Opteron 170 Experiment

edited December 2005 in Hardware
Well, with all the hoopla about the new socket 939 Opterons I decided to try out one of the new dual core Opti's in my Epox board. I just ordered it from the Egg and hopefully it will be in by around Tuesday of next week. Even though the Opteron microcode isn't specifically written into the bios I think it should work with no problems as the board will run an X2 with no problems. I'm curious to see what kind of overclock I can get out of it, since I've been reading of some really good overclocks on the DC Opti procs. :thumbsup:

I just might have an X2 4400 up for sale real soon if the Opti works out OK. Will make a good deal on it too. :D

Comments

• JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited November 2005
    You drillers, more money than sense. :D Ok I admit it I'm really jealous but it would be sweet if you could get it up to 3ghz.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2005
    I'm still waiting for these chips to become available in Canada.. End of Novemeber seems the most common eta..

Can't wait.. keep us posted mudd :thumbsup:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Well, with all the hoopla about the new socket 939 Opterons I decided to try out one of the new dual core Opti's in my Epox board. I just ordered it from the Egg and hopefully it will be in by around Tuesday of next week. Even though the Opteron microcode isn't specifically written into the bios I think it should work with no problems as the board will run an X2 with no problems. I'm curious to see what kind of overclock I can get out of it, since I've been reading of some really good overclocks on the DC Opti procs. :thumbsup:

I just might have an X2 4400 up for sale real soon if the Opti works out OK. Will make a good deal on it too. :D
    Did you get it before they hiked up the price? I sure hope they come down soon ...let me know what the default multi is when you find out pls! :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2005
    Yep, I'll keep you all posted on how it runs in my Epox board.

Chris, what price increase are you talking about? AFAIK, the retail Opti 170 has been around $400 for a while. As far as default multi is concerned, it should be a 10, since it's a 2.0 GHz part. The 175 is the 2.2 GHz version and the 165 is the 1.8 GHz version.
    edited November 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Yep, I'll keep you all posted on how it runs in my Epox board.

Chris, what price increase are you talking about? AFAIK, the retail Opti 170 has been around $400 for a while. As far as default multi is concerned, it should be a 10, since it's a 2.0 GHz part. The 175 is the 2.2 GHz version and the 165 is the 1.8 GHz version.
    When they first came out at monarchcoputers the 165 was $290 ...now it's $332 and so on ...the 170 went from like $356 to $410. I expect them to go back down in early to mid december.
    edited November 2005
    We should be getting some updates on this soon right mudd???
    Hell I think I'm gettin a semi! ;D
  • edited November 2005
    Heh, I installed it this morning in my board and had no problems with the latest updated bios correctly recognizing the processor as an Opteron 170 on the post screen. I'm presently memtesting the 2 GB kit of Mushkin Redline 4000 to see what it's limits are before I boot into Windows. I think I'm going to take a leap of faith and try booting it at default vcore and 250 fsb for 2500 MHz for it's first test though. :D
    edited November 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Heh, I installed it this morning in my board and had no problems with the latest updated bios correctly recognizing the processor as an Opteron 170 on the post screen. I'm presently memtesting the 2 GB kit of Mushkin Redline 4000 to see what it's limits are before I boot into Windows. I think I'm going to take a leap of faith and try booting it at default vcore and 250 fsb for 2500 MHz for it's first test though. :D
    definitely! :thumbsup:
    edited November 2005
    mudd is that the xp4000 dual kit?
    I was just reading at xtremesystems where this guy is claiming to run 3.2g on that proc and that ram but on the dfi. 270 @ 3-3-2-8

http://209.58.227.163/forums/showthread.php?t=76672&page=4

I was in the middle of filling out the order form and I stopped myself. Damn this it tough. I just know I'll regret it if I don't order now cause prices on the good stuff are jumping left and right and supplies are dwindling on everything.

I'll wait and see if newegg puts them up on black friday.

chit :mullet:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Whats the score so far Mud :D
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Been trying to get a 170 for a while now..impossible. Amd is holding them back it seems. Maybe forever.
  • edited November 2005
    So far, I have it up and folding stable on the p1481 wu's, which are some of the work most liable to error out if anything isn't perfectly stable, at 250 X 10. I had to bump the vcore up slightly to 1.45v to get there. Folding temps are running at 38-40 C with 2 clients going, cooling with an SLK948-U and Delta FFB0812SHE running at 3600-3700 rpm. The mobo temp is showing 25 C.

As far as the Mushkin goes, it will do 250 fsb at it's programed spd timings of 3-3-2-8 with no problems, but doesn't seem to have much extra headroom. I tried to go to 260 fsb and memtest gave massive errors. I then went down to 257 MHz in 1 MHz increments, where it gave just 6 errors in 1 pass on test 7. I had dropped the multi back to minimise any problems caused by an overclocked processor while doing this. I then gave up memtesting and went ahead and booted up to see how it would fold. :D I think it will probably be stable at 255-256 MHz when I get back to checking out this ram. It definitely doesn't look as good as the OCZ EB Plat 4000's that Anandtech tested, but you can't find the OCZ stuff anywheres. :( I'm still not positive I'll keep the Mushkin yet, if I can find some ram that overclocks the fsb better and is available.

What about the Crucial Ballistic 4000 ram, Mack? Have you messed with it any or do you know about how it's holding up? It seems from what I've read that it seems to be hit or miss, holding up over time, from what I've read. I would love to get the OCZ EB Plats, but according to their forums they are having problems getting the chips and from what csimon posted, it sounds like Atacom is trying to butt**** everyone on price too. IMO, it's a crying shame that OCZ has chosen some crap company like Atacom to be their leadoff vendor for new products. :shakehead OCZ would be smart to do like Mushkin and also sell direct to the customer, IMO.

About the Opti procs, you might be right Mack. I've been reading that AMD is most probably going to pull them from the retail channel and just sell them to systems integrators because they want to differentiate the workstation and desktop lines (which sounds like doubletalk saying they are robbing sales from their overpriced X2 line to me). So if you all want to get either single or dual core socket 939 Opteron, it might be smart to buy it now. BTW, this info is coming from the owner of Tankguys, posted in a thread at the overclockers.com forums. He say that this information is being given to his distributor directly from an AMD sales rep. Here's the post he notes this information.
    edited November 2005
    Haven't messed with the Ballistix, but i know a lot of them are dying easily. Even at low volts. We at OCZ had a terrible thing happen and that's why we couldn't get any chips. No ETA on when they come either and i gave my personal kit that does 280 to a customer :\
    I'm glad i bought a kit when they come as well cause i had a feeling they would get popular.

Can you throw up a A64 tweaker? You do know that the 4000 Mushkin is their PC2700 Value part originally right?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Been trying to get a 170 for a while now..impossible. Amd is holding them back it seems. Maybe forever.
    Maybe AMD is selling every Opteron they can produce. Except for Dell, the server manufacturers have become very keen on Opterons. Hmm, maybe my next major build will be dual-core Opteron. That would be a Folding beast!
  • edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    You do know that the 4000 Mushkin is their PC2700 Value part originally right?

I don't think these are the ram you are thinking of, Mack. This is something new they came out with recently and I think they are using the Infineon CE-6 chips on it. I do know that Mushkin also has another PC4000 2 GB kit with looser timings than these Redline 4000's I have.

I'll have to download an updated A64 Tweaker on that machine first, Mack. It's been a dedicated cruncher for the last year or so, until my latest upgrade on it. It will become my main rig though, since I've dropped the 170 in it and I also have an X800XT-PE to put in it for a decent vid card. I also have a new case and hard drive for it I'm getting for Christmas too. Let me go download the Tweaker, then I'll post a screenie.

Leo, with 2 p1481's on it that machine is averaging almost 950 points/day folding rate. :eek: It's freaking awesome. :thumbsup:
    edited November 2005
    mudd you got the new xp4000 redline right?

ok ...someone convince me not to order the 170 or it's a done deal w/in the next hour.
  • edited November 2005
    OK Mack, here's a screenie of A64 Tweaker. Help me out with setting my timings with it, man, I'm a total noob at dynamically tweaking timings while in windows. ;D

EDIT: I'm running 2T timings because this 9NDA3+ doesn't seem to like 1T with my DC procs (either one). With that said, I actually haven't tried 1T with this ram, just the previous 2 pairs of ram I had in the board (PC4000VX and Value VX).
    edited November 2005
    csimon wrote:
    mudd you got the new xp4000 redline right?

ok ...someone convince me not to order the 170 or it's a done deal w/in the next hour.

It's a done deal! I got the OEM for $410 + $3.99 shipped. I have a mail-in rebate for pc-mag or some crap like that worth $19.95 so essentially I payed $390.05 for this opti. Still not the $356.00 since the price gouge but hey ...I may have missed out altogether if I had waited any longer. :thumbsup:
    edited November 2005
    Mudd,
    What stepping did you get? These babies at 2.9 ghz/core would do damage on the folding charts. I'm THIS close ordering one myself. Anyone know the stepping of the 175 contra the 170 at monarch, newegg etc?
    edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Mudd,
    What stepping did you get? These babies at 2.9 ghz/core would do damage on the folding charts. I'm THIS close ordering one myself. Anyone know the stepping of the 175 contra the 170 at monarch, newegg etc?

E6 stepping.
    edited November 2005
    I'd love to get an E4 though. FX-57 cores are E4.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I made the mistake of waiting also and just may spring the extra $52.00 for the 175 ($461.63 @ Monarch). I know people are getting 3.0+ regularly with these on air. It will be today or never for me, I think.

mudd, I don't think you can give that Redline enough voltage to make it run @ spec with your Epox board.
    edited November 2005
    I'm ordering as well since i just sold the X2 4400+.

Mudd, to the left in the tweaker:

3 link Frequency (you must have 3 or less above 250)

The right:
    dis
    ena
    dis

Try that and see. If you have old chips, they may like 2.9 volts. My first kit is one of the first that we released and they like 2.9 volts while the newer kit i have, likes 2.65-2.7 better.

The vdimm voltmod on your board is very easy if you can't get more volts.
    edited November 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    I made the mistake of waiting also and just may spring the extra $52.00 for the 175 ($461.63 @ Monarch). I know people are getting 3.0+ regularly with these on air. It will be today or never for me, I think.

pft I cancelled the order first thing when I woke up this morning and got this instead.
    AMD Opteron 175 Dual-Core 2.2GHz 1MB (per core) 64/32-Bit (939) (OEM) $461.63 + $5.90 Shipping.

Go for it Larry ...heck it's christmas! :thumbsup:
    edited November 2005
    I'm getting the very same cpu from the same location Simon :D
    I'm after the higher multi for some Phase action. 200mhz more stock speed for $50 isn't a bad deal either.

Edit: The steppings people have got within the last weeks from monarch are:

CCBWE 0530TPMW (YAY if we get this one, best week ever)
    edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    I'm getting the very same cpu from the same location Simon :D
    I'm after the higher multi for some Phase action. 200mhz more stock speed for $50 isn't a bad deal either.

Edit: The steppings people have got within the last weeks from monarch are:

CCBWE 0530TPMW (YAY if we get this one, best week ever)
    Oh ...those steppings! ;D

Mine hasn't shipped yet ...I hope we get something decent cause the outlook at xs doesn't look that good. They've got to be out of week 30 by now ...what week are we in anyway?
  • edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Mudd,

I got a CCBWE 0541 RPMW. As far as overclocking to 2.9, I have a feeling this one won't though. :( Although maybe it's this Epox board too, since it's a rev 1.x early production board. I have done a vdimm mod to it and can get to around 3.15v vdimm now with it. I did try to up the vdimm to 2.9v when I was memtesting, but it didn't seem to help the memory on overclocking any. What would you say is the max volts these Infineon chips can safely take?
    edited November 2005
    About 3 i would say 24/7 with airflow. Most infineons doesn't scale on voltage though, except for the early chips. I have no idea of the weekly codes unfortunatly.
    I did find out recently that they don't clock as well on the DFI as they do on the Asus Premium. 280 was 3d stable on the Asus. Can't get more than 267 on the DFI. I wonder what the Asus could do with BH5 and a vdimm mod/booster. Hmmm. Infineon=Winbond. X-Files? ;D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    csimon wrote:
    pft I cancelled the order first thing when I woke up this morning and got this instead.
    AMD Opteron 175 Dual-Core 2.2GHz 1MB (per core) 64/32-Bit (939) (OEM) $461.63 + $5.90 Shipping.

Go for it Larry ...heck it's christmas! :thumbsup:

OK, I pushed the button on mine. :D Just wished I would have done it when I first considered it and it was $50.00 cheaper. :( Did I inspire your decision??? ;)

Week 39 should be in the food chain about now.

BTW
    I'm thinking this may be #4 as opposed to just upgrading an existing CPU. :D
    edited November 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    OK, I pushed the button on mine. :D Just wished I would have done it when I first considered it and it was $50.00 cheaper. :( Did I inspire your decision??? ;)

Week 39 should be in the food chain about now.

BTW
    I'm thinking this may be #4 as opposed to just upgrading an existing CPU. :D
    Yes you and Mac inspired me and the fact that it was only $50 ish more as compared to the enormous difference of the 180. But yeah you are mostly to blame! ;D

Who knows what week we will get ...cause mine still hasn't shipped and may not til next week.

:cheers: here's to gettin lucky! :thumbsup: