• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Thanks..
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited April 2006
    Okay,

I ordered the X1900 AIW board. Many reasons here-

- functionality for video editting
    - NOT ever doing Crossfire (the AIW doesn't do this). I'm not a big gamer.
    - Current price.
    - Overclockability
    - Didn't seem to be a lot of reasonable objection in the reviews or here.

The overclockability of this card's GPU is something I suspected. It's a reduced X1900XT (80/70% clocked with half the memory). I think that OCing to XT levels (625/725) is not really doable because of the pretty unique HSF- and probably other gotchas on the card. The 40%+ memory OC was really the big surprise. It looks like I might be able to get 90% of XT performance and have the AIW/X1900 goodies.

At any rate- with all the things going on this year to video edit- I'm beginning to feel like a kid again! :thumbsup:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Woot.. looks to be a sweet card Qeldroma! Enjoy it :thumbsup:
    edited April 2006
    Well, I just had a job review with a raise and promotion so, Okay. It's on order with the Opteron 170 ($398 wi S&H) and the A8R32-MVP ($189 wi S&H). I have no idea what lot I got (Newegg is shipping from Industry, but probably an 0609?).

~$1100 (with S&H) total without a lot of bargain shopping or haggling over 2 weeks. I know that's still pretty steep- but I almost paid triple that for my 486DX-33 PC with printer in '93 :shakehead . WOW how things've changed!

At any rate, it looks to be a busy weekend, but I do have a goal-

Try and crank this thing to FX60 performance.

Thanks for all the shared wisdom so far, everyone! It looks like I have a chance at near-leading-edge preformance without the bleeding edge price. And my Folding numbers look to dip for a day or two, then hopefully blast-off!

:thumbsup:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    0608 & 0609 are both good steppings. Some even feel that 0608's are better than most 0550's generally. Go0d luck!
  • edited April 2006
    That's some nice kit you got there :)

Good luck in search of FX-60 speeds, I think the odds are stacked in your favour!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Dab240, welcome to Short-Media. I hope you become active here and find a comfortable, relaxed community.
    edited April 2006
    Greetings and thank you for stopping in. Kick back and wonder a bit. We're a close nit forum.
    edited April 2006
    dab420 wrote:
    That's some nice kit you got there :)

Good luck in search of FX-60 speeds, I think the odds are stacked in your favour!

Thanks! :D

Judging by your rig, looks like you've done quite a beast too! Well, you should be right at home here with this mob of OC addicts! :thumbsup:

Welcome!
  • edited April 2006
    Thanks for the warm welcome kids :)

I found my way here after reading the s754/939 Overclocking article back when I first got this motherboard, that was a great article, I've linked it several times for other people since. Figured I should give the forums a peek :)
    edited April 2006
    dab420 wrote:

I found my way here after reading the s754/939 Overclocking article back when I first got this motherboard, that was a great article, I've linked it several times for other people since. Figured I should give the forums a peek :)

Glad you liked the article dab420! Thanks for spreading the word too.. and Welcome to Short-Media :cheers:
    edited April 2006
    dab420 wrote:

Welcome!
    Hang out a bit ...
    take your shoes off!:)
    edited April 2006
    Yay! All the parts are in. Now, I must confess that I've had stuff on the shelf to round-out this build:

Zalman CNPS9500 HSF ($53)
    Antec 550W power supply ($94)
    Watts-Up power meter. ?

And another critical component that I shall leave to the astute eye to find.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19725&stc=1&d=1144426088

The Zalman I've had a while, but the 550W Antec is something I debated, but finally decided (based on mtgoat's advice) to bring into play and migrate my current 480W with the Barton. These add another $150 to the cost.

Oh, yes, I guessed right- it's a 0609.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19724&stc=1&d=1144426088

The job involves moving my equivalent Barton system components (silver case) into what shall be my daughter's rig (black case), install my upgrade components and get both systems going before I really crank. Both rigs will finally be set-up for folding- (I'll let my daughter do as she wishes with hers, but I plan to leave the light on the Opty 24/7).

At some point, I'd like to create another thread in tweak & perf area. The power meter is going to play a big role in my OC as I plan to measure & document each significant benchmark.

(Right now I am :rarr: . Who says being a kid has to stop in the 50's?) :thumbsup:
    edited April 2006
    WOW.. seeing all that gear on the table just brings a smile to my face.. Enjoy it Qeldorma! :cheers:

The bottle of MGD fits right in too!
    edited April 2006
    OOOOOOOooooooo.... Now I REALLY want to splurge....

Piper doesn't NEED diapers or food, does she? That will save a few dollars....

Heck I don't need to eat either... Grass has nutritional value, right?

I can rent out space in my house for people to sleep.... that's a few dollars....

Looks good Qeldroma :thumbsup:
    edited April 2006
    Well, it's up and running- and I'm posting from basically my new machine.

Rather than do a complete fresh reformat and install, I transplanted my drives. After doing a thorough backup- I built up the system and fired it up. I was surprised at how well everything took. My only real hassle was re-activating Windows XP.

Still a lot of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers- XP handled the majority of the systems and the install disks and website updates did the rest. I had a nagging BSOD- MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS STOP: 0x00000044(xxxxx,0x00000D62,0x00000000,0x00000000) that almost had me start over. Basically a IO complete request is made after an IRP is already done- so I had to figure out which IRP was having the event. I started checking all of the devices, then remembered I hadn't run Windows Update.

It was a case of where the Hardware, Optional downloads were not so optional- a SATA controller update and a Powerware WinDriver (USB and PCI) update. No more BSODs.

Sandra is now showing a healthy and properly operating Opteron 170 and OCZ Plats. Oblivion is breathtaking- and I think there may be something to this AVIVO stuff- my videos do seem to look better than they did on the 850XT. >Sigh< -sorry it has to be only qualitative.

Surprisingly, I think what I'm really pleased with is the power consumption. Here are some numbers I took at STOCK settings:

OLD Barton 3000+ Athalon XP, A7N8X Deluxe mobo, 2x512MB Kingston 3200 2-3-3-6, Radeon 9800ProAIW 128MB:

Idle: 188 Watts
    Loaded 1 instance of FAH: 221 Watts:

Current Opteron 170, A8R32-MVP Deluxe, 2x1GB OCZ Plats 3200 2-3-2-5, Radeon X1900AIW 256MB:

Idle: 156 Watts
    Loaded 1 instance of FAH: 191 Watts.

Note that these setups used the same of everything else. !!!YES!!! :thumbsup:

I'm letting it finish the Gromacs it's working on before I dual it and really beat it up- but right now it's more efficient and quieter- I'm pretty pleased with it.

And the BLING! The Zalman has a K-Mart Specials Light on it!

My case is running about 96F and the CPU is 116F with the single FAH running. It looks like it does split the job over cores if alone- here're pictures- Old setup, New setup (who can spot the error we fixed?), and the single FAH instance.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19746&stc=1&d=1144554083

attachment.php?attachmentid=19747&stc=1&d=1144554083

attachment.php?attachmentid=19745&stc=1&d=1144554083
    edited April 2006
    wow looks sweet!

Did you write down the stepping?
    edited April 2006
    You mean this?

CCB1E 0609FPAW ?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Looks mighty fine! I knew there would be less of a draw but am amazed at how much less power it sucks down compared to the Barton system.

Was the other critical component on the table the AS-5 or the new copy of XP? It surely wasn't the MGD. ;)
    edited April 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    Was the other critical component on the table the AS-5 or the new copy of XP? It surely wasn't the MGD. ;)

Actually, it was the MGD. I'm using it as my water cooling fluid- it has a decent head. :D
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited April 2006
    I'm bookmarking this thread for all the information. You guys are great! :thumbsup:

Just lurking...
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Qeldroma wrote:
    Actually, it was the MGD. I'm using it as my water cooling fluid- it has a decent head. :D
    Ohhh the potential of that line. But I'm going to keep it clean and not go with it. :cool2:
    edited April 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    Ohhh the potential of that line. But I'm going to keep it clean and not go with it. :cool2:

;D Well ... you're still a dirty old goat. :vimp:
    Qeldroma wrote:
    At any rate, it looks to be a busy weekend, but I do have a goal-

Try and crank this thing to FX60 performance.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19755&stc=1&d=1144638665

:D:cheers::D

Prime stable after quite a beating- seems ready to do more and am willing to accept OC advice from here- thanks, all! :thumbsup:
    edited April 2006
    Qeldroma wrote:
    You mean this?

CCB1E 0609FPAW ?
    I can show you a thread that shows that stepping to be better than 0550 ...or I can offer you a trade??? :thumbsup:
    edited April 2006
    Looking good Qeldorma! With only 1.4V too :)

Got any more in it? :D
    edited April 2006
    csimon: Thank you for all you're imparted wisdom and input- you're always :csimon: And I don't know what else to tell you but: I got it at Newegg.

lemonlime: Your write-up has really helped out. And yeah- I'm going to see where this one is going to go.

Please remember that this is going to be my main rig- AND my main Folding rig. As I OC, my first rule became: CPU is king, memory is bling. So I gulped and took the 3:2 divider plunge- just so I could find the CPU limit without having to worry about memory and timings. It also makes a nice divisor. Here's what I've done so far:

Key Settings: Divider 6:5, CPU 2400MHz (Multiplier is always 10)
    Mobo Temp: 93F
    CPU Idle Stats: 164 Watts / 104F
    CPU Loaded Stats: 225 Watts / 120F

Key Settings: Divider 3:2, CPU 2600MHz (Memory 173)
    Mobo Temp: 96F
    CPU Idle Stats: 163 Watts / 109F
    CPU Loaded Stats: 235 Watts / 127F

Next one is interesting. I ran the 2600 case again to be sure!

Key Settings: Divider 3:2, CPU 2700MHz (Memory 180)
    Mobo Temp: 95F
    CPU Idle Stats: 163 Watts / 107F
    CPU Loaded Stats: 232 Watts / 125F

Here is where I'm at now:

attachment.php?attachmentid=19760&stc=1&d=1144722434

My power consumption at these settings is 235 Watts.

This guys is making a dandy folder. It's outputting about 3 times what my Barton was! I hope I can hold this!

attachment.php?attachmentid=19759&stc=1&d=1144720212

This OCing is a lot of effort and time so sorry if I don't get in more often. I just hope this is all worthwhile for not just me.

Again, thanks all!
    edited April 2006
    Is overvolting turned on? You've got one hell of a clocker there Q!:thumbsup:
    edited April 2006
    csimon wrote:
    Is overvolting turned on? You've got one hell of a clocker there Q!:thumbsup:

Thanks!

Vcore Voltage is set to 1.4
    Vcore Over-Voltage is set to Auto

Erm, it's a been weird with the BIOS. It's like some settings take off on their own. I have not manually fixed a single voltage :? I've just played with the clock, the divider, and some of the memory timings once when I tried to force 6:5 to CPU 2600 (black screened). 3:2 has been easiest to work with so far.

PS: So far so good. Going to let it go 2800 overnight-

Prayer does work ....
    edited April 2006
    I know ...it took me awhile to figure it out too.
    What's happening is sometimes when overclocking if you leave certain features set to "auto" the system will try to preserve itself with conservative "manual" settings. Once this happens these settings will stay unless you reset them manually or by resetting the bios. You can override this by adjusting things manually.
    Most of my problems occured because of these settings ...since I move up gradually the conservative settings became overbearing as I moved too far up. I found much better stability when I set those things manually.

Make sense?
    edited April 2006
    Any new news Qeldroma? How is 2.8 treating ya? :D