AMD Athlon 64 Full Load Temps??????

2»

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    okay I swapped cases and now have the tower running at 100% for about 30 minutes now it has not peaked over 52C so i think swaping cases helped over all. If it jumps back to 59C I will be RMA'ing half of my stuff...just to make sure nothing happens again.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Sometimes a case can have excellent airflow volume, but a certain heatsink/fan/expansion card configuration will just confound the circulation. It could be that as you hinted at earlier, that hot video card setup was the culprit. It might just be that the hot air rising from the cards was too much for the cool intake air to overcome. I had a similar problem with my System 3, in that the volume of air passing through the case was excellent, but the air just wasn't directed well enough towards the CPU heatsink. It essentially just went start from the intake directly to the exhaust, bypassing the CPU. I had to install a small fan inside the case to direct the cool air to the heatsink. Fixed the problem immediately.
    edited November 2005
    Wow! CPU has been going now 2 1/2 hours and folding 100% and is at 44C ..... I now am very happy with the results.... :) thanks fo rgetting me out of this fustration! I was about to throw this heater out the window :)
    edited November 2005
    I was about to throw this heater out the window
    Should such a sentiment return, contact me, and I'll give you the address of a window to which you can throw that CPU. :D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I bet that case would be just fine with the right heatsink. Maybe use it for another rig or sell it off.
  • edited November 2005
    Yeah, that case might work with something like an XP90C ot XP90 instead of the Zalman. Sounds like there is a dead spot for air circulation with that particular mobo/vid card/hsf installation.
    edited November 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Yeah, that case might work with something like an XP90C ot XP90 instead of the Zalman. Sounds like there is a dead spot for air circulation with that particular mobo/vid card/hsf installation.
    I was even thinking of one of those horizontal-turbine-jet-heatpipe looking contraptions. I think zalman has one out now too.
    edited November 2005
    I heard the 7700 provides better cooling.... than that one above. But I guess it would depend on the case.

Also My tower hit 32C running stock 0% Processes.... I think that is the coldest I have ever seen since I bought the bastard. Thanks for the help and the Ideas. Liek I said this was one for the books for me. I was just stumped to no end. :)
    edited November 2005
    I don't know if the 9500 is inferior to the 7700. I haven't seen any reviews showing either the 7700 or the 9500 topping the other. They are though, both top rate coolers.
    edited November 2005
    In that case i would put the 9500 on low speed.
    I'll fetch a review.

Here you go ...http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=365

The whole reason I choose a sink of this type is to catch some of that air before it heads out of the exhaust fans. The current setup is just sucking the life out of the area over the 7700. This way the exhaust fans aid to pull air right through the hsf. And this is just a zalman solution ...there may be better solutions out there.

I'm not debating which is a better cooler by any means...doesn't matter it's what works on a per case basis.
  • edited November 2005
    Im surprised...

I reahed this forum on google ebcause i have the same problem!

My fan setup is almost the same, the cooler and the processor is the same, i have a clawhammer as well ( 3500+ )

Im currently running folding at home and case temp is 32ºC, processor is 65ºC!

This is really trange because the cooler is good and aparently the cooling of the case is good as well.

I might get a Artic cooling NV5 so the Graphic card doesnt expel the air into de case..you think its good?

Nice forum BTW. :P
    edited November 2005
    paperless wrote:
    I might get a Artic cooling NV5 so the Graphic card doesnt expel the air into de case..you think its good?

Nice forum BTW. :P
    Damn good air gpu & case cooler at the same time! :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2005
    :D Then im gonna buy it for sure.

Just a question.. i heard the GPUs are not plan, will i have any trouble with the thermal grease because of it?

Hum.. what are the origins of this forum, why odes it exist? i just got here trough google :/
    edited November 2005
    paperless wrote:
    :Just a question.. i heard the GPUs are not plan ....
    plan? :scratch:
    paperless wrote:
    Hum.. what are the origins of this forum, why odes it exist? i just got here trough google :/
    The origins ...well I think I should let someone with a little more flare for storytelling tell you that one!
  • edited November 2005
    lol.. i mean no ups and downs = plan...

My english sucks..

:/.

But arent you the admin? Cant you tell whats the origin of this forum.
    edited November 2005
    LOL ...well the gpu does have a shim that you can remove at your own risk to make it "plan" ...but I don't bother because it voids the warranty of the card and it does a sufficient job with the shim in tact. :thumbsup:

I am no admin ...I just work here! ;D

I can tell the origin ...but some guys here are more poetic and grammatical and accurate.

Basically ...we were once one big happy community of pc geeks called Icrontic. One day the server went down (maybe hacked I can't remember) and we were all left desolate refugees. The owner of the sight then decided to sell off. 3 guys got together and formed Short Media and brought the majority of us all back together. It's been a few years now and here we are!

There is a thread lying around somewhere that gives way more detail. It truly is better than my slight description. :bawling: