New Build Problems please HELP!

edited May 2006 in Hardware
I have recently purchased all my parts for my computer. I received it a few days ago. I put everything together. So i press the power button, I was suprise to find that it start it up (nothing was diaplayedon monitor) for a few seconds and just shutdown. All fans and light where on. So i decided to trouble shoot and take one peace out at the time to see what would happen. I took everything out and it still turn off. So i took out the CPU and that was the only time that it stayed on. The CPU was a little warm but even still i have a heat sink so i dont think it is that my CPU is over heating. I dont know what it could be, any ideas?

Motherboard:Asus P5ND2-SLI Socket 775 Motherboard
CPU:Intel P4 651 3.4Ghz HT 2M 800FSB Socket 775
Video Card:eVGA GeForce 7800 GT CO
Ram:Buffalo Select 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz
Power Supply:450w

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    When you start (try to start the computer), how long is it on before it shuts off?

Are you using thermal paste in between the heatsink and the CPU? If the answer is no, do NOT start up the computer again until you have applied a thin coat of thermal paste.

Have you reset the BIOS?
  • edited May 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    When you start (try to start the computer), how long is it on before it shuts off?

It varies if i leave it alone for a lil while itll last 10-20sec on. If i keep pressing the power button it will get to the point that it will just shutoff once u press it.
    Leonardo wrote:
    Are you using thermal paste in between the heatsink and the CPU? If the answer is no, do NOT start up the computer again until you have applied a think coat of thermal paste.

The heat sink was installed with Thermal Compound and it still does the samething.

Leonardo wrote:
    Have you reset the BIOS?

Yes i took out the battery and the pin.
  • hbi1000hbi1000 Asheville, NC USA
    edited May 2006
    Do you have the means to check to see if your power supply, which seems a little small, although I don't know your SATA/PATA/CD/DVD/Firewire/USB and other PCI connections. However, you seem to have eliminate things in a step-by-step fashion, which is one of the best troubleshooting methods; and which leads me to the PS itself. Can you substitute the current power supply wtih another, perhaps just borrowed from another box (sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't). Just a thought, hope you find your solution.
  • edited May 2006
    The PSU came with the case and its from what i read it is recomended for the video card and motherboard. That still doesnt explain why if you keep pressing the power button the time that it takes to shutdown varies. Do you think that i need to upgrade the power supply and to how much?
  • edited May 2006
    what brand is the psu?

bikerboy
  • edited May 2006
    its a ATX Switching Power Supply that came with case.
  • hbi1000hbi1000 Asheville, NC USA
    edited May 2006
    Hi,
    I'm a little confused when you say "pushed the button," as that seems to indicate you are using the power on/off button usually located on the front panel of most boxes. This switch is under the BIOS control of the Power Management Function (correct me those of higher knowledge if I'm wrong), and can be set to varying seconds of response. I'd be more interested if you had the same problem using the rocker switch (provided on most "good+" PS's; it is usually located near the female power plug, in the rear of the machine (where the PS fan vent is usually located). If you have the same problem there then I would say you need to replace your PS. As PS's are non-FRU (non-field replaceable units), because they can build up very high, even leathal, voltages in their capacitance function of converting AC to DC).

As to your question of how much/large a PS do you need the following web page may be of assistance in assisting you here: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/;
    it has a neat inventory from CPU to adapter cards of what is in your case and will recommend a minimum PS requirement. However, remember always install a larger PS than the minimum requirements (by at least 50%, as you have to consider future system upgrades and add-ons).

I'd be interested in your findings, so keep posting. Don't forget to read about Folding@home and join Team 93.

HBI1000
  • edited May 2006
    First does the PS have a 24 pin plug for the mobo? or does it use a adaptor?

Second Are the other 2 power plugs plugged into the mobo?(there is a square one with 4 pins and one that looks like a cd power connector)

Third do you have 1 video card? Is the mobo set to SLI?

Have you tried moving the memory to different slots?

Im pretty sure the PS that came with the case is "NOT" made for SLI or even a 7800. Usually they say 450 Watts but really are much less.
  • edited May 2006
    hbi1000 wrote:
    This switch is under the BIOS control of the Power Management Function (correct me those of higher knowledge if I'm wrong), and can be set to varying seconds of response.

What will happen if i change that?
    hbi1000 wrote:
    I'd be more interested if you had the same problem using the rocker switch

If you mean the little swith where u change the amount of voltage from the 110v to 120v or what ever. i tried changing that and it mess up my power supply so i got it replaced.
    i0esign wrote:
    First does the PS have a 24 pin plug for the mobo? or does it use a adaptor?

Yes it does have a 24 pin I have conected them in the right place and everything.
    i0esign wrote:
    Second Are the other 2 power plugs plugged into the mobo?(there is a square one with 4 pins and one that looks like a cd power connector)

Yes they are. There put in the correct place and everything.
    i0esign wrote:
    Third do you have 1 video card? Is the mobo set to SLI?

I have 1 video card the 7800 and its set to single SLI.
    i0esign wrote:
    Have you tried moving the memory to different slots?

I tryied putting them in a different slot, all 4 different slots and still nothing.

so i recently connected the motherboards speaker and all i get is one long beep. the thing that doesnt make sense is that if it is the power supply why does it keep turning off and if i leave it alone for a little while it last longer on, but if i keep pressing the power button it turns off even faster.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Try taking everything out of the case and rebuild the computer on your workbench or table. Set the motherboard on the box it came in when you do that. Then see if your luck changes. :)
  • edited May 2006
    Isant 1 long beep a memory problem?

do you have other memory or another computer to test your memory on?
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    Why not get a good brand PSU for around $30 like mine. It's an antec. Here's a link to a thermaltake. I only did a minute or so of searching. I;m sure the guys here could help you find a really nice one for the same price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023
  • edited May 2006
    I rebuild it all out side the case it did the samething. I was reading the manual for the motherboard just now and talks about how if the system doesnt have enough power it will be unstable. This mobo is design to run on SLI. Even with one video card it has "single video SLI" now the video card that they have in the manual is the 6800. Now when i looked at the 7800 if you want to run SLI the minimum for the card is 500w. So it could be the PSU after all. Im trying to see if i can get a spare to test my theory. In your opinions is this a good PSU? or do you think i will need more power:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1273338&Tab=0&NoMapp=0
  • edited May 2006
    What is the case you are using?
    and later on are u going to use SLI?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2006
    maybe it needs a bios update, i cant really think of anything other than that and the PSU....either that or somethings broken.
    edited May 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    maybe it needs a bios update, i cant really think of anything other than that and the PSU....either that or somethings broken.
    I'd agree with everyone else about trying a different PSU.

As for the BIOS flash, that's a good idea, but don't risk it until the rest of the system is relatively stable. If it cuts out on you in the middle of a flash you're going to end up either paying someone else to reflash it for you, or buying a whole new chip altogether. :eek:
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    ...... or buying a whole new chip altogether. :eek:

yea it cost me like $30 to get a new bios chip pre-flashed from asus when I got my system. It wouldnt boot so a friend told me i should try it, and it worked.
    edited May 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    yea it cost me like $30 to get a new bios chip pre-flashed from asus when I got my system. It wouldnt boot so a friend told me i should try it, and it worked.
    That is definitely worth considering. Will3k, what BIOS version is on there now?

(Look on the intitial screen when you first turn the computer on. There should be a version number and a release date listed.)
  • edited May 2006
    The case that I am using is Powmax Blue ATX Mid-Tower Case-450watt. I might use SLI later on not sure.

The thing is that i dont get to the boot screen. I dont get any picture on the screen. Everything begings to power on and then it just shuts off after 20 sec. nothing is displayed just one long beep. I called it in yesterday and they where no help so i decided to get it replaced. To see if that is the case i should be receiving it today. Im hoping that it was the mobo. And what do you think about what i said before about the PSU?
  • edited May 2006
    Did you read my post that 1 long beep a memory problem?

I turned off my comp and removed my memory, than I restarted it and there was a long beep, and black screen. Same like you said. So check the memory in another comp or try other memory in yours.

As to the PS i checked your PS and it MIGHT work a little. It should start at least. Do you have a cheaper Video card to try (the 7800 needs lots of power)

If you are gonna go SLI than get a good PS (600watts min) now so you dont have to get another later.

If you are not sure and 1 videocard if fine for a while than a good 450Watt is fine.

The PS that comes with your comp IS NOT GOOD. It is barely good enough for onboard graphics.

To find a good PS look for the reviews. Some good ones are Silverstone, Antec, Seasonic, Enermax and some people like OCZ. For a good 450 or 520watt you will probably pay about $60-80. For a 600and up PS Figure $100 and up. Dont be cheap with the PS as it is the backbone of your computer.
  • edited May 2006
    I think it can be a ram problem so the mobo has a auto shutdown after it doesnt read the ram. But this is the thing, If i take out the ram it will do the 8 quick beeps saying theres no ram but once u put it back it does one long beep. Im trying to get a ram stick from some of my friends to see if it is that. but no one has DDR2. I think its either the ram, PSU or the Mobo. So today im checking the mobo because the replacement is ariving today, and hopefully by friday i will test the PSU. If it isnt the mobo. I will post my findings tonight.
  • edited May 2006
    Good news the motherboard was a little messed up. It wasnt suppose to shutdown like that. Now the bad news i got the new motherboard and now it stays on, it wont display anything but it stays on that leaves me with one thing. RAM. I now know its not a problem with the PSU but either way i upgraded to a SLI ready 500w PSU. I am ordering the ram today so you should know by tuesday or so. Wish me luck.
    edited May 2006
    Good luck. :wave:
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I have almost have similar problems as yours, on a new rig i am putting together right now.
    I am about to take everthing out of the case, before i rma the mobo.There seems to be no connection btw my graphic card and screen.

I have a total blank screen everything powers on fine, but no blue screen.

Let's know how you get on.
  • edited May 2006
    In most case thats a RAM problem. The ram may not be compatible with your motherboard. And if its like my ASUS mobo its real picky about RAM.
  • edited May 2006
    Well i solved one problem just to find another. I purchased some new ram sticks and the pc powers up and everything turns on it displays something on the screen and everything. everything looks great. now heres the problem, it keeps shuting down. i checked the hardware temperatures and the cpus temp goes up REAL fast like it was counting. after it reaches 75 it shutsdown. what can i possibly do to fix this. and yes i have put thermal compound and still it happens.
  • edited May 2006
    Is your fan running?

Your heatsink is probably not flat on the cpu. Or you are the unluckiest person on earth.

I have built over 400 computers and have not had this many problems on ALL of them together.
  • edited May 2006
    lol i know what u mean. i have upgraded all these things on my other computer n never had this problem but now i try to build it and looks what happens. the cpus temperature was stable at 64 then it started to go up slowly the it was stable at 68 celcious of course then it went up to 70 it was stable there for a good 10 mins then it turned off. i cleaned the heat sink i put it on the cpu and still i feel the hot air around the heat sink and then it shutsdown. what can it be my heat sink is bad or something?
  • edited May 2006
    Mabye its not flat against the cpu

Since you are using a Intel (they run hot)mabye the heatsink is not good enough

Or your CPU is burning up.

What kind of Heatsink and fan are you using? If its the stock one throw it away and get this,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223

PS. open ur case and make sure air is moving..
  • edited May 2006
    Im using the original cpu heatsink that came in the box with the P4. i need a heat sink for a socket 775. dam crap why cant this thing just work. well mines well deal with it now instead of later when it would be worst.