Project

2»

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    Dual opteron board. 539.00
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813151149
    SLI fo graphics, gigabit lan, SATA,PATA,SCSI. Up to 16gb. of ram.

Dual-core Opteron. 939.00ea.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103573

I didn't bother to check Tyan's website for dual core compatibility.

This is what I would look toward if money wasn't an object.:thumbsup:

Just fill in approved ram, graphics, and hard disk(s). Board is EATX so be aware when looking for a case.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Do NOT do a RAID 0 array for someone who may not have computer hardware skills. (Well, I guess the recipient does not have skills, or he'd be building a computer himself.) RAID 0 can be very easy to brake and even under normal conditions doubles the chances of data loss/files corruption.

That's why I'm thinking 0+1 would be a good idea. All the speed, plus redundancy.

What I would do myself (since I'm governed by the laws of economics ;D) is a compromise. I'd use my "old" 80gb WD 8mb cache drive for Windows, and two new fancypants SATA drives in RAID 0 for programs and storage. I'd have anything crucial automatically backed up (like photos) on a partition on the Windows drive by a piece of software. Or, if I had one more hard drive, I'd have Ghost back up both Windows and my crucial files to that drive.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    If your looking to spend alot of money and want a fast computer(dont feel like building), check out alienware, falcon, and voodoo pc's. All of those make high end computers with top of the line stuff.

Note: they arent cheap....I mean that
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited February 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    If your looking to spend alot of money and want a fast computer(dont feel like building), check out alienware, falcon, and voodoo pc's. All of those make high end computers with top of the line stuff.

Note: they arent cheap....I mean that
    I think you'd still get more for your money going custom, but a prebuilt has many advantages: warranty, someone to call if anything breaks, and less pressure for you to get everything going.
    edited February 2006
    Yea but assuming that this guy doesnt know too much about pc's, then it would be alot easier to buy a manufactured one.
    edited February 2006
    ...but a prebuilt has many advantages: warranty, someone to call if anything breaks, and less pressure for you to get everything going.
    Yeah I agree, tmh88
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited February 2006
    F*** prebuilt...stop telling him to get them.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited February 2006
    prebuilt computers are NAME ONLY! Your paying for some stupid sticker or case that has a name on it.

If you want to spend thousands of $$ on a name, let me go take a crap in a box and give it a name. I'll be glad to take that money off ya.

If you want to get into that whole maintenance and tech support thing, there are hundereds of forums across the web just like this one to find help in on virtually every computer catagory known to man.

I'm definately not saying he should build a multi-$1000's systme himself if he's never built one before, but for the love of god...don't turn him into another name brand buyer hack that ends up with some sort of story about how X company screwed him over on his PC.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    This is a great thread.... My setup will include triple monitors at 42" or so each ;)

I'll post later after work when I am done researching :P
    edited February 2006
    Motherboard

Processor

MemoryX4

VideoX2

PSU

CASE

Your gonna need cooling out the a$$ for this.
    edited February 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    Motherboard

Processor

MemoryX4

VideoX2

PSU

CASE

You'll get better RAM timings out of that board if you just stick with 2 sticks of RAM. 2 Gig's of RAM is plenty for just about every application under the Sun for a PC anyhow...don't you think?
    edited February 2006
    jradmin wrote:
    You'll get better RAM timings out of that board if you just stick with 2 sticks of RAM. 2 Gig's of RAM is plenty for just about every application under the Sun for a PC anyhow...don't you think?
    Yeah, but hey..hes got the money, why not the bragging rights?
    edited February 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    Motherboard

Processor

MemoryX4

VideoX2

PSU

CASE

lol did you just copy/paste all of those from my post? (except for the psu and case i see you added)
    edited February 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    Yeah, but hey..hes got the money, why not the bragging rights?

Cause he'll have more bragging rights from a higher 3Dmark05 score. :Rocker:
    edited February 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    Motherboard

Processor

MemoryX4

VideoX2

PSU

CASE

Why get an old tech GFX card? Go with the 512mb cards...

Also get a better case than that!! LIAN LI!! :thumbsup:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Lian Li is overpriced ****. With the amount of junk he'll be stuffing in the case, the CM Stacker is necessary.
    edited February 2006
    Just do what I did...get a chieftec full tower and mod it out. I need to post some pics of my Mandalorian Warrior =D
    edited February 2006
    I really like lian li. I have a case, and my friend has 2 of them. Theyre high quality, well built cases. Strong and durable.
    edited February 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    Theyre high quality, well built cases. Strong and durable.
    And coolermaster just sucks majorly right?
    edited February 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    I really like lian li. I have a case, and my friend has 2 of them. Theyre high quality, well built cases. Strong and durable.
    That's what I've heard too - best cases you can buy.
    edited February 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    And coolermaster just sucks majorly right?

yea, ummmm thats exactly what i said.....lol

Where does coolermaster come in with this? I didnt mention anything about them....i dont know where your coming from with this.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    So what ever happened to l0ki? :-/
    edited February 2006
    So what ever happened to l0ki? :-/

I think we scared him away :-/
  • edited February 2006
    Lol Im not going to "bitch" because if it freezes i will merely pull it apart and add new ****. This is basicly a toy. Im trying to make something incredible. I would like it to be able to handle any games, web surfing, music, media, and then some. Id rather it be fast and stable than huge 50terabytes of memory. Ok its the evrything comp. The faster i can get it.... The better! This isnt some terrible thing.. Its a TOY. I want to see the limits we can hit.. how fast... how much.. how sweet!
  • edited February 2006
    Whatever tower it is.. I need to know soon so i can buy it.. thats step one! and Im not scared.. I had to work alot the past few days (70+ hours this week alone!) Im sleepy going to crash out! you guys need to reach some serious medians as to what we can pump out..This needs to own all!
  • edited February 2006
    And as for the prebuilt? I have a perfecty ok come. I thought of getting a asus A8N permium comp already but decided to have you guys help me build one better! Gaming is a hobby I spend more time building with dreamweaver n **** that that.. I simply want a comp to handle my needs and other peoples (Im actually a comp nerd.. a lil bit anywho). I game,surf(includign webbuilding, and music. My friend is a PSCS2 and such nerd. My Girl is huge on dling and uploading pic and more to friends. My father is a (we live close) is a technical drawler(spelling?).. have you seen someone draft without AutoCAD? Its pathetic!!(not to mention I know how to use autoCAD!) I need it to do everything. Being the one out of all my friends and family who would enjoy doing this, I decided to so it! So because I didnt know how I could make something do all this... I figured i would find teh most intelligable forum and ask for their help. Now do you get it? I figured if anyone could fogure how to make a PC do everything awesomely it was you guys!
    edited February 2006
    We've given you "our" suggestions...now you have to decide what you want to do.