New PC Build Options for GHoosdum

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Hardware
This thread is going to be something like csimon's Rig Wish List thread.

I am tentatively scheduling my next PC purchase for June, 2006.

I need some help on what to buy. Fortunately, I get reimbursed 20% of my purchase price through work. It's taxed as a bonus, though, so it really comes out to around 12% back. I want a good system, but the catch is, I probably won't have much more than about $1000 to spend. :( I know M2 will be out by then, but I'm not sure I can squeeze it into my budget. I'm also looking for quiet.

Here is my current list, and I will be updating it as better options come along and/or are suggested in the thread. Approximate budgeted prices are in parentheses, and right now my config is over budget.

CPU: A64 X2 3800+ ($314)

CPU cooler: Thermaltake Big Typhoon ($50)

Motherboard: Asus A8R-MVP ($115)

RAM: OCZ Performance 2GB ($200)

Video Card: 6800GS ($200)

HDD: 250GB SATAII ($110)

Optical 1: NEC DVD Burner (Silver) ($45)

Optical 2: NEC DVD Burner (Black) ($45)

Case: CoolerMaster Centurion ($65)

PSU: Antec TPII-480W ($85)

Total Configuration Price: $1230

Have at it.

I'm still accepting recommendations & suggestions for all components.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    If your waiting until June get the nex M2 setup form AMD with DDR2 support. From the sounds of it AMD's boards are going to make good use of the DDR2!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    As I stated above, M2 most likely won't be within my budget...
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Wow I must have missed that entire part... i thought i read the entire thread :) sorry bud..
    edited December 2005
    No problem, it was sound advice - I just can't afford it! ;)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Why two DVD burners? :scratch:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    CPU heatsink/fan. I highly recommend the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. This is not the chintzy, tacky Thermaltake of a few years back. I also run two Zalman 7700s. The Typhoon far outclasses the 7700 in both CPU thermal dissipation and quiet operation. It is simply awesome. It is huge, but the mounting hardware is excellent.

If (yes, I did say IF) M2 prices are reasonable, you definitely should go that route. DDR2 - it is quickly becoming the new standard. If affordable, go with DDR2.
    The Arctic Silver hasn't even cured yet and this dual core Presshot, each core overclocked from the default 2800MHz to 3332MHz is running at 44*C!
    edited December 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Why two DVD burners? :scratch:

I want two optical drives in my next build for copying purposes, and the DVD burners are cheap enough these days that I figured why not? Really, though, if you can recommend a decent quality DVD reader that's relatively quiet, I'll gladly make the switch. Especially since every buck counts on the build.
    Leonardo wrote:
    CPU heatsink/fan. I highly recommend the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. This is not the chintzy, tacky Thermaltake of a few years back. I also run two Zalman 7700s. The Typhoon far outclasses the 7700 in both CPU thermal dissipation and quiet operation. It is simply awesome. It is huge, but the mounting hardware is excellent.

If (yes, I did say IF) M2 prices are reasonable, you definitely should go that route. DDR2 - it is quickly becoming the new standard. If affordable, go with DDR2.

You just saved me 10 bucks. Big Typhoon it is.

I will certainly keep my eyes on the M2 prices, and make the switch in my list if it comes in at reasonable pricing levels.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2005
    GHoosdum wrote:
    No problem, it was sound advice - I just can't afford it! ;)

Still may be - June is a long ways off. If the M2 does seriously hit by then, you may be looking at firesales on Toledo cores and quality DDR memory for less than you have this system right now. (It's cool to plan/dream ahead :) )

Like Leo, I also have a cooler idea you might like- especially if you are a loyal Zalman fan- the CNPS9500 LED . I read about it in Maximum PC (Holiday 2005) and here .

I've got this right now (like $53 on sale) as I'm piecing together my own X2. I think the thing that sold me was the quality+quiet aspect of it.

Have fun with this GHoos!

EDIT ADDED: Rats- too late- sorry :-/
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    How about...
    a pair of BenQ 1640's for your burners.
    a 6800GS for video
    it has to be OCZ ram, are you going to OC the ram? If not then cas2 at DDR400 will be fine.
    I am partial to CoolerMaster Centurion cases. They have the front connections in the top of the case. I can actually reach them there when my case is on the floor.
    edited December 2005
    edcentric wrote:
    How about...
    a pair of BenQ 1640's for your burners.
    a 6800GS for video
    it has to be OCZ ram, are you going to OC the ram? If not then cas2 at DDR400 will be fine.
    I am partial to CoolerMaster Centurion cases. They have the front connections in the top of the case. I can actually reach them there when my case is on the floor.

OK, tell me about the BenQ drives. I've seen the NECs recommended many times around here, and that's why I listed them, but if the BenQ's are the concensus now, I'll change.

What's the story on the 6800GS? Better than 6600GT, most likely, but how much better?

Why OCZ RAM specifically? I've always used Kingston and Corsair and never had a problem. Why make the switch to OCZ? Is it beause of Mack's job? ;) I will probably be OCing the CPU at least, so some headroom in the RAM might be a good idea (?)

I checked out the Centurion cases. I like the looks of them, and I'm keeping them in mind. While I don't keep my case on the floor, the higher front connections still may come in handy.
    edited December 2005
    Qeldroma wrote:
    Like Leo, I also have a cooler idea you might like- especially if you are a loyal Zalman fan- the CNPS9500 LED . I read about it in Maximum PC (Holiday 2005) and here .

Man there are just too many puns in there! :D

I'm not particularly loyal to Zalman, in fact I've never used one before... I just heard so many times that they're quiet. However, the Big Typhoon is a little cheaper and has a bigger fan, so I think I may just try it out. ;)
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited December 2005
    For a case, I'd go with the Antec P-180. I've been wanting to get it for a long time.

Also, why not just get a Thermalright SI-120? I can probably find a review but it's probably going to be better than Thermaltake.
    edited December 2005
    If I recall correctly, the Zalman 9500 is within 2-3C* cooling capability of the Big Typhoon, up there in the top category of coolers. There are differences though, between cooling capacities of heatsinks on single versus dual core CPUs. What I mean by that is that there are different coolers that will perform similarly on single core chips but that will show wildly diverging abilities on dual core CPUs.

As far as Big Typhoon versus Zalman 9550 - that all may be a moot point by June 2006. Who knows what will be the cooling king by then. I'm sure Thermaltake, Thermalright, and Zalman will not be sitting still in the next 6 months.
    edited December 2005
    entropy wrote:
    For a case, I'd go with the Antec P-180. I've been wanting to get it for a long time.

Also, why not just get a Thermalright SI-120? I can probably find a review but it's probably going to be better than Thermaltake.

The P-180 is a nice-looking case, but a bit expensive. I'd be hard-pressed to justify the extra money, even to myself. :(

The SI-120 appears to be an XP-120 with less Aluminum(?) It's something to check out, but for the extra money it costs over the Tt, I don't know if it's worth it.

Good point you make, Leo. I'll probably be reassessing the heatsink necessities within a few months.
    edited December 2005
    The top coolers now are the Scythe Ninja, TT Big Typhoon, Zalman 9500, and the SI/XP 120s. The advantages of the with Big Typhoon over the other heatsinks is price and ultra-quiet operation. It's near dead silent. It makes my Zalman 7700s seem loud by comparison. You are going to see similar performance as far as cooling goes between the behemoth heatsinks. In my opinion, the variables that may influence your purchase decision will be ease of installation, appearance, price, and noise level of the heatsink.

Correction: in a post above I stated that the Zalman 9500 was typically 2-3*C higher in temp than the Typhoon. Not necessarily. Here's an X-Bit review comparison of the Scythe, Typhoon, and Zalman. I wouldn't rely on this review alone, as the CPU used was a single core chip. Also, looking at their results leads to me question their accuracy. But it's a decent comparison nonetheless.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    GHoosdum wrote:
    OK, tell me about the BenQ drives. I've seen the NECs recommended many times around here, and that's why I listed them, but if the BenQ's are the concensus now, I'll change...
    I don't know that the consensus is that they're better, just that they may be a better value. I've been a fan of BenQ drives for a while now (my dad, daughter, & GF all use them now, and my DVD-rom drive is a BenQ), but that was mainly because at the time a BenQ burner could be had for $40 and the NEC's were running nearly double that. For $45 I might be inclined to go NEC, since the cheapest BenQ drive I see at the 'egg right now is $37.

I think you'd be happy with either, my only advice being that you check the bundled burner software. My no-name DVD burner came with a full version of Nero which would have cost more than the drive itself had I purchased it separately. :)
  • edited December 2005
    I've heard good things about the Big Typhoon too, GH. Also, by the time you decide to start purchasing equipment there will probably be something newer and better out there and the price on the Typhoon will come down some, I'm sure. Since an X2 proc isn't the beast that a DC P4 proc is to cool, any of the ones listed so far would be a great choice and even the XP90 works well too, but would be a little noisier due to using a 92mm vs a 120mm fan. It's much cheaper though and it cools an X2 well.

For the case, that CM Centurion case looks temping. I just got a CM Praetorian for Christmas and I'm really impressed with the build quality of it. It's my first Coolermaster case but definitely not my last.

For a mobo/cpu combo, it's nice to look at stuff now but don't get make your mind just yet. See what the M2 and mobo's for it cost before you buy. You might be able to get a good deal on a 939 board and proc, but it's going to be pretty much dead technology soon, along with DDR ram. But don't rule it out because the cost savings might justify the fact that it's old tech.

EDIT: About the Abit mobo; I've read some stuff recently about a bunch of bad Abit boards and really sorry RMA service on Abit's site. To me, it looks like Abit's financial problems must be real and that they've cut both build quality and also service. :(
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    EDIT: About the Abit mobo; I've read some stuff recently about a bunch of bad Abit boards and really sorry RMA service on Abit's site. To me, it looks like Abit's financial problems must be real and that they've cut both build quality and also service. :(

I agree ...I'd stay away from abit until they get bought out or something.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I'd also stay away from ABIT this time 'round; the performance, stability, and RMA reports have been less than favourable.. Seems to coincide quite nicely with DFI picking up some of ABIT's most prestigious engineers.
    edited December 2005
    Well, I chose the Abit mobo over all the others because of the passive cooling, is there a good DFI alternative? I know I'm going to ask again when M2 comes out, but I might as well have some good ideas as time goes on...
  • edited January 2006
    I'm sure that there are some boards out there that also are using passive cooling on the nb chip; I think that Asus is using passive cooling on some of their boards. I'm not sure about DFI though.
  • AtticusAtticus Dryden, Ontario, Canada.
    edited January 2006
    What style/look are you looking for in a case? I just finished a build and have looked at SOOOO many cases i'm sick of them, but i'm sure i can help you find something you like.
    edited January 2006
    Atticus wrote:
    What style/look are you looking for in a case? I just finished a build and have looked at SOOOO many cases i'm sick of them, but i'm sure i can help you find something you like.

Modern (not beige), easy to work in but not huge, and 120mm intake and exhaust fan locations.
  • edited January 2006
    GH, for a case, you might look at the Coolermaster Centurion 531 RC-531-SSN1 Silver Aluminum bezel case. It looks like it has a 120mm fan already mounted in front and space for a 120mm fan on the back and isn't your ordinary beige box. I just got the Praetorian aluminum case for Christmas and I'm really impressed with the build quality of it.
    edited January 2006
    That's a nice case, mudd. I think I've looked at it before on Newegg when I was browsing around. Anyway, it's on my short list.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    The thing that I like about the BQ1640 is that it will burn and read almost anything. It is quick and reliable. Not pickey about the media either.

The 6800GS is a short lived product, just filling a gap. It is a fast 6800, for a good price.
    edited January 2006
    Thanks for the info, updating selections.

Now what's the story on the OCZ ram specifically?
    edited January 2006
    How far do you expect an overclock on the 3800+ ...what will you satisfied with?
    edited January 2006
    csimon wrote:
    How far do you expect an overclock on the 3800+ ...what will you satisfied with?

Honestly, I'd be satisfied with the stock speed of that CPU, but I'm expecting to be able to get 2.4GHz or so out of it. Of course, the 3800+ won't necessarily even be the pick if the M2 CPUs are inexpensive enough and/or drive the price down on the 939 stuff.
    edited January 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Honestly, I'd be satisfied with the stock speed of that CPU, but I'm expecting to be able to get 2.4GHz or so out of it. Of course, the 3800+ won't necessarily even be the pick if the M2 CPUs are inexpensive enough and/or drive the price down on the 939 stuff.
    Well you've got a few things going for you ...especially time.
    The AM2 and ddr2 ram and chipsets may start to come down in price by the time you're ready to buy ...but for certain the current stuff will be dropping.
    At this point I would have to recommend the same mobo I have ...the Asus A8R-MVP with some good pc3200 ram ...probably the ocz plat stuff.
    By the time you are ready to buy there will be new chipsets out and all that. You can keep an eye on the new RD580 which should be something worth looking forward to.
    Also ...you could consider an eVga 7800gt.