help!! Radeon 9800 Pro Too Hot?

13»

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    This Antec 430Watt model may only be rated at 430, but it actually has more power where your computer needs it. It has a 26 Ampere rating at the 12v "rail", which is very good. Also, the Antec is available for in Australia, so you avoid costly international shipping.

The Super Flower model you linked only has an 18Amp rating for the 12v line. It's decent and looks cool, but the Antec is better in my opinion.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    is there anytrhing else i should know
    eg wattage, compatability etc
    specifications if possible!

Total power ratings, such as 430, 400, 500, and 600 Watts don't really mean all that much, unless you know the brand to be top quality. On the data labels, if the 12v line is low, don't even think about it! I would consider 18amps on the 12v line to be the minimum these days. Also, this may sound silly, but generally the heavier the PSU is, the more likely it is high quality. Why? Usually quality windings and heatsinks in a PSU just make it heavier. Also look for power on/off switches. Also look for good, thick wires.

A good quality 400Watt PSU will serve you better than a poor quality 550 Watt unit. There is a lot of junk PSUs on store shelves. Be careful.

Do a search here at Short-Media for "PSU" and "Power Supply" and you'll be learning even more.
  • edited May 2006
    Hi, i just was looking at this forum, and i recently buyed an 9800pro (i think that is a 9800 flashed to 9800pro), with an Artic VGA Silencer and heatsinks in the memories, and i run the FEAR game,and i see that the core isn´t too hot, but the memorys heatsinks are hot, and i´ve measured the temps with a digital tester, and i see it´s to a max of 58ºC, is that a normal temperature for a videocard memory?, if anybody wants, i can send some pictures of my card, thanks in advance for any help ;)
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    flaviote wrote:
    Hi, i just was looking at this forum, and i recently buyed an 9800pro (i think that is a 9800 flashed to 9800pro), with an Artic VGA Silencer and heatsinks in the memories, and i run the FEAR game,and i see that the core isn´t too hot, but the memorys heatsinks are hot, and i´ve measured the temps with a digital tester, and i see it´s to a max of 58ºC, is that a normal temperature for a videocard memory?, if anybody wants, i can send some pictures of my card, thanks in advance for any help ;)

Hi Flaviote, welcome to Short-Media! :cheers:

In regards to your memory temperature, I'd consider that to be about normal (actually, probably even better than normal). That memory can get real toasty. I know on my old 9800 pro, I couldn't keep my finger on it for anything longer than a second or so.

I never turn down hardware pictures! post them up! :)
  • edited May 2006
    Thanks, here i send some pictures of my hard (some are out of focus :( ), with my finger the temp is hot too, if if press the heatsink, i can support the temperature for about 4-5 seconds, i have a cooler that goes directly to 4 of the 8 memories, when i touched it i haven´t the cooler on, another question, if i down the memories frecuencies from 337,5 to 310, i would see too much difference of performance??, thanks again, and here is the pics:

img00084kk.th.jpg img00108sf.th.jpg

img00058ng.th.jpg img00068vi.th.jpg
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    flaviote wrote:
    Thanks, here i send some pictures of my hard (some are out of focus :( ), with my finger the temp is hot too, if if press the heatsink, i can support the temperature for about 4-5 seconds, i have a cooler that goes directly to 4 of the 8 memories, when i touched it i haven´t the cooler on, another question, if i down the memories frecuencies from 337,5 to 310, i would see too much difference of performance??, thanks again, and here is the pics:

Looks good! I don't think you'll see a significant performance decrease going from 337 to 310. It'll show up in benchmarks, but it will likely only be 1-2FPS in real world gaming--probably less.

Are you getting any artifacting or issues with your graphics card? Even with good coolers like yous, they will still be hot to the touch. I'd consider that pretty normal.
  • edited May 2006
    Thanks, i will see what happens with the lower memory clocks, but i haven´t any problems with the card, it runs pretty well i have no artifact and no issues, but before of this card i have a 9600NP card, that have passive cooling, and when i see work this 9800pro i get scared about the temps, thanks again for the help.....