Help Us Upgrade Older SMx Rigs

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited June 2006 in Folding@Home
In addition to continuing to roll out new SMx computers, we are also beginning a program to upgrade some of the older rigs. They were great in their day, but as you can see from the following list, their day has passed.

The rigs we'd like to start with are these:
  • SM1 – 1000 Tbird
  • SM2 – 1400 Tbird
  • SM3 – 1333 Tbird
  • SM4 – 1700+
  • SM5 – <s>1600+</s> Duron 1100 :eek3:
  • SM9 – Intel PIII 1000
  • SM12 – 1000 Tbird
  • SM13 – Intel PIII 1000
  • SM14 – 1000 TBird
  • SM15 – 1600+
  • <s>SM16 – 1000 Tbird</s> Upgraded to an Athlon 2600+ by Necropolis :thumbsup:
  • SM17 – 1600+
  • SM20 – 1600+
Besides being a great way to thank the loyal Hosts who have done a diligent job of caring for our Team 93 computers, it will also be a great way to boost our point production. Our Hosts are providing a place in their homes for these rigs and are paying the electric bill to keep them running - let's maximize that production as best we can.

In many cases, a simple CPU upgrade will do the trick. Slide the old one out, pop the new one in, and watch the points start to pile up. For the two PIII rigs and a couple of others with MB limitations it's going to take a bit more.

We'd like to have donors ship parts directly to the Hosts. The purpose of this thread is to match up donors with Hosts and have the process go as smoothly as possible.

If you are a prospective donor: Please list the items you would be willing to donate here in this thread. Athlon XP CPU's are the most critical need.

If you are currently Hosting one of the rigs listed above: Please research the capability of the current MB in the rig you are Hosting. We need to identify which computers can immediately benefit from a simple CPU upgrade.

:smokin:

As I said before, this isn't going to stop us from offering new rigs to new Hosts - we just want to bring the earlier rigs up to date with better Folding power. :D

:smokin:

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Hey Prof I plan to upgrade SMx33 to the highest CPU I can get for the socket, I can hand down the 2100+XP when that happens in the near future.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    w00t for Sledge! :celebrate
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Actually lets just say I have the CPU available as of Now! just let me know who to send it to :) MT goat better watch his back as the new CPU in SMx33 will be pumping & chewing Wu's for lunch!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Sledge, if the motherboard you got is the GA-7DX that I donated, I think the max cpu it can handle is a TBred B - 266FSB is its limit, IIRC. I don't know how it might take to a Barton upgrade, so tread carefully!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Prof, SM4 is the *last* rig on that list that needs an upgrade. Let more "needy" rigs get theirs first.
    edited March 2006
    Kwitko wrote:
    Prof, SM4 is the *last* rig on that list that needs an upgrade. Let more "needy" rigs get theirs first.
    That's mighty generous of you, buddy. :)

The plan is to work our way up from the lowest speed CPU's while best matching donations to existing MB's. Like GHoosdum mentioned about the Gigabyte board, if something comes in that won't work in one system we'll just go right on up the line until we find a place where it will.

Of course, if we get some new MB's to go along with the CPU's we'll have it made. :woowoo:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2006
    I would say take all of the XP machines off the list until all of the Tbirds get upgrades first. They dont have SSE and suffer the most. Just a suggestion for maximum upgradability.
  • edited March 2006
    Marc's right prof. Plus, the 2 P3 rigs will be harder and more expensive to upgrade too, since slot 1/socket 370 is an EOL platform. And I know for a fact that SM13 is already at the end of it's upgrade cycle as it is presently running a processor that is much faster than it was originally designed for.
    edited March 2006
    Yep. I've mentioned that "For the two PIII rigs and a couple of others with MB limitations it's going to take a bit more" and that "The plan is to work our way up from the lowest speed CPU's while best matching donations to existing MB's". However, we don't intend to hold up an upgrade for one of the better rigs if it can be done quickly and efficiently.

I'd be willing to bet that a great many of you are like me in that when you upgrade your main rig you also see a trickle-down effect with other computers, possibly including those of family and friends. When I went 64-Bit last year one of my nephews got my old TBird 1200 rig. When I built my daughter a nice system a while back another nephew got her old parts for a rig of his own.

This is just an example, but lets take Sledge's offer of the 2100+ in SM33. If we can send that to the Host of one of the 1600+ rigs we get an immediate 38% boost. If someone donates an older MB capable of handling a 1600+ we can send them both to rejuvenate one of the PIII rigs. Etc, etc, etc.

This is purely hypothetical at this point - it's really going to depend on what the team donates.

One thing I'd like to mention is that since many of the older rigs use SDRAM (not DDR), a MB donation that could handle a decent XP+ CPU and the old-school RAM would be great. Something like the vaunted ECS K7S5A which can handle both would be terrific. :D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2006
    I mean send the 2100+ to the slowest computer that can handle the FSB. Why stop at 38% when you can get like 50%.:D
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I'm not looking to be first for an upgrade, but SM5 actually has a Duron 1100 in it. I don't know if anyone remembers, but it had a lot of issues at one point that ended up frying the first mobo, PSU, and processor. I replaced the processor with a Duron I had around at the time, and found a PSU that seems to have been running strong. The mobo was replaced by Straight_Man.

Anyway, just wanted to get your list right. I thought it was known. Probably my fault again. Sorry, guys.
    edited March 2006
    Cyclonite, will you research your MB and find out what is the highest clock speed CPU it can handle? (You might check for BIOS updates to allow for more than it currently supports.) What chipset is on the board?

Help is on the way. :cool:
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I'll let you know as soon as I can. Thanks. =)

//Edit: Okay, here's the motherboard. It's an MSI KT4VL.

Looks like it will support any AXP processor up to a 333 FSB.
    edited March 2006
    If you send me a PM with your mailing address I'll get something much better headed your way. :csimon:
  • edited March 2006
    I wouldn't be suprised if some of those AXPs were good OCers. I got mine up to 2.3 GHz without much trouble at all.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited March 2006
    Mudd would no more about IC13 than me. I know that he did already upgrade it to the PIII that it is running now. I'm pretty sure the old compaq can't take anything else though :(
    edited March 2006
    Clutch, are all the other parts from the SMx Project page still accurate?

We're going to see that IC13_BartWilliams turns into "Lucky Thirteen". :ninja:
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited March 2006
    Yeah everything is still the same.
    edited March 2006
    Let me go through the parts bin and see what we can do for you. Looks like it's going to need at least a CPU & MB, and possibly some RAM, too.

We'll get 'er juiced up. :rockon:
    edited March 2006
    We have a tentative offer of a Celeron 2.0GHz which is currently located in the UK. If someone has an old Socket 478 MB they could spare we could boost one of our older UK rigs to a much nicer level.

Anyone? :)
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited March 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    We have a tentative offer of a Celeron 2.0GHz which is currently located in the UK. If someone has an old Socket 478 MB they could spare we could boost one of our older UK rigs to a much nicer level.

Sorry can't help here, no S478 boards in the spare's bin.

We need to discuss at some point what we can do for SM12, I have a number choices of things I could contribute to upgrade her. i.e one of the following.

1 x Athlon XP1700 T'bred
    or
    AsRock K7S8XE (Socket A)
    or
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe (Socket A)
    or
    Epox 9NDA3 (S939)

I dont have a spare S939 cpu so if that option was chosen we'd be needing a big contribution.

Regards

Jim
    edited March 2006
    Jimborae, it sounds like all you'd need to put the parts you have together into a better rig would be some DDR memory to replace the PC100 stuff currently in SM12, plus maybe a video card if the one it has now isn't compatible. (It's an old AGP card which may not work in an 8X/4X AGP slot.) That would bump it from 1GHz to a 1700+. You could re-use the case, PSU, HD, etc.

Did I figure that right? :)
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2006
    profdlp wrote:

Prof, you have PM.
  • edited March 2006
    I still say there's a fair bet that those 1600/1700+ CPUs could be overclocked past the 2 GHz range. Wouldn't this be a cheaper and faster plan than replacing the hardware?
    edited March 2006
    It really all depends. A lot of the 1600+ and 1700+ chips that were donated originally were Palomino cores. I'm doubting that they'd OC very well at all. I think we should look into the possibility of OCing any TBred cores that may be out there, though.
    edited March 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Jimborae, it sounds like all you'd need to put the parts you have together into a better rig would be some DDR memory to replace the PC100 stuff currently in SM12, plus maybe a video card if the one it has now isn't compatible. (It's an old AGP card which may not work in an 8X/4X AGP slot.) That would bump it from 1GHz to a 1700+. You could re-use the case, PSU, HD, etc.

Did I figure that right? :)

Hi Prof,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, um no you didn't figure it right and I'm going to sound a bit harsh here but there is a limit to the hit my parts bin can take. I can only afford to donate one of those on list having previously donated :

Ram
    2X hard drives
    Alpha Pal 8045
    1.2Ghz Athlon Thunderbird

Also SM12 is currently residing in one of my cases as I never got the money to buy one.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Jimborae wrote:
    ... there is a limit to the hit my parts bin can take. I can only afford to donate one of those on list having previously donated :

Ram
    2X hard drives
    Alpha Pal 8045
    1.2Ghz Athlon Thunderbird

Also SM12 is currently residing in one of my cases as I never got the money to buy one.
    I think we can correct several of these issues... We can send you a new case and everything else that is required to make SM12 ROCK. We did not intend to put you in a pickle. We asked if anyone in the UK had anything they could donate.

Hosts are responsible to keep the SMx Rig running sound. Upgrading is not a requirement. If you CAN donate, that's cool, but not necessary. We can help get the SMx rig flying... No worries.... we're here to help.:headbange
    edited March 2006
    Q speaketh the truth. You're not responsible for feeding parts to a broken rig, that's what the team is for.
    edited March 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Q speaketh the truth. You're not responsible for feeding parts to a broken rig, that's what the team is for.

True, but I am part of the team & a generous chappy by nature so it was easier for me donate what I could rather than get parts shipped from USA. ;)
    edited March 2006
    Jimborae, sorry if I misread your original post. I'm sending you a PM so we can coordinate adding a little more oomph to this rig.

As for the case, someone will be in touch with you soon. That was just an oversight on our part.

SM12 will be packing a little more muscle soon. :ninja: