Reasonable High-End System?

13»

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited April 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Any new news Qeldroma? How is 2.8 treating ya? :D

Actually, 2.75. I've had a busy week, so I haven't had much time to play with it except get it stable.

2.8 eventually blue-screened. I backed down to 2.75 and Prime95 would not run stable. I upped the voltage to 1.46. 2.8 would not run Prime95 stable, but 2.75 is now Prime stable and has had no problems (so far- 2 days with FAH running full).

Key Settings: Divider 3:2, CPU 2750MHz (Memory 183.3), Vcore 1.46V
    Mobo Temp: 95F
    CPU Idle Stats: ? / ?
    CPU Loaded Stats: 248 Watts / 129F

That .05V increase jumped the power consumption up 15 Watts and put me in your CPU high temperature zone (55C). However, understand that the CPU ambient is pretty warm (95F/35C) so my temperature delta is 20C (which is the real measure of HSF performance)- a controllable condition. Until I can put the PC in a cooler clime, I'm content with its current performance.

My thought at this point is to now go after memory and HT. But what I will say is- this combo of mobo, HSF and CPU- a 37.5% increase in performance with a 35 Watt jump in power is not bad. If you look at it that I'm now getting 3 times the processor power for 25 Watts more than my old Barton- I'd say this was a pretty good deal. In honesty, with the right conditions- I think 2850MHz is well within reach for this stepping with just air.

However, more is to be done. My general user experience (probably because of memory and HT) is not any better- actually in some areas worse than the Barton. I'm sure it's in tuning the BIOS settings.

However, I'm closely watching another stat right now- this thing is folding dynamite!!! It's like I almost have two FX57s on the same chip. All at the expense of a boutique HSF, my CPU warranty, and maybe ?xx? months of this proc's life. So far- I'd say it was worth it.

LL, mt- Should this now go to a new thread in the Performance Tweaking area?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    2.75 is pretty awesome Qel! :D The power consumption is pretty amazing compared to a single Barton as well! I'm sure that X1900 is going to pull a fair bit of juice at full load though. I'd like to see graphics cards start moving in the same direction and pace as CPUs. Apparently ATI will be releasing a 90nm version of the R580 soon, and power consumption should be greatly reduced.

Definitely feel free to create a new thread in Performance Tweaking.. Mudd and I can give you a hand tweaking your memory there :)