help!! Radeon 9800 Pro Too Hot?

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Hi,
I beleive my computer hardware problem is my graphics card

radaeon 9800 pro,
latest drivers and such, but when i play games .
warcraft 3, cs source, tribes vegeance etc, it freezes and i gotta reboot!
this occours from time to time,
ive installed 3 new fans over the last 2 days and still get the same problem ,

im sorta a noob on computers so if u use really technical stuff i really wont know what ur on about,

reason why i think its the heat is cause when i put a normal fan used for humans next to the computer with the case open, it doesnt happen at all, also it reaches around 72 degrees when playing games otherwise averagely its around 50 degrees, donno if thats normal at all
really need help on this!

ive enclosed a diagram of my computer and where the fans are incase that helps

and my specs
mycomp.jpg

512 ream
120hdd
2.6ghz
p4

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Your GPU (graphics processing unit - graphics chip on the video card) may be overheating. Your card should have a small fan mounted on the card. Yes? Does it spin when the computer is running? Is it clogged with dust?
  • edited April 2006
    yep, definately, thats the tiny fan under it its made of copper and i changed it 1 hour ago, and i used the silver greese thing, and the old one i still have and was really dusty,
  • edited April 2006
    If those temps are for your graphics card and are accurate they arnt really anything to worry about. Temps like that are fairly typical of a GPU.

If your CPU is reaching 70 degree temps then start worrying. What sort of case temps are you getting? More fans is sometimes counter productive.
  • edited April 2006
    dont know what the case is called, has a "duel bios" sticker, its black looks cool =D

also, ive come to learn that my grapics card is overclocked
    ull all probly no what that means so the best solution would be make it back to normal or under clock it right?

hjow do i do this?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    rapture-IC wrote:
    If those temps are for your graphics card and are accurate they arnt really anything to worry about. Temps like that are fairly typical of a GPU.

If your CPU is reaching 70 degree temps then start worrying. What sort of case temps are you getting? More fans is sometimes counter productive.

72C is pretty hot for a GPU unless your running a 6800 Ultra. The average GPU temp across all ships is around 52C with 65 to 68C under full load.
    First off welcome to Short-Media.com

Now if you put your hand over the back of the PC do you feel warm aitr blowing out? also just to check the entire PC are all port fans working along with your CPU fan?

To underclock an ATI 9800 Pro just run ATI Tools. you should see options for core speed. If my memory servers me correctly the stock core speed is 325MHz give that a try and see if it runs a bit cooler :)
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    Your airflow looks good to me from your diagram. Seems like your GPU should be getting plenty of cool air.

How much thermal paste did you use? You shouldn't need more then about a grain of rice or half a BB worth, spread on a thin layer across the top of the GPU (use an old credit card or razor blade).

If its not overclocked...that card should be around 60C (+/- 2C) at full load. How fast is your GPU fan spinning? If you have a sticky fan, it may look like its spinning but it could be really slow.
  • edited April 2006
    thermal passte - i used heaps because i wasnt sure hahahaha,
    hope thats not a problem!!

and thanks for everyones replies and help but the problem has been resolved, i restored factory settings of the video card! and everything seems fine
    edited April 2006
    thermal passte - i used heaps because i wasnt sure hahahaha,
    hope thats not a problem!!
    That IS a problem! You should only use a very, very thin layer. The intent is to provide an thermal interface only where there is is not a direct metal to metal contact, meaning that you only need to fill in the nearly microscopic imperfections. I don't know what brand of thermal paste you are using. If it's a silver based paste, take a look at Arctic Silver site's excellent application instructions. If you use too much paste, you are insulating the GPU (or CPU) from it's heatsink, trapping the heat in the heat producing component, not allowing it to dissipate.

The instructions I've linked apply to graphics chips, CPUs, motherboard northbridges and southbridges - essentially any flat chip that uses a heatsink.
  • edited April 2006
    hmm
    is it nesescary to take it off and re do it

also
    i thought i fixed the problem
    but
    it just restarted again during my game!!

any suggestions?

when i put a fan against it, a human cooling fan, it works fine
    edited April 2006
    If the symptoms have reappeared, it would mean, probably, that your card's GPU is still getting too hot. If you want to cool it better then yes, you'll need to remove the heatsink and reapply the thermal paste properly. Sorry, but there's no easier way.
    when i put a fan against it, a human cooling fan, it works fine
    Or, you could leave the case side off and the ventilation fan running. Your choice.
  • edited April 2006
    i checked on other forums ,

http://ryzom.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16299&page=3&pp=10

and this guy has the same problem as me,

he stated his solution was he uninstalled games and drivers and reinstalled them,

i think this sounds too simple to be a solution? what do u guys think ? if its aworth a try ill do it

keep in mind the games were installed when my video card was over clocked into a 9800 PRO when its REALLY a 9800 !

now its a 9800! as normal default,

feedback please!

i think ill change the silver greese as u said though,
    edited April 2006
    Drivers are a main factor for a lot of things... If there is anything to take knowledgeable from the web it is learn from other people's trials and errors. What’s the point of having forms where people help if we are not going to use the advice given or found? If it worked for him it could work for you. I suggest try it. Or even contact him on the matter…
  • edited April 2006
    ok, will try to reinstall uninstall games!!
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    Sledge is right, 72º is pretty hot for a videocard. I have an x800XL and the hottest it gets is about 58 and thats when I'm benchmarking or doing some hardcore gaming. Its usually idle around 44º. I cant really think of anything that hasnt been said already, but like they said re-install the drivers, and try re-seating the heatsink along with some artic silver 5.
    edited April 2006
    will try to reinstall uninstall games!!
    Sledgehammer recommended uninstalling and reinstalling DRIVERS, that is your video card's drivers.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Make sure you also correct your thermal paste problem, as well. It really is running too hot, and too much paste really is a factor in that problem... If it's not the source of this issue, it will be the source of later issues (maybe more serious ones) down the road...
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    Lol you dont want it looking like this

42prosessor1.jpg
    edited April 2006
    tmh88 wrote:

42prosessor1.jpg

There are more issues in that pic than just too much paste...
  • edited April 2006
    Drivers of the video card??
    not the games??

hmm,,

well

when i flashed the video card to make it back to normal and not overclocked, those were deleted i beleive and as i restarted comp it detected new hardware(video card) then i re downloaded the drivers

so im not sure?
    do it or not?
    edited April 2006
    Okay do this....

Delete all your video card drivers! unistall the Control panel, the drivers anything that is ATI unistall it.

Restart the comp when finished.

Now install the new drivers. if at all possible make sure all your games have the latest patches as well. Some my contain bug issue fixes that might have been causing temps to rise.
  • edited April 2006
    done / problem persists
    edited April 2006
    hmmm, let me think of a few other things... but you could have a piece of failing hardware... but I don't think that is the problem....
  • edited April 2006
    any great thoughts?
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2006
    What’s the point of having forms where people help if we are not going to use the advice given or found?
    Did you replace the thermal compound? The easy answer may not be the answer.
  • edited April 2006
    is that the grease thing?
    edited April 2006
    yes it is the compound that goes ontop of the GPU core.... please tell me you didn't forget to put that on!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    tmh88 wrote:

42prosessor1.jpg

Looks pretty good so long as he was using phase cooling ;)
    edited April 2006
    yes it is the compound that goes ontop of the GPU core.... please tell me you didn't forget to put that on!

Sledgehammer: He didn't forget. He put on too much, and needs to clean it and reapply.

kc-ok-la: Did you do that yet?
  • edited April 2006
    not yet,

where do i buy it from
    and also,

is this likely to be the problem?
    i got a tube with the fan i put in , and i used like almost the entire thing because i didnt no what to do with it and assumed 1 fan 1 needle thing for it so use it lol
    wish i kept it,
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Wow, that is quite a lot of paste you've used then. Clean it off as soon as possible like everyone's said before. What they didn't tell you is what to get rid of it with, use a rubbing alcohol. Visit your local drug store to pick some up - Isopropyl Alcohol 90% is what I use, I think anything above 70% does the trick. Don't expect to spend more than $.99 on a large bottle of it, the stuff's cheap.

Use the link provided on page one for guidance on how to reapply it properly.

You can buy thermal paste from any computer store, I'd recommend the "Arctic Silver" brand. If stores fail you, visit newegg.com.