Reasonable High-End System?

QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I've been scouting around to put together the highest end system I can for a reasonable price. Here is what I've come up with on the 4 core components i'm focusing on:

CPU: AMD Opteron Denmark core 170 (purchased 4/2- $398 wi S&H)
Motherboard: Did NOT get the MSI K8N Diamond
but the ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe (purchased 4/3- $189 wi S&H)
Memory: 2x1GB OCZ PC3200 Platinum (purchased 3/24- $160 wi S&H)
Video Card: ATI X1900 AIW (purchased 4/2- $365 wi S&H)

Following in footsteps of Mr. primesuspect, I'm taking advantage of a mature technology that is starting to have pre-obselescent bargains. I thought it would also give this community a chance to see this combination in action. You should be aware that I am NOT ever planning on dual video cards.

This will be my first PCIe AMD64 experience. I'm planning to OC BOTH the CPU and video card- and both look very promising to acheive near-premium technology for a reasonable $. I MAY push the limit on the CPU, but I'll be more conservative on the video since I don't plan to update the HSF or unnecessarily risk it. In either case, I plan to back off for best power efficiency (stock voltages) and stability.

Unlike Mr. primesuspect, I do not have NEAR the same amount of time I can dedicate to this forum, but I'll try to be responsive as possible.

As mentioned- the memory is a done deal- but I'd appreciate any feedback about the rest of it.

Thanks all. :)

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    but I would consider an Asus board. I recently played with an Asus A8N SLI Premium and it was sooooo easy it was unreal. then again I have been playing with MY DFI boards for about a year now. I also mention this because Asus A64 boards have a better track record for OC'ing than the MSI A64 boards. Also buy the best PSU you can. I am currently looking at the SILVERSTONE SST-ST60F ATX 600W Power Supply for my next project.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited March 2006
    Like mtgoat said, I'm having a hellofatime oc'ing on my MSI k8nf4.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Is the jury still out on the Asus A8N vs. DFI LanParty SLI-xx shooutout? Everything I read seems to say "Yeah, do whatever."
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2006
    Wow, thanks on the mobo. I'll put the ASUS on the list-

This one I assume :)

I'm also seriously considering the RD580 board- but it's got to sink about another $20 before I'll look at it. The one you've got looks great. I've heard good stuff about DFI too- but I'm not sure how it fares as a general purpose/easy to use board.

I'm about as general purpose a user as you will find.

o I fold.
    o I do some professional work- occassionally intensive computations that would bring any PC to its knees.
    o I game somewhat.
    o Others in my family use it too.
    o Home stuff
    o Amateur video editting- sports mostly.

It's a BUSY PC so I thought this would be a good balance and stable too. FYI- I plan on using my 74GB Raptor (boot) and 400GB Caviar as my drives.

Again, thanks :thumbsup:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    My basic conclusion is that the Asus you kinked is pretty much parallel with my board, the DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR as far as performance and features. The DFI is a lot more work to get "tuned Up" but once there is as solid as a rock. The Asus is a breeze all the way through and just as steady.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    but I would consider an Asus board.
    It's been a long time since I've been AMD overlcocking, but I would stay away from MSI if you want to overclock. If you are just interested in a rock stable system with lots of motherboard features, then I don't think a I could give a better recommendation than for MSI.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited March 2006
    yea I'd go with ASUS if I were you, I've been hearing great things about their new mobos. I have a k8v se deluxe (socket 754) and it is rock stable. Never had any problems with it, and my 3200+ is OC'd to 2.45 and running extremely stable. I'm not trying to say MSI is bad, but from whats out right now, I think ASUS is on top.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I have an MSI board myself, and while it does offer some overclocking potential, it's not great with my 3200+ Venice. But as Leo said, they're amazingly stable and it was pretty idiot proof as far as setup and getting everything rolling.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited March 2006
    You didn't say that you'll be o/c'ing, so if you wanted to i'd say go with the MSI. I've never had a problem with it and its been rock stable for about 8 months.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Asus or DFI ...but I would encourage the RD3200 chipset. Those motherboards should do that video card the best justice IMO.

A8R32-MVP Deluxe
    LanParty UT CFX3200

Also ...pay special attention to the power connectors on the board you choose to match it up to your psu. The Dfi boards (the cfx and expert) have been coming with this 8-pin connector such as this one. The Asus board has the standard 4-pin and the molex connector is eliminated. You can see from the pics on the links above.

Forget about acutally using the crossfire (or sli) for that matter ...most people get these boards for their raw performance. The rest is lagniappe.

Besides ...perhaps the extra slot may come in handy someday soon with the near realease of PPU cards.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    The rest is lagniappe.

Lagniappe is/are (pick one):

1) an expression meaning great joy

2) a Cajun word meaning utter excrement

3) a special layered pasta dish, baked by Cajuns in remote bayou locations

:scratch:
    edited March 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Lagniappe 2) a Cajun word meaning utter excrement
    :scratch:

It loses a little in the translation? ;D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Just today I was thinking... "I need to sell most of my systems and get down to a few smoking systems... but first I need to upgrade to a SMOKING system."

I came up with the following:
    • ASUS A8R-MVP Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire ($95.99)
    • HIS Hightech HX85XTQ256-3TOEN IceQ II Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 ($247.00)
    • Thermaltake W0101RU ATX 12V 2.0 Version 550W Power Supply ($94.99)
    • AMD Opteron 170 Denmark 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor ($394.00)
    • Thermaltake Big Typhoon CL-P0114 120mm Cooling Fan with Heatsink ($54.99)
    • Memory???
    TOTAL $886.97

I've read that you can get PC4000 and that leaves more room to overclock? Is that true?
  • edited March 2006
    Hey man, If your looking for some really high end memory im selling my ocz gold pc4000

Its two 512 meg sticks. Im looking to get between 120-130 for them. They are in tip top shape and look awesome :D
    edited March 2006
    Q you should really consider the 7800gt or maybe even 7900gt ...they smoke!
    Also ...consider the superflower ttgi 550 psu.
    for ram consider 2gb ...will come in handy when vista rolls around especially.
  • edited March 2006
    Well, the 7800gt is an awesome card, and i myslef use a 450 ttgi super flower modular psu with the 14cm blue led fan. It runs very stable and for the price i couldnt be happier. However on the whole vista thing, ive beta'd it and i wasnt all that impressed. Sure it looked nicer, but it crashed just as much and was even slower than xp

-aspire
    edited March 2006
    If I go with the 7800, wouldn't it be better to switch to a MB that can do SLI instead of Cross Fire? As in the board I have listed about is for ATI Crossfire.

I see that you, csimon, have the ATI board and the 7800... do you see any problems with cross branding?
    edited March 2006
    no problems whatsoever. There are a few features in the bios that really only affect Ati cards ...I leave them disabled to avoid issues. These cards don't benefit from them anyway and really neither do the older Ati cards.
    Unless you go with the high end ati cards you're better off with one of the mid-range nvidia cards speed wise generally speaking.
    eVga also has a hella good warranty policy!
    edited March 2006
    How about my memory question... Is it better to buy PC3200 and overclock it or buy PC4000 and have the overhead?
    edited March 2006
    I prefer the pc4000 but you can get 3200. The 3200 will probably need to be loosened to get high clocks stable and the 4000 can be tightened for the lower clocks. Either way I'd go with tccd if you can help it.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    PSU, i recomend the Seasonic S12-600w, nice, quiet and stable.
    edited March 2006
    Hey all,

Thanks VERY much for the thoughts and discussion. Based on input from here and even in other threads, I did come to a decision-

The ASUS A8R32-MVP (Tech Report Review)

But NOT for all the reasons you might be thinking. Since this is going to be my main machine and main folder...

THIS (Power Consumption)

... is what finally pushed me over the edge. Otherwise I'd be taking the SLI Premium- which BTW is a VERY nice board. But power efficiency is a big issue for me (especially long term as I pay for kids in college, yadda, yadda). I also can't complain about having an external SATA port and 8 USB ports ... I think it is well worth the extra $20-30. However, the only thing that may change things- DFI may release the CFX3200 in time and its IPO looks like about $200 US :vimp:

On the memory issue, Q, I decided on the OCZ 2x1GB 3200 Platinums because I am thinking of using a divider (recommended in another thread) to see how far I can go without going much past stock voltages (that power issue again- plus heat. I live in the Southwest). Yeah, I hope to share my fun in the sun and see where this baby can take us (this could be fun!), but for the long-term, I'm after the biggest bang for my watt- and not necessarily my $ (though this isn't looking bad for that either). I'm thinking like 4/3 and then push the HT. I think this could be fun :thumbsup:

And you all helped! Thanks!

Still debating over the proc hoping prices will change soon. Don't know if a multiplier is worth $100 or 200MHz (X2) is worth $60. Grrrr.
    edited March 2006
    Outpost is selling 2GB PC3200 (400MHz) DDR Dual Channel (2x1gb) CL 2-3-2-5, for $129.99 after rebate.... Is that what you were looking at?
    edited March 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Outpost is selling 2GB PC3200 (400MHz) DDR Dual Channel (2x1gb) CL 2-3-2-5, for $129.99 after rebate.... Is that what you were looking at?

Yep. Those are them (see my link post #1). And that deal is getting sweeter by the day :) .
    edited March 2006
    csimon wrote:
    Either way I'd go with tccd if you can help it.
    OK... so go with the higher rated memory (PC4000) but what does tccd stand for?
    edited March 2006
    tccd is a Samsung chipset. But you might want to check with Mac- I don't know if it comes larger than 512MB sticks?

Here's a link
    edited March 2006
    Well... Looks like Newegg does NOT have any memory that uses TCCD, that I could find anyway.

Here are my selections... which would you choose?

OCZ Gold Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000) Dual Channel Kit $133.41 AR

or

Crucial Technology Ballistix 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000) Dual Channel Kit $125.00

both are CAS 2.5 but the the crucial timing is 2.5-4-4-8 and the OCZ timing 2.5-3-3-8. I assume lower numbers are better...

You know, a nice article on what all these number mean would be nice. I've tried to read up on the timings but nothing I've read really gives a straight forward description of what is good and what is not so good.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    TCCD is Samsung's IC present in OCZ Platinum PC3200 Rev.2 modules, and several others. No 2GB kits I'm afraid. TCCD topped out in 2x512MB varieties. It was quite popular because of DDR600 overclocking possibilities.

QCH: lower timing values are always better so long as you are comparing the same speed. I.e. PC3200 with 2-2-2-5 is faster than PC3200 with 3-3-3-8 timings. It gets more confusing when comparing PC4000 at higher timings than PC3200 at tighter ones. PC3200 at 2-3-2-5 is likely faster than PC4000 at 3-4-4-8 IMO.

With A64's, memory performance depends a lot on the CPU's clock frequency as well. The integrated memory controller runs at the same speed as the CPU, so a 3GHz A64 will have better performing memory than a 2.4GHz A64 (assuming the same sticks).

You are giving me some write-up ideas ;)
    edited March 2006
    Q,

This is my understanding (it's been a while, but I'll give it a go)-

Memory timings are there to tell you how long it takes to access memory.
    The time it takes to do so is often called the delay or latency.

Picture memory as a matrix or spreadsheet with rows and columns and you are looking for a single spot at a specific row and column

Call the time it takes to get to the right row tRP
    Call the time it takes to go from row lookup mode to column lookup mode tRCD
    Call the time it takes to get to the right column tCL (aka CAS)

When you see something like 2-2-2, it means that

tCL = 2 tics of the clock
    tRCD = 2 tics of the clock
    tRP = 2 tics of the clock

For a total of 6 tics of the clock to get that memory? Unfortunately it's not THAT simple. However, it does help describe key elements of access timing and provides a simplistic approach that can help with understanding.

IF all the memory you want is in the same row (for example), then you can operate in what is called a PAGE (sort of like burst) mode and not have to do row lookup (tRP) and mode change (tRCD) all the time- just keep going to the right column (tCL). This makes for MUCH faster operation. If your memory operations are more random, then much more time is added when you must change rows and do all the operations.

This Article explains it in more technical detail.

The last number (tRAS) is something I'm not entirely sure of, but I think Mac could correct or clarify this. This is what I've picked up on the web. I look at it as the minimum number of tics that the Row Address Select (RAS) must be held to make a complete and stable memory access.

Still, each number defines how long it takes to do a particular operation of a memory access. The effect can be partial or cumulative depending an what's involved. The smaller one number is, the faster the memory is in that aspect and if ALL the numbers are smaller than another memory's, the memory is faster across the board. Because CAS (Column Address Strobe or Select) can be the most active signal, it generally has the most effect. That's why the term is used so much.

EDIT: Sorry for all the editting- had a lot of interruptions and mistakes to fix.

Hope this helps!
    edited March 2006
    Yeah ask Mac about all that ...I was going by something I read at xtreme. My mushkin must not be tccd either if it doesn't come in 1gb sticks.

The best thing about the ocz besides the tighter timings is that you get tech support right here at short-media ...from Mac! Ask him what he'd recommend.