Dual Xeon or Dual Opteron??

dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Sally has been really keen on playing with/owning a Mobo with 2 physical processors.

Though it will be a server board with EEC Registered ram, etc, it's prime function will be folding as we don't really need a server for what we do.

Here are the items i have been looking at using Intel parts.

Asus NCCH-DR Motherboard.
Xeon 3.2 HT socket 604 x 2.

And the AMD parts.

Asus K8N-DL Motherboard.
AMD Opteron 265 x 2.

Using 4 x 512 Mb DDR400 memory.

I'll be using a ThermalTake XaxarIII case we already have, a 600W Psu with 24pin & 8pin into mobo.

I'll look into the cost of 4 x SataII HDD's to run in raid 0+1, else single drive.

Using XP Pro SP2 as the OS.

I'm not interested in mudslinging matches between AMD & Intel. Constuctive critisism is most welcome. Pro's and Con's for each would be really great and any changes that could be beneficial, providing it is still within the above budget. (in the links).

Rough pricing guide.
Proc's $550AUD x 2
Mobo $550AUD
Ram $110AUD x 4
OS $200AUD

Sally has always been keen on Intel as our computers spend all their time folding. I am leaning towards AMD with what info i could find on the web. We dont render, do video processing, or any intensive work. Just trying to keep the TEAM up near the top.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Just as a note the Opteron Family of CPU's in single core offer a 15% increase in performance over Intels Xeon offering and the Opteron Dual cores offer upto 33% increase in speed.

I currently run a Dual 3.6HT Xeon system at work, It wasn't my choice to go with Intel but lets just say I won't let that happen again. The Opterons are a far supioror offering for what your looking for and the price point is pretty damn good also.

I would recommend the Opterons over the Xeons as I have seen both in action for folding and computing tasks! & those Opty's seem to show a huge performance increase. not to mention AMD chips just seem to fold better overall.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Definitely check out this thread :thumbup
  • edited March 2006
    Hey Jon, how's everything going for you all?

I have a few links for you to reado on, since you and Sally want to build a true dually folding rig and can maybe save you some money on the build.

There is an ongoing thread at the overblockers.com forums in their smp forum (note that this isn't the overclockers AU.com forums) on building a dually Xeon on the cheap. Here's the link to the thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=363017 It's a pretty comprehensive thread and they are mostly using the M0 stepping Prestonia procs instead of the Nocona like you linked to.

BTW, It looks like the Asus website you linked to for the mobo is down for me so I can't view the features the mobo you've chosen has.

Hope this will help you out in your research into the new system. :)
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2006
    Thanks for the replies sofar guys.

Sledge, i believe your comments to be correct, as my little bit of research indicated simular results. Had the QMD's still been going strong, i would not have posted a thread. With those, Intel rules.:smiles:

Lemonlime, i did see that thread actually. Been keeping an eye on it as it is some very very nice equipment.:thumbsup:

G'day Mudd. We are doing OK, thanks. Getting towards the latter part of summer. Guess it will be our turn to start playing around with a few computers soon.:smiles:

I will definitely check your link. I don't really spend any time at OCAU as a few years ago, they could not be bothered to answer a comp upgrade question i posted. This is when i came across S-M and have been here ever since.

I got a couple of $$$'s to put to a new system as i got retrenched from my job after 8 years. 2 days after i got back home, i got a job offer so things should work out OK. At least i can get to see what a duallie looks like in the flesh.;)

We are not into gaming or anything like that, so as long as it folds and is no slouch at general computing, we'll be happy.

Also Mudd, you got a PM.

Jon
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2006
    No question here opterons.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    At the level you guys are at, you have to think about things like we who rack equipment in datacenters think about things - power/density/heat issues.

Since you mentioned that your electric bill is killing you, I would suggest Opterons. They use a lot less power than Xeons and they are very, very fast.

Time to build a little datacenter in your room and rack all those pieces :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I
    would recommend the Opterons over the Xeons as I have seen both in action for folding and computing tasks! & those Opty's seem to show a huge performance increase. not to mention AMD chips just seem to fold better overall.
    Dragon, a duallie Xeon rig could run four instances of F@H simultaneously. An HT processor will not equal two processors, nor will equal the output of the same type processor with two real cores, but the production is still significant. QMDs aren't the only lucrative work units for HT Intel CPUs. My systems 1 and 3 have each produced up to 500 points per day with some of the Double Gromacs; the dual core 820 rig up to 800 points per day. The Gb Gromacs are mediocre.

I've no experience with dual core Opterons. What can they be expected to produce with some of the better Tinkers?
    edited March 2006
    At the level you guys are at, you have to think about things like we who rack equipment in datacenters think about things - power/density/heat issues.

Since you mentioned that your electric bill is killing you, I would suggest Opterons. They use a lot less power than Xeons and they are very, very fast.

Time to build a little datacenter in your room and rack all those pieces :D

You wouldn't be able house a few of them would you Prime???:nudge:

Had we envisaged what we ended up doing, i'm sure the set up would be totally different. It wasn't too bad in the beginning, but then the addiction set in and it was TOO late.;)
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    i think you get banned from SM if you go xeon, im not sure, im gonna check the rules..

;)
    edited March 2006
    Ship 'em here, we'll rack em!

Better yet, come to SM LAN 06, and bring a few with you :p
  • edited March 2006
    citrixmeta wrote:
    i think you get banned from SM if you go xeon, im not sure, im gonna check the rules..

;)

;D;D Sometimes I wonder if that ain't the truth. ;D
    edited March 2006
    banned ;)
    edited March 2006
    citrixmeta wrote:

;)

That will only last till the next lot of QMD's come out. Then the Xeon's will PWN, lol.:rockon:
    edited March 2006
    banned ;)

:eek2::-/:( :mad2: :bawling: :screwed:

;D;D

Leo, i have looked at what is most suited for our needs. Computing wise, it does not matter, AMD or Intel. So i guess the next thing is overall speed and running cost. Here i believe from research and posts, AMD is faster and cheaper to run.

AMD = 4 cores, Intel 2 cores + Hyper Threading. With the right protein, both have advantage/dis-advantage.

Next....Sally likes Intel, i started to favour AMD.

Decisions, decisions, lol. My 3800+ X2 feels nice and smooth, so i think i may still favour AMD. (read above posts).

This will also stop me from getting banned!!!!;D ;D;D
    edited March 2006
    Computing wise, it does not matter, AMD or Intel. So i guess the next thing is overall speed and running cost. Here i believe from research and posts, AMD is faster and cheaper to run.
    I couldn't agree more. Also, it finally dawned on me that you were considering a dualie board with two dual core CPUs versus the Xeons. Whoa boy - NO contest. Four AMD cores will beat two HT Xeons!
    edited March 2006
    Well, parts have been ordered, so no turning back.

Could not get the Asus board so went with Tyan.

Tyan Thunder K8WE S2895A2NRF
    AMD Opteron 265 Dual Core x 2
    Legend 512MB PC3200 eec/reg ram x 8
    GALAXY Geforce 6800 GS 256 Pci-e
    WD2500KS x 4 (raid 0+1)
    Enermax ELT620AWT Liberty 620W
    XP Pro
    CM Stacker 830

Did not plan for a few things, but having to go the Tyan way, no way was i putting all that in an old (still in use folding) ThermalTake XaxerIII case.

Sure hope all this will work out, cause there is no going back. Now just having to wait for the gear to arrive.:)

Can't wait to see a Quad screen in Taskmanager Performance.:smiles:
  • edited March 2006
    That's going to make a dynamite rig for Sally there, Jon. I just can't wait to see that dual proc, dual core beast in operation. :thumbsup:
    edited March 2006
    w00t............most of the parts have arrived, as per post #17. Just need the case and the PSU. It is coming from the Eastern States by truck, so i'd guess it should be crossing the Nullarbor plains right now. :smiles:

Whilst having a look around [H], i found a picture of the same mobo with 2 Zalman 9500's on it. Could not pass it up, so they arrived this morning.

Once i get started on it, i'll post the compulsory pic's.:)

Borrowed this pic from [H]ard|forum in post #8 in this thread. The owners logon is "theseeker". Hope he doesn't mind.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Wow guys.. that is going to be a MONSTER! :wow:

Enjoy!
    edited March 2006
    Shorty wrote:
    Wow guys.. that is going to be a MONSTER! :wow:

Enjoy!

Thanks.......sure hope it will work ok.:smiles:

And the best part is.................2 x 2 = 4 instances of F:fold:LDING.

:clap: ......W:fold:fold::fold::fold:T......:clap:

Sorry......i do get carried away.:doh::mullet:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    I missed this thread until just now, but I just want you to know that I am soooooo jealous! :grr:

Couldn't have happened to a nicer pair of folks, though. :)
    edited March 2006
    That will only last till the next lot of QMD's come out. Then the Xeon's will PWN, lol.

Jon and Sally, if you guys don't post productions results when this beast rises from its slab...you both are banned. :shakehead
    edited March 2006
    Sorry if it is making you jealous, Prof. Was not our intention.;)

Oh no...........another ban in the making.;D
    First it was in case we bought Intel, now coming from a different tangent.;)

Just to show what has arrived. (includes a pic borrowed of the net for the case):vimp:
    (Still waiting for the case and 620W PSU).:rant:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    :wow:

omg, that is one killer rig Jon & Sally. pics! we need more pics! :D Thats exciting stuff :cheers:
    edited March 2006
    You might be the first quad cpu folder on this site :eek:
    edited March 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    :wow:

omg, that is one killer rig Jon & Sally. pics! we need more pics! :D Thats exciting stuff :cheers:

We'll see what we can do, cause you asked so nicely.:thumbsup:

Now, there is one thing we need to get sorted here.:mad:

If we buy Intel, we get BANNED!!:crazy:

If we dont post productions results, we get BANNED!!:tongue2:

If we don't post Pic's, we get BANNED (getting in first)!!:rolleyes:

Just to keep things on an even keel, why not just change my user name to:"BANNED".;D;D;D
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited March 2006
    You might be the first quad cpu folder on this site :eek:

Maybe the first quad with any horsepower. ;) (and a lot of horsepower at that!)
    Last fall I had a Compac Proliant 6000 folding (4-500mhz xeons). I'd still be using it but it draws way to much power and even another room, is way to loud!
    Right now said machine is holding up my printer.:D

Please Mr. "Banned", we need more pics to drool over!
    edited March 2006
    Yeah, there's a couple of those quad xeon compaqs in the server room at my office. They are really not cut out for folding :p
    edited March 2006
    The case arrived today. As i had not seen it in real life, had no real idea on it's size. Wow...........it is BIG. The side cover takes 4 x 120mm fans. It is huge. Lots of room to move around in.:)

Guess now the real fun begins.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Yeah, there's a couple of those quad xeon compaqs in the server room at my office. They are really not cut out for folding :p

got a few of those here, but i doubt we can do some serious folding with them :(