited September 2005
    Theres IDE seagate models? I thought they only made SATA can someone link a IDE model
    edited September 2005
    they dont make ata133, but they do have a few ata100s on newegg. 18 to be exact. LINK
    edited September 2005
    they dont make ata133...
    They do, if we're talking about Maxtor.
    Newegg Link
    edited September 2005
    The reason for not selection in the "133" specification is that in real world use, there isn't much difference between 100 and 133.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148021

This is the one that i would look at. THG did a review this week and this drive was just as fast as most. Nice size, nice price (there is one in my wifes machine).
    edited September 2005
    Or, this 200GB Hitachi DeskStar for $89.99. If you can wait, $39.99/160GB deals might be back at CompUSA. I'm not a CompUSA proponent per se (I prefer online), but CompUSA has several super hard drive promotions throughout the year.
    edited September 2005
    aka Deathstar
    edited September 2005
    Nope. IBM had problems with the DeskStars when IBM had a hard drive manufacturing effort. The design problems were fixed and the division sold to Hitachi.
    edited September 2005
    Me sorry :bawling: :p Didn't know that.
    edited September 2005
    Hey, that's OK. The DeskStars were highly problematic for a couple years. But what you wrote is not nearly as bone-headed as the as the tired, worn-out, "No, I won't use AMD. They are unstable and burn up real easy! And Intel is faster cause it has more megaherz" That's an indicator of someone trying to talk tech who is six years behind the times.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited September 2005
    On the average, I'd rate my drives like this (from quietest to noisiest):
    WD 320 Caviar
    Samsung 120 something or other
    Seagate 120

The WD is silent - even on random seeks I cannot hear it... with my ear up to it. The Samsung has an almost inaudible whine all the time (almost being the key word). The Seagate, well... it's bad. Even on straight reads it's noisy as hell - random seeks are LOUD. It may be a slightly older version, though, so YMMV. I just know I'm going WD from now on.
    edited September 2005
    Entropy, come to think of it, you are right. The newer WD Caviars are indeed very quiet running. Some of the older WDs are buzzy.
    edited September 2005
    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16822148025

Isnt this better it has a 8mb cashe (which i have no idea wtf a cashe is)