Opteron 170 OC to 2.3ghz

2»

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    mdalegre wrote:
    I opened the side of my case and it did drop by 4 degrees C, but it is still much higher than what most people on the board are getting. I will be changing the fan on the stock HS like you suggested. Is it possible that Asus Probe isn't reading correct?

Highly probable captain ...but good enough for a go-by.

Sounds to me like you need some better case cooling/flow as well.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    As far as I know, Asus Probe is very accurate in reporting the temperatures that the board sensors indicate. I've used Probe on six motherboards, all which had the same readings in the BIOS as in Probe. It could be your motherboard and CPU sensors are off. If your temps are lowered by 4*C when the case side is off, your case is not ventilating well, or the cooler air in the case is not getting to the heatsink's fan.
  • edited April 2006
    So you did see a bit of dropoff in your temps when you removed the case side, mdalegre. That's telling that your Pabst fans either aren't moving enough air or that there is something affecting the airflow to the cpu area.

Also, what are the actual room temps that this computer is running in? If it is in a heated room hotter than 28° C or so, you have environmental factors affecting your cooling, since you can't cool the case below ambient unless you use some kind of active cooling measure like ducting AC into the case or something along that line.

If your room temps are decent, try one more thing: put a fan of some sort blowing at the mobo to totally eliminate any chance of a cooling dead spot in the case and see if the temps go down further. If they don't (especially the mobo/case temp), then I would say that your mobo is giving you erronously high temp readings.
  • edited April 2006
    Omega65 wrote:
    I recently changed to AMD's newest 4 pipe heatsink and temps are now Idle 38C - Load 55C
    This makes me feel a bit better. I just installed a 170 on A8R32-MVP this evening and it started at about 35C, and after leaving it on for several minutes just at the bios screen, so basically idle, it settled at about 38C. I will be putting a thermalright SI-120 & Delta 120x25mm fan on it next week, so hopefully I see some improvement. Haven't set the machine up yet, so I don't have any load temps at this point.

My stepping is CCBWE 0551UPMW, should I expect to be able to get ~2.6ghz from this chip on air w/ the SI-120 & Delta fan?

Also, in regards to AS5 on the opteron chips, is it the same with A64/P4 where you put only a small BB sized drop in the middle, or should I use a spreader and put a thin layer of AS5 Evenly across the chip as someone in this thread mentioned?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Go to Arctic Silver's website. They have an excellent guide with high quality pictures on exactly how to apply their paste on different types of chips. I'm not ignoring you, but it seldom that a manufacturer supports its products as well as Arctic Silver does.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited April 2006
    You will find the instructions and links here,
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?p=376623#post376623
  • edited April 2006
    Leonardo and Esso, those are the instructions I followed. Someone mentioning a thin layer evenly across the IHS in this thread threw me for a loop. Thanks for the verification. What about the stepping processor I have?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    psupef2k wrote:
    Leonardo and Esso, those are the instructions I followed. Someone mentioning a thin layer evenly across the IHS in this thread threw me for a loop. Thanks for the verification. What about the stepping processor I have?

Hi psuperf2k,

The 0551UPMW chips are a decent stepping. I don't think 2.6 is unreasonable from that chip, but it tends to like some volts to behave. Definitely let us know how it goes :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2006
    If my chip is ~40C at idle also, wouldn't the stock HSF be warm to the touch? It is not really warm at all. Maybe my 2 year old AS5 is not doing the trick. I ordered a new tube, along with an Thermalright SI-120 & Delta 120x25mm fan. Should have it all next week. Hopefully that helps my temps?