Nvidia Quadro 280NVS - Quality?

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited December 2005 in Hardware
What can you guys tell me about 'workstation' video, in reference to the Nvidia Quadro 280NVS. These cards are touted as the best quality 2D that can be had. True? Well, what about mpeg and avi? Will it bog down? Also, in 2D, will this card be slow transitioning from one pic to another in digital photography editing? That's why I'm interested in this card - digital 2D editing. Here's a link to the specific Quadro

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I have a hard time believing that is pcie leon. I would guess that it is pci.
    At any rate you wanted to know if it would be slow in digital transitioning for editing?
    What size pics are we talking about? Truecolor?

If it were me I'd look for a little more ...perhaps a refurbed or ebay matrox or 3dlabs. That's pro quality IMO.

I think it would make a good backup card to take the place in case you ever need to RMA though! :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Photo editing would be JPEGs, average size 1 to 1.5MB. Later it will probably RAW format images up to 3.5 or 4 MB. Color nearly always be True Color.
    edited December 2005
    I know my agp quadro 2's did a great job at 3d editing. I do a lot of digital editing now on a 7700ve 32mb and it's sluggish at times ...especially with large files.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Leo, I'll be able to tell you how the quality is come next week as a friend is giving me his 280NVS to use at work. I'll be hooking it up to dual 19" LCDs using the DVI > dual analog tail. I'll run some videos and open up a bunch of images in PS and see how it does. I can't imagine it being a problem. 2D work doesn't really take up much processing power, even photo editing. The tax on your system will be on the CPU more than anything else.

By the way, Chris, nVidia makes this card in the 3 slot formats. Mine is the PCI version.
    edited December 2005
    Kwitko wrote:
    By the way, Chris, nVidia makes this card in the 3 slot formats. Mine is the PCI version.

When did they make this card? :scratch:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I believe they still make it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    They are currently making it. There are a number of them on Ebay from reputable sellers. All the sales descriptions are saying the cards are new, coming from new workstation pulls. Well anyway, I found one for $24.95 and purchased it. For that price, I guess I can't go wrong. I bought the PCIe version. It's probably going in my new Folding box, which will be Pentium D 820/MSI 945P Neo-F based (cheap, dual core Folding power). The MSI does not have an AGP slot. If it truly is professional grade 2D, I'll swap some parts around from System No. 1 and make the new Folder my primary home machine. I don't do gaming but do quite a bit of digital photo editing.
    edited December 2005
    Leo, the guy I'm getting the card from said it's a pretty nice CAD card. High precision is needed for CAD work, which is something today's High-Falootin'™ gaming cards lack. While they do excel at throwing down the polygons at a high rate, you probably wouldn't want to use one to design an airplane. :eek3:

Someone correct me if I'm totally off base here. I'm going by second (or third or even fourth) hand info here.
    edited December 2005
    Kwitko wrote:
    Leo, the guy I'm getting the card from said it's a pretty nice CAD card. High precision is needed for CAD work, which is something today's High-Falootin'™ gaming cards lack. While they do excel at throwing down the polygons at a high rate, you probably wouldn't want to use one to design an airplane. :eek3:

Someone correct me if I'm totally off base here. I'm going by second (or third or even fourth) hand info here.
    LOL ...don't look at me I'm still trying to figure out the difference.
    I went from a $700 professional card to a $300 game card and I thought the game card performed better in every way. Nvidia does excel in opengl though I must admit.