Hi!

CuteyPie22CuteyPie22 Lansing, MI
edited October 2003 in Folding@Home
Hi!

I have been reading about the folding@home project and i was wondering if you guys could help me set it up on my computer.

I went to the folding site at distributedfolding.org, and i want to fold for team 93, but i don't see anywhere to put in the team that i want to fold for.

can anybody help a girl out?!?!?! :)

Comments

• BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    Hey! Another fem folder! :D

I'm sure the guys will be here shortly (no pun intended Shorty.. ;) )

First, are you using the graphical or console version of F@H?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    First, welcome to the forums!

Second, THANK YOU FOR JOINING OUR TEAM!

One major problem that I see right off the bat is that you may be confused about which folding project we fold for. We don't have a distributedfolding team - that's a seperate project from stanford's Folding@Home project (folding.stanford.edu).

I would suggest this thread - it will help you get started.

Thanks again!
  • CuteyPie22CuteyPie22 Lansing, MI
    edited October 2003
    Thank you :)

I was not totally sure what it was all about.

I will go and have a look at that thread :)

Hi BDR!, i think its the pretty one with the cog by the clock :) does that help?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Its best to run the console as it wastes less resources, so you can download that from the download page on http://folding.stanford.edu.

Then when you have done that, make a folder somewhere, such as C:\Program Files and call it FAH.

Then just move the file into there.

Right click drag the icon onto your desktop and select "Create Shortcut".

Now right click the Icon and select `Properties`.

Now you should see the command line that says something like `C:\Program Files\FAH\console.exe`. Now at the very end put -config, so it should look something like this -

"C:\Program Files\FAH\Console.exe" -config

Now ok that box and run the shortcut, and it should ask you for some info (folding name, Team, etc etc). For the machine number just select 1 and for the question like Proxy, you can just press enter without entering anything.

Now it should start folding. Without closing the console you can now go back into the shortcut and remove the -config from the end and ok that box again, and that is your name and team sorted out.

Now depending on your processor we may be able to add a -forceasm flag to the end of that and that will give you a speed boost, but we need to know what processor you have first....

NS
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Hi Cuteypie22 and a huge welcome!

First of all, if you haven´t downloaded the client, right-click on THIS and "save as" in a directory of your choice, but i suggest that you create a directory called "C:\Folding" and save it there.

When it is downloaded, right-click on that file and create a shortcut of it and place it in the same directory.

Then right-click on that shortcut and choose properties. In the target, edit the line so that it looks like "C:\Folding\Folding@home3.25-beta.EXE -advmethods -local -forceasm" (without the quotes). That will enable some extra features from your cpu which will make it fold a little faster but we can talk about that later.

When that line is saved and edited, copy or cut that shortcut to the startup directory of your pc so that your pc starts with F@H.

Then just doubleclick on that shortcut to start it all. It will ask you for a name (enter your user-name), teamnumber (93), ask before fetching/sending work? (no), use internet explorer settings? (i always choose yes here), change advanced options? (yes), Core type? (no-pref), Core Priority? (idle), Cpu-usage? (100), Disable highly optimized assembly code? (no), Ignore deadline information? (no), Machine ID? (1)

Thats it and you should now have a fully optimized folding client and fold for team 93.

Let me know if what i just wrote doesn´t make any sense at all.

Regards,

Marcus
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    Is anybody running Graphical that can post some screen shots for our newest fem folder?

I'm running Console on all mine.
    edited October 2003
    folding.jpg

folding-grafisch.jpg

winfah_install13.gif

NS
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    Here's a good tweaks page.

If you scroll down to 2c, it gives you directions on configuring your set up. Sorry it doesn't show the exact screen, but it should point you in the right direction.

Just remember it's team 93 :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Welcome to folding, and welcome to the forums.
    Other than the occasional sillyness this is a great place to get tech support.
    Hope to see you turning in work soon.
  • edited October 2003
    welcome
    :fold::D
    now we need a doggie smiley

:):( :o :D;):p:cool::rolleyes::mad::eek::confused: :rolleyes2 :hrm::eek2:
    :banghead: :scratch: :confused2 :mullet::doh::crazy::buck: :bawling: :O :mad2: :respect: :thumbup :shakehead :thumbsdow
    :thumbsup::wtf::wave::cool2::fold::ninja::eek3:;D :sad2: :tongue::vimp::werr::beer::cheers:
    :birthday: :halfcog: :bigggrin: :grumble::hair::hiding: :wow2: :wow: :mean::range::topic::mouldy::nudge::aol:
    :celebrate :rarr::rockon::sawed: :smiles: :type: :wink::zombie: :ukflag: :usflag: :kneel: :canflag: :skeptic: :woowoo:
    :rant: :Rocker: :screwed: :bs: :Pwned: :clap:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    The sight of all those smilies almost gave me a seizure! :eek2:

Welcome CuteyPie22! :wave:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    OMG we have that many smilies????

Welcome to the team CuteyPie.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I didn't even know we had a screwdriver smiley :confused:
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Welcome to our crazy wack fold CuteyPie! :fold:
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited October 2003
    Welcome to the team
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited October 2003
    Welcome!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    omg hi2u! :wave:
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    I demanded the screwdriver smiley after someone said something to the effect of "haha you're screwed" in a thread i started in the emergency help forum... :D

Anyhow, I don't think there's anything I can add to what's already been posted on how to set folding @ home up atm... so, just let us know if you've got any more questions
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited October 2003
    Actually Geeky, that was me. http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3609&highlight=youre+screwed

BTW, Welcome aboard, CutiePie.
    If you're a CutiePie you should upload some pics so we can all drool. ;D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Welcome to our crazy wack fold CuteyPie!

My sentiments exactly... especially after viewing Seversphere's wack-job post! Holy cow.

What's wrong, Seversphere - slow day?

;D;D
  • edited October 2003
    I didn't want to use the usual fish pun - :)
    edited October 2003
    How do you post smilies that aren't organic to this site?
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited October 2003
    use the [ IMG ] tag and link to the url of the image.
    edited October 2003
    Thanks
    edited October 2003
  • edited October 2003
    I think that was too many animated gifs for this dual p3-450 at work - had to reboot
    edited October 2003
    Wow you guys thanks for all the help. i feel like such an idiot. i did some reading and now it seems so simple to me.. duh!

anyways, i turned in my first work unit today, so from what i've seen, i have to wait for it to be recognized? then i'll do my folding sig.

you boys are so helpful! :kiss:
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited October 2003
    welcome to the team cuteypie!
    Congrats on your first completed unit! Onwards to many many more!
    :fold:
    edited October 2003
    i turned in my first work unit today, so from what i've seen, i have to wait for it to be recognized?

the onset of addiction :eek:
    edited October 2003
    lol @ Leonardo. i can easily see how this can become an addiction ;)

thanks for all the help. i can't offer much (1.3 GHz) but from what i've read, that's okay :)