Forums Unstable

edited March 2006 in Community
Whenever I login it takes forever for the forums to load and when I try to see the new posts I get time-outs. Would someone please go kick the server or something?

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    We're experiencing the Slashdot Effect from GooD's article about his homebuilt wireless tower. The huge influx of traffic has effectively crippled the server.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited March 2006
    wow, i knew goods artilce was good.. but hot diggity damn!!
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2006
    Guess that must be it. It has been happening for a few days, thinking it might have been my end. Still happens, even with very few people logged in. (Members & Guests).
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Ironically, because the forums are so slow due to the massive amount of people reading the article, there are fewer guests and members on the forums. All of the traffic is on the 'front page' (the cms system that contains the articles/guides/reviews, etc.) - since the forums are basically unusable, people aren't bothering to use them, thus the lower than normal traffic numbers.

Hang in there, it'll die down in a day - you know how the internet's attention span is :)
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited March 2006
    But i don't want to wait!! ok.....fine!!
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2006
    Yeah Ive noticed its been freakin slow too. Last night and again tonight still.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2006
    Hrmm I saw that article and wanted to click on it but it took for ever... I gave up. Took me about 5 minutes to get here. Any idea when things speed back up again?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Starting to get back to normal here :)
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited March 2006
    wow!! i can actually post a message now!! amazing!!

;)
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2006
    Well it's getting better on my end now but still on the slow side but SM is worth it.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited March 2006
    I can't believe my article cause this kind of hit flow :eek:

Im almost feeling sorry now :o

A chance SM is getting back on his feet now :thumbsup: This kind of trafic can't last more than 2 days. Its still slow about now but at least its usable :p
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    m almost feeling sorry now
    Sorry? You should feel very good. You're a minor celebrity! :celebrate
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Yep everybody at some time or other gets 15 minutes of fame.
    Yours has lasted 3 friggin days :D

I stopped trying to log onto SM yesterday afternoon. Things are slowly starting to normalize.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Winga wrote:
    Yep everybody at some time or other gets 15 minutes of fame.
    Yours has lasted 3 friggin days :D ...
    ;D;D;D
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2006
    Shorty wrote:
    Starting to get back to normal here :)

We are 8 hrs ahead of you and it's still not much better yet, sonny.:wave:
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2006
    GooD wrote:
    I can't believe my article cause this kind of hit flow :eek:

Im almost feeling sorry now :o

A chance SM is getting back on his feet now :thumbsup: This kind of trafic can't last more than 2 days. Its still slow about now but at least its usable :p

Awsome job man, It really shows just how big the demand for hispeed internet is needed in rural areas. One q though with your new fame do you have any Geek girl groupies?
    edited March 2006
    I said almost :D

I wonder how many people read the article at this time... im sure i will fall from my chair if i could see the numbers hah

It seems like determination can makes temporary (3 days... :eek: ) minor celebrity after all :buck:

Big thankx to all of you who ask me to make this article, and big thankx to Keebler for taking the time to put my article at a higher quality level. You guys are awesome :cheers:

-If you can't do it, try harder... If you still can't do it, come to Short-Media and we will help ;D
    edited March 2006
    Komete wrote:
    Awsome job man, It really shows just how big the demand for hispeed internet is needed in rural areas. One q though with your new fame do you have any Geek girl groupies?

;D;D;D

If i EVER get a pv of a girl because i've build a tower, THIS WOULD BE SO FUNNY hahah i would laugh about it for a week im sure.

But since im a minor celebrity about now, everything is possible :D

So every girls around here, im waiting for you

:kneel:

LoL
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited March 2006
    The forums and server in general are still very sluggish for me. I browse the forums nearly every day and ever since the /. hit, it's been slow. Practically unreachable on the day of the /. post, but it's still very slow even today. Every other website and/or forum I visit is normal.
    Pinging short-media.com [209.124.56.70] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.124.56.70: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=54
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 209.124.56.70: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=54
    Reply from 209.124.56.70: bytes=32 time=81ms TTL=54
    Reply from 209.124.56.70: bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=54
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 209.124.56.70:
    Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 7, Lost = 3 (30% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 80ms, Maximum = 87ms, Average = 81ms

The problems start here:
    9 216 ms 299 ms 265 ms 216.234.96.1
    10 90 ms 85 ms 81 ms 216.234.104.162
    11 81 ms * 79 ms 209.124.56.70
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    GooD your article on getting faster internet slowed My Fiber internet right into dial-up status, I feel robbed!
    edited March 2006
    He wanted all of us to feel his pain :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Do you think a 60' tower would get me line-of-sight from (The Holy City Of) Westlake to Sarcnet? I could stick a dish at the top and you could send me a feed via microwave. ;D
    edited March 2006
    He wanted all of us to feel his pain :D

Hahahah Its funny how an article on 'how i get highspeed to get rid of 56k ' can put everyone to feel how it feels again to be on 56k. Now just try to live with that for 9 years, and you will want to shoot yourself if you don't have more speed :p

Man my article is now online since a week and its still slow :scratch:

Maybe the hosting server need a little reboot ? lol
    profldp wrote:
    Do you think a 60' tower would get me line-of-sight from (The Holy City Of) Westlake to Sarcnet? I could stick a dish at the top and you could send me a feed via microwave.

Hahah, i don't think it is possible :( Well, with some determination we could find a solution if you want to ;) Do you have a lot of spare money ? :buck:

;D
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    whenever Im waiting on a page to finish loading it always seems to be hanging on peoples sigs an/or teamshort-media.com. WTF?

.............and yes, I have been feeling GooDs pain!!!!! LOL
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    It's not really hanging on the sigs. It's probably just taking longer because teamshort-media.com is on the same server as this site, and everything on it is slow. Nothing changed with the sigs, so there shouldn't be a new issue with them. :)
    edited March 2006
    GooD wrote:
    Now just try to live with that for 9 years, and you will want to shoot yourself if you don't have more speed :p

Try going form 56K to 15MB than back to 56K for a few days. It is like going from radio to Color TV back to Radio! I am having a panic attack here!
  • edited March 2006
    ive had to deal with dial-up up until a few months ago when Verizon DSL got real cheap. still is a little slow...but its getting back to normal.

bikerboy
    edited March 2006
    Site should be back to normal now. There was a problem with a switch at the datacenter.
    edited March 2006
    OMG the site is as snappy as ever!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    And all the people said, "AMEN".