AMD Athlon 64 Full Load Temps??????

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Hardware
What is a hot temp for the AMD Athlon 64 series Proc's?

I mean mine ideal around 38C to 44C which I here is good for Air cooling, But recently I have seen my CPU jump in temprature under full load. I mean huge jumps. I have never seen anything like it. I have ran all my CPU tests on the CPU and no issues to be found. This CPU is a AMD Athlon 64 FX-55

Any ideas what a good temp is? or what your temps run at? for these CPU's... this is my first issue with one of the CPU's

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    it depends ...were you folding f@h gromacs at the time? That is about as hot as it gets.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Yeah it was or is rendering Gromacs!

when I had the case side on it was hitting 68C which I thought was a bit high for these proc's but I took the side off and circulated some air from a fan and got it to drop to 51C. I know allot about comps but just not a ton on temp on these CPU's is 68C hot? My case seems to run cool all the time, this is just the first time I have seen this happen. Im going to do some testing on the ASUS cool and quite feature, I think it might be holding the fans back a bit. maybe set it to disable at 62C
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    home built system? Good thermal compound? Air flow hasn't changed (dust bunnies)? Fans not running correctly?
    edited November 2005
    It is Home Built!
    Clean as a whistle
    Not a bit of Dust!
    all fans are running according to the monitor and physiclly looking at them fine! I have 2-80MM fans on the back side 2 80MM fans in the front
    1- HDD Bay Fan, HD fan cooler, plus 2 fans on the PSU along with the Zalman 7000CPU cooler. like I said it ideals around 38C which isn't bad in my book. But when folding is on or if I am rendering on it using 3Ds Max the thing becomes a heater....

oh and the CPU is using Atrtic Silver compound
    edited November 2005
    It is Home Built!
    Clean as a whistle
    Not a bit of Dust!
    all fans are running according to the monitor and physiclly looking at them fine! I have 2-80MM fans on the back side 2 80MM fans in the front
    1- HDD Bay Fan, HD fan cooler, plus 2 fans on the PSU along with the Zalman 7000CPU cooler. like I said it ideals around 38C which isn't bad in my book. But when folding is on or if I am rendering on it using 3Ds Max the thing becomes a heater....

oh and the CPU is using Atrtic Silver compound

got pics of your case?
    Get good flow thru and especially good exhaust.
    edited November 2005
    main_tower.jpg

You can see the 2 rear fans and the side fan! along with the PSU has a 120MM fan on the bottom and a 80MM in the back. the CPU fan is clear in the image. The 2 bottom front fans are not seen in the image!

My GPU's run at a good 45C-49C under full load. The Memory seems to heat up as the CPU does but I think that is becuase they are right next to each other.
    edited November 2005
    This is quite typical of amd overclocking but 68c sounds a bit much.
    How much are you overclocking and what is your core voltage and mem voltage?

You have a great setup. The only drawback to that hsf is that it can't be reversed.
    edited November 2005
    that is the problem! I am not OC'ing the tower it is all stock! the GPU's and the CPU are running at stock speeds. The memory and CPU voltages are set at Auto!
    edited November 2005
    This image shows you how close the CPU cooler and the memory are form each other :)

Main_Interior.jpg

I mean most of my other comps run a t full load of 36C as my room is always cold....
    edited November 2005
    you can try flipping your two rear fans to intake and front/side fans to exhaust. By changing the flow pattern you may see some positive results. If so there is a solution.
    edited November 2005
    That is a good idea! maybe also use the side fan to maybe draw the hot air out instead of blowing air on it??? I might give a few options a try!

Im just fustrated as the system froze the other night during a rendering and it caugh me off guard, I have never had heat issues with a tower before. I normally go over kill on the cooling, so it is never an issue.
    edited November 2005
    That is a good idea! maybe also use the side fan to maybe draw the hot air out instead of blowing air on it??? I might give a few options a try!
    Yeah but try this as well. You see right now you are pulling cooler air into the case from the bottom. Essentially you may be robbing that cool air with your rear fans from the cpu fan thus creatiing a dead spot which may counteract the hsf rendering it almost useless so to speak.
    I would try the total reversal of at least the two rear and two front fans for now. If it works we can fix that.
    edited November 2005
    agreed! I will give it a try tonight! and see what the results are!
    edited November 2005
    agreed! I will give it a try tonight! and see what the results are!
    Actually you could accomplish the same thing if you only reversed the hsf but with that zalman you can't do that. Do you have another heatsink with a seperate fan that can be flipped to pull air thru the fins on hand? If it's too much trouble then just stick to plan A for now.
    edited November 2005
    ...and you think you got problems?

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39030

This should make you feel a little better! :thumbsup:
  • hypermoodhypermood Smyrna, GA New
    edited November 2005
    The Clawhammer based FX-55's get significantly hotter than the San Diego based ones. I have a 3500+ Clawhammer (@2500MHz), and it is at 52C with an ambient of 28C. FYI I've seen Clawhammer based FX-55's hitting 70C under load with stock cooling.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2005
    yikes, 70 degrees is way too hot for any A64, period. AMD's max tcase (temperature within the heat spreader) is 70 degrees for the 130nm processors, including the FX55 processors. I'd consider a decent temperature for an FX55 in the low-mid 50s full load, with the OEM heatsink. It should be considerably lower with that big Zalman.

Even with 1.65 volts pumping through my winchester, and 2.75GHz, I'm hard pressed to break 60 degrees with an XP90 (which is probably similar in performance to your zalman).

I'd try to re-mount the heatsink, and try a very very thin layer of Arctic silver.
    edited November 2005
    OKay I flopped the fans in the front of the case and in the back of the case! so the air flow is going backwards. I have just fired up Folding and am watching the temp sit around 54C so I will let it run for about 30 minutes and see what temps I hit.
    edited November 2005
    OKay I flopped the fans in the front of the case and in the back of the case! so the air flow is going backwards. I have just fired up Folding and am watching the temp sit around 54C so I will let it run for about 30 minutes and see what temps I hit.
    cool ...keep me updated on this.
    edited November 2005
    Well I watched it peak 59C that was about as high as I saw it! I guess that is better than 69C :)
  • edited November 2005
    Sledge, how brave are you? I've read at the O/C forums of people removing the IHS off their procs becasue of poor heat transfer/high temps and getting good results. I plan to do some experimenting when I get in this time from the rig on the Winnie I'll be replacing with my Toledo. I'm going to see how hard it is to pull the hat off an A64.

BTW, both my mobile Clawhammer systems, which are basically a single channel version of your FX core, never get any hotter than the mid 40 C range when folding. That's with an XP90 on 1 and a SLK948-U on the other.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I just don't see why it's that hot. Are you sure the heatsink is seated completely flush on the CPU? Put your hand on the fins and see if it is perhaps loose. I'm sure you've already checked that, but even if the CPU were at full overclock, it shouldn't be running that hot. What about your case positioning in the room? Is it in a corner where the warm exhaust recirculates back into the intake? My System 1, overclocked with two instances of F@H running 24/7 doesn't exceed 52*C. I believe I'm running the same heatsink as you - Zalman 7700, yes?
    edited November 2005
    Yes it is the Zalman 7700.... The tower is in a good part of the room. I opened the case last night after a few hours of folding and it just seems as if it isn't cooling down, It feels like a big warm pocket right over the CPU.... Crap there is a fan blowing cold air right on the CPU what is the deal???? out of all my years of computer building, this one has me stumped. I have reseated and re-compounded the CPU and still get the same results. this is getting very fustrating. Fans ahve been switched around flipped and tested. Maybe it is just the case? It seems pretty crampped compared to my Antec cases. maybe giving it more room to breath would help it?

Question:

My CPU fan is crusing at 2200Rpm "well that is what it reads" it also came with a fan speed controller that I never used because of how annoyingly big it is. do you think I should plug it back in to the speed contorller and crank it up? Im almost thinking of getting one of those turbine coolers. I mena this CPU is a $1000 investment, I don't want to ssee it fry.....
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Not sure i have seen it, but what cpu and mainboard is it?
    What tool are you using to verify the temperatures?
    edited November 2005
    I am using the following!

ASUS_ A8N-SLI Deluxe
    AMD Athlon FX-55 Clawhammer Core at stock speeds

I'm using ASUS prob, System Health 1.02, and a straight out temp monitor inside the case.... it is a digital reader, i have the sensor about 1/4 from the CPU and Haet sink...
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    There is a program called Lavalys Everest which have an built in temperature reader.
    Download that and install it. Under "Computer is an ion called Sensor. Click that and tell us the name and numbers. A stock FX at 1.5 volts could never be that hot with such heatsink unless it was something wrong with the cpu. Do you have any other S939 cpu's around you an pop in and test?
    edited November 2005
    It'a a great cpu cooler and great case ...just not together. I suspect that the rear fans are robbing the cool air from above the cpu fan where it collects air to pass thru the sink. With the rear fans exhausting you've got a void over the fan.
    One possible solution is to get a hsf that is capable of pulling from below (ie fan flippage). This is the way I've always run my air coolers.
    Another solution would be to run a duct from an intake source to the hsf. Not sure how you would secure the duct to the sink because of it's unconventional design though.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    2200RPM is the max RPM for the 7700, Sledge. There's no need for the controller unless you want to lower the speed.
    edited November 2005
    This is what I'm thinking, The case and the Fans are good. but just not in this setup. something with the air pattern with 2 GPU's and the Zalman cooler is causing a hot pocket! in the system. I am going to transfer everything over to a much larger Antec case and see if the cooling changes. I have a few AMD Athlon 64 system's "4000+ and 2 - 3200+" in those cases and nothing but cold air blows out the back of them :) especially when there under full load. so I wil see what I can come up with and post results. If Heat is still an issue! I'm either going to start claiming faulty mobo or the CPU has issues..... RMA time..... I didn't drop over $1000.00 for a failing CPU.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2005
    My amd 64 3200 newcastle is oc'd from 2.2 to 2.4 ghz, and while folding it runs around 40-45ºC. Idle isn't much lower, at around 37-38, which is very strange.

I bought a new heatsink about 6 months ago, so I forget which model it is. whatever it is, it does the job well.