Opteron 170 Experiment

2»

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    I got a CCBWE 0541 RPMW. As far as overclocking to 2.9, I have a feeling this one won't though. :( Although maybe it's this Epox board too, since it's a rev 1.x early production board. I have done a vdimm mod to it and can get to around 3.15v vdimm now with it. I did try to up the vdimm to 2.9v when I was memtesting, but it didn't seem to help the memory on overclocking any. What would you say is the max volts these Infineon chips can safely take?

Hey Jim ...I did a little reading at xtremesystems last night and it seems that the 170's and 175's are doing about the same. Although I don't recall that particular stepping I do remember something about the burn in process being very important. It seems that even though one cpu will take you into the 2800's the other (cpu 0 where the os seems to reside) is bottlenecked at high 2700's. After some rigorous burn in apparntly the cpu 0 can catch up to the cpu 1 and you should be able to get the whole system stable to at least 2.8g. Probably by the time you go offshore of maybe when you get back if you leave if folding 24/7. I'll keep reading thru more.
    As far as the vdimm is concerned I hear mixed messages but at one forum the luck seems to be with dfi. MrIcee did a great article at anandtech on the expert. The dissapoinment seems to be with fatality and on another forum the asus boards seem to be doing great.
    This is definitely worth reasearching more.

On another note ...there seems to be an issue with the mushkin and a fix. This may or may not pertain to you but I know I read about it on the mushkin forums.

edit:/ borrowed this from the mush forum "That said, I was able to get 275mhz 24/7 stable super easy at like 2.6 or 2.7v. I was running 3-4-4-8 timings. Highest I could get 3-4-3-8 was 257mhz".
    edited November 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    I got a CCBWE 0541 RPMW. As far as overclocking to 2.9, I have a feeling this one won't though. :( Although maybe it's this Epox board too, since it's a rev 1.x early production board. I have done a vdimm mod to it and can get to around 3.15v vdimm now with it. I did try to up the vdimm to 2.9v when I was memtesting, but it didn't seem to help the memory on overclocking any. What would you say is the max volts these Infineon chips can safely take?
    Hey mudd ...my 175 came in today! If it makes you feel any better we have the same stepping! :thumbsup:
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Same stepping on mine as well guys. From the results from other forums, it doesn't look to good. 2.7 on good air tops.
    edited December 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Same stepping on mine as well guys. From the results from other forums, it doesn't look to good. 2.7 on good air tops.

don't you have a prometia or something?

Will you be testing it with the platinum 4k and the a8n32?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:

I remember when AMD started locking the multis and everyone was saying "We'll never be able to OC again!" Hindsight may be 20/20, but it looks like we can still OC!

I believe we've entered a golden age of computing, now that 2.7GHz "doesn't look too good."
    edited December 2005
    I have 4 waterblocks coming, but i will test the cpu on the Asus at least. If it clocks good on the Asus, i know it won't clock any better on the DFI. I mean 2.7ghz isn't that good when you can get cpu's from the same line that runs 2.7 ghz at stock speed. It just means Amd has got the hang of their binning. I'll try it on the prometeia as well if it likes volts.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    It makes sense from that angle, and I suppose you could have said the same for the locked Barton 2500s that were capping out around 2.2Ghz, but I was still happy to get an (at the time) $250 CPU for $75. ;)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    hey Mudd you looking to sell that 4400 X2? cause I am looking for one :)

or do you think the Opteron runs better?

I have yet to run my own tests on these nice Opt's I am hearing about!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I got mine this week and it is the same stepping but a week 42. Haven't had a chance to drop in in yet. But I don't think it will be any better. :shakehead
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    wow guys. you have me so torn between two decisions. my car stereo, or a new opty system with an opty 175, DFI SLI-DT mobo, ocz powerstream psu, 7800GT, and audigy 2ZS, and a new siverstone temjin case. all for $1364. i want it so bad. that opty looks like a beast. dual 64 bit cores. i could be foldin in one core and gaming on the other and not even notice it. ;D or i could even have two F@H's running at once couldnt i?

I'll probably just do this in pieces, and buy my stereo first. ill just buy the case, and then when i get the money buy the other parts to it. these opty's arent going anywhere are they?
    edited December 2005
    ........ these opty's arent going anywhere are they?
    Yes they are! You will likely not find them as a Reatil item in the not too distant future as they are going to be sold to mfgrs for OEM machines. :(
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Frankly, I'm surprised these chips are available now in retail channel. I think the only reason you can find them is that Monarch is a direct dealer from AMD as well as a retail seller of components. If Monarch is doing this to boost their name recognition, they deserve the accolades. AMD is selling every Opteron they can manufacturer, as fast as they can get them packaged.
    edited December 2005
    Hey goat what mobo will you put it in?
    edited December 2005
    csimon wrote:
    Hey goat what mobo will you put it in?
    Chris,
    It is going in my DFI NF4 SLI-DR with 2x512 G. Skill 4400LE (TCCD), ATI X800XL, PC P&C 510 SLI and Thermalright XP-120. Today was shot as I didn't even get home from work till 6:30 PM and I have to go in from 6:00 AM till noon or so tomorrow. :( But the 38 hours or so of OT will help on my paycheck. ;)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    so im thinking maybe ill just by the opty and just put it away until i get my stereo in and save up MORE money to finish off the computer. that should work. but honestly $410 or so is the most ive ever spent on a processor. its a leap for me. i hope the performance is as good as people say it is. not to mention i wanna be ready for vista anyway.

how much longer do you think the oem's will be in the retail market?

//EDIT
    how well do the E6 steppings on the 175's do on overclocking. ive heard alot of people saying 2.9 on air??!!. is this true? and what mobo is the best for these. if i spend the money. im gonna finally make a gaming rig that I'll be happy with for more than 9 months instead of a sub $700 gaming wanabe.
  • edited December 2005
    Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I've been at work and no access to my Opti rig plus limitations on net access too (due to some sorry MF d/l'ing a movie on a company laptop that broke and was sent in :rolleyes: ). I just now started doing some testing on those figures you posted Mac. I set most of them in bios instead of Tweaker, since Epox's last bios gives most of those settings in bios now. I'm presently memtesting at 260 fsb to see if those timings help me get a higher fsb speed at 1:1 settings, then if it looks memtest stable there I'll go for bumping the proc speed up some more.

I do know that I'm perfectly stable at 2500 though as Everest showed an uptime of 14 days this morning, folding it's butt off.
    edited December 2005
    Always a good start. I'm testing the new Asus A8n32 as we speak. TCCD, BH5/UTT, EB all runs very well on this board so far. 260 is a piece of cake on the EB, but i'm not done yet.
    edited December 2005
    check out the fsb here ...http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=2993 :wow:

edit:\ I just read that there is a new stock of 165's at monarch ...and that all other retailers are out.