SETI@home

this program called SETI @ home it searches for life on different planets which is more interesting then folding.. why is it called folding anyways..
yah so lol ;D
i'd rather search for little green men. extra terrestrial life

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2005
    So would I. Imagine being the one to find the signal. However, if you did find it who would benifit? nobody. We all know they're out there anyway so confirming it would only be your 15 mins of fame. Imagine all those SETI PCs folding, who benifits? everybody. I think I'll stick to folding.
  • edited November 2005
    this program called SETI @ home it searches for life on different planets which is more interesting then folding.. why is it called folding anyways..
    yah so lol ;D
    i'd rather search for little green men. extra terrestrial life

This section is Folding@Home and is for a reason. Do a search on google and you'll find where you need to go. ;)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Green Men! You kids need help....

Folding is for the support of family and friends, long with yourself... greenmen are a waste of time!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I'd rather find the cure for parkinsons, which directly benefits millions, than confirm the existence of an LGM which, for all intents and purposes, would still be the subject of scientific debate for years to come, less any real benefit to real people.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited November 2005
    Little green men probibly Fold. :rolleyes:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    I find this quite interesting. You can read the latest news concerning BEM's while waiting in line at the grocery store. ;)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    By pressing cancel ...you remain the smartest creature known to mankind! :thumbsup::fold:
    et.JPG 28.6K
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2005
    SETI is a waste of cpu cycles that could be going to saving lifes with folding.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2005
    Donut wrote:
    Little green men probibly Fold. :rolleyes:

ROFL thats a good one!
  • edited November 2005
    okay u guys think it's all a joke anyways.. haha yea.. but maybe i found out about folding before all of you people :P.. because seti@home is much more cool then folding.. and a box doesn't come up saying you found extra terrestrial life ...your looking for signal not little green men plus you can use the software manager to conduct proteins too it's called projector@home
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    :topic:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    but maybe i found out about folding before all of you people :P.. because seti@home is much more cool then folding..

Cool is a matter of perspective. Whether SETI is searching for LGM or "signals," neither are going to cure cancer for me. Maybe the research on the Folding@Home results will extend my life by generating new treatments for disease. Then maybe I'll live long enough to meet some LGM, and we can joke about how lame SETI@Home is over some coffee :D

Oh, and that fancy 3D vis of yours is eating up your CPU cycles and making your search for LGM a little slower.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    lock_it.gif
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited November 2005
    I love how the thread just comes to a screeching halt after the lock emote appears, despite the fact that the thread is very much unlocked. It's like a prop right out of psychology 101.
    ;D
    edited November 2005
    lock_it.gif
    Actually, though this thread began as an off-topic exercise it has developed into a useful reminder of just why it is that we Fold. :)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and entitled to make their own choice regarding what software they install and run on their computer. It's doubtful that this debate will have any effect on those who have already made up their minds. Those who are undecided may benefit from a frank - and friendly - discussion of the merits of each program. ;)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I just like the idea of a dancing lock. Now someone with awesome skills should make a dancing folding cog! :D
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    okay u guys think it's all a joke anyways..

I used to do SETI, never thought it was a joke.
    haha yea.. but maybe i found out about folding before all of you people :P.. because seti@home is much more cool then folding..

That doesn't even make any sense. Folding Folds, Seti searches for certain patterns in radio frequencies, i.e. it doesn't "fold" anything, so no, you didn't. Second, lots of us have been here since the project was first released. Third, what exactly makes it cool?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I did seti for over a year before F@H came out. So, no, I don't think it's crazy or stupid. I just think folding is more important.
    edited November 2005
    I did seti for over a year before F@H came out. So, no, I don't think it's crazy or stupid. I just think folding is more important.
    Same here. Are you sure we weren't separated at birth? :p
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    okay u guys think it's all a joke anyways
    No, not at all. Years ago, I ran it for a month or so. Thought it was completely boring and that it only dealt with the 'what' and 'if'. It also makes a huge, blind faith assumption that extraterrestrials would use electromagnetic wave spectra just as humans do. Started Folding years ago and haven't looked back.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I ran it back in the day, too. There are so many distributed computing programs out these days, and I just feel that there are several that are more likely to make an impact on everyday life. If I wasn't folding, I'd probably be running climateprediction.net.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2005
    I also ran seti back in the day.

However seti is no longer worth the use of my cpu cycles.
    edited December 2005
    I noticed that Intel pulled their support for F@H, I also noticed that it said they have pulled support for all DC programs, so does that mean the Intel biased "United Devices" will die a death?
  • edited December 2005
    I sould put a dancing penis up just to make you guys aware that quoting me only makes u look stupid.. or me well doesn't matter i can say watever i want.. so if u guys wanna bargade me with unsolicted comments that fine i can take it.. but yeah if folding is so important.. ur'e never gonna make the final mark u or ur team 93.. because there is way more people in SETI@HOME.. than using proctector@home with combing proteins
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Was there a point to your comment? :scratch:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Mr. Loaded. Chill, man! Don't be so super sensitive. YOU opened this thread in a forum that has one of the best Folding@Home teams in the world, and promoted SETI@Home. SETI@HOme is fine, and so are the people who participate in that program. Don't take things personally simply because we aren't keen on SETI@Home. Many of us were running it years before you probably had even heard of it. You are welcome as a member of Short-Media, but if you continue to be touchy, you'll be miserable here.

Don't sweat it - we all have bad days now and then.
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited December 2005
    If I hadn't started doing Seti @ Home (very shortly after it was started) I would have had no idea what F @ H was. I did Seti for over a year before I joined a team - then got hooked on statistics and started learning how to build my own stuff :D The team I was on got into every project around - I liked folding and found Short-Media and decided to devote all my efforts to this team - and this effort. POWER TO YOU - You like Seti - do Seti. If 17 or Bust is still around, help those math people find some more little prime numbers. Or maybe try that climate predictor proggy. :respect: Whatever YOUR choice, GO FOR IT!!! Do it with GUSTO!! :fold: Jack
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Mr. Loaded. Chill, man! Don't be so super sensitive. YOU opened this thread in a forum that has one of the best Folding@Home teams in the world, and promoted SETI@Home. SETI@HOme is fine, and so are the people who participate in that program. Don't take things personally simply because we aren't keen on SETI@Home. Many of us were running it years before you probably had even heard of it. You are welcome as a member of Short-Media, but if you continue to be touchy, you'll be miserable here.

Don't sweat it - we all have bad days now and then.

I'm agree with Leo 99% on this. The 1% disagreement can be attributed to the fact that I think it should be addressed to "Mr. Skillz" as "Loaded" appears to be a first name.

I'm torn between wondering if Mr. Skillz is being serious in these posts, or just trying to stir up trouble and invite Necro to add another notch to his BanStick™...
    edited December 2005
    You said Banhammer. Our survey says...
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I like this approach...