Maxtor D540X-4K Hard drive

edited February 2006 in Hardware
I bought 2 of these things on ebay. But, I can't format them with the MaxBlast 4 software that was created from the download. However, I can put a setup disk with Fdisk in the floppy drive and restart the computer. Than I can change to c: drive and view the contents of these Maxtors. Otherwise my BIOS don't recognize these drives. I installed an Intel board with a Celeoron processor in my homebuilt.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

:wtf:

Comments

• edited February 2006
    WARNING ON MAXTOR D540X-4K HARD DRIVES.

To all who buy items on ebay, please don't buy any of these drives. I ended up throwing away both of the crumby things I had because I couldn't do anything with them. Now I know why. They have been taken out of fautly computers, with many of these drives having problems of their own. All these drives were headed for the dumpstar until several ebayers snapped them up, problably for nothing, and now is trying to stick ebay buyers with them. They are sold as is, so if it doesn't work, no refunds and no returns. Some of the ebayers who is selling these crappy drives makes no bones about them having problems. Thought I would warn you. GOT ROBBED!!

:doh:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    It sucks that you got burned. That's the risk you take when buying as-is items on eBay. Most of the time when I see these auctions and the negative feedback people leave, it's because they don't fully read the terms of the auction. However, warning people to stay away from all auctions on eBay for D540X-4K drives is just plain silly.

I mean, if you read the following in the description from this auction:
    I installed each of these hard drives in to my personal PC, each one of these hard drives failed to boot up, displaying IDE Device #0 Error.
    can you really blame the seller?
  • edited February 2006
    Kwitko wrote:
    However, warning people to stay away from all auctions on eBay for D540X-4K drives is just plain silly.

I read through my post again and I don't see anywhere that says to stay away from all auctions. I've bought, perfectly good, computers, motherboards and hard drives on ebay.

The hard drive that I have in my homebuilt right now that is being used as a slave drive came off from ebay. Works perfectly. These items had limited warranties as well.

Since I knew I was taking a chance on these D540X-4K drives, I did not leave bad feedback. I just learned a hard lesson as to not buy anything that has "As Is" on it. It was just this particular drive that I was complaining about. Most of the drives other than the drives that I speak of are OK and will bid on newer harddrives with a limited warranty.

So once again, be warned about these Maxtor hard drives. I stand by what I say.

Though I have been unhappy with some of my purchases even though the seller's claims aren't exactly accurate, I'm against leaving bad feedback or even neutral feedback. I try to work out any problems through emails.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    XPhater wrote:
    I read through my post again and I don't see anywhere that says to stay away from all auctions. I've bought, perfectly good, computers, motherboards and hard drives on ebay.

I never said you did. I said that you warning people to stay away from all of those particular drives was rather silly. Maybe you should read through *my* post again.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    XPhater, sorry your batch was bad. Ebay can be a bit tricky. I've been tempted before to try some of the "as is" offerings before, but considering shipping charges to Alaska, it's just not worth it on some items, even if I won them for $1.00.

I've learned from your thread. Thanks for posting
  • edited February 2006
    However, warning people to stay away from all auctions on eBay for D540X-4K drives is just plain silly.

Didn't come across to me that way since I was talking about selling these drives "As Is' from some of the ebayers. If an ebayer can gaurantee that one of these drives is working properly, fine, then bid on it.

So let me rephrase: Stay away from any and all of these drives where they are being sold "As Is". Everyone is just asking for it. And make sure you can return and get a refund.

:aol:
  • edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    XPhater, sorry your batch was bad. Ebay can be a bit tricky. I've been tempted before to try some of the "as is" offerings before, but considering shipping charges to Alaska, it's just not worth it on some items, even if I won them for $1.00.

I've learned from your thread. Thanks for posting

Your welcome. Actually, it was my own poor judgement since I read what he had to say and was very aware of what I may be getting into. Since then the guy has been kicked off from ebay for calling buyers, idiots, morons and fools, telling them to get off ebay and making threats in the feedbacks he left, if buyers left him negative feedbacks.

But, I have bought "As Is items before" and had pretty good luck with them though I've had to do some work on some of them. A good example of that was the computer I bought at Wal-mart even though I had to do some work on it. The only thing that was wrong with it was no one knew how to get rid of a password that a customer typed in. The only thing I did was set a jumper on the motherboard to eliminate the password. That computer was still working perfectly the day I bought another computer, because it had become obsolete.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited February 2006
    I have maybe 500 eBay buys. Never once ripped off. No I never buy as-is products without a warranty. That seems silly on so many levels I won't even go there. I have trouble believing anyone else would either.

You buy ONLY stuff that comes with a non DOA warranty from sellers with POSITIVE feedback selling similiar items.

So for example when you LOOK AT THE ITEMS he has feedback for and see two salt and pepper shakers, a rusty set of old spoons and knives, and a old rolling stones t-shirt and tennis shoes from 1978, that does NOT mean the $2000 HDTV flat panel TV he is supposedly selling is for real.

Check not only that he has positive feedback but that its for computers or TV's or whatever your buying.

eBay is a GREAT place to buy stuff. But reading skills is mandatory. Do your homework and you will be fine.

And as its been pointed out there is NOTHING wrong with this line of drives either. You made a mistake. THERE ARE THOUSANDS of bad drives of all makes and models floating on eBay.

You can box up stuff and sell it on eBay clearly stating you think its bad. That it did not work for you at all and to assume its nothing but a paperweight and some ninny will bid, and buy it for 5 bucks and pay you $12.50 to ship it to him.

Does that make the seller a bad guy? Or did the buyer not do his homework? (reading comprehension is important)

When they sell stuff with warranty "as-is" then you get what you pay for.

Tex