2GB of ONLINE Backup ----- For Free!!

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited May 2006 in Hardware
So I just read about Mozy in PC World. It's an online service that will automatically backup any files you want, up to 2 GB of Storage for free, and pay for 5, 10, and 20 GB. I just backed up all my photos and songs. It's awesome, just thought you guys should know. :cheers:

EDIT: Click this and you'll get 256MB of more space, and so will I!! Oh, I forgot to mention it comes with software so that it can update automatically... Also nice.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    I've got nearly 3GB of space on my Gmail account. How is this different or better? :)
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    I've got nearly 3GB of space on my Gmail account. How is this different or better? :)
    GMail lets you backup?

Oh well, this is better because for every four people you recomend, you get 1 GB more of storage... and it updates automatically in the background. It's taking about 1% of my processing power right now.
    edited May 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    GMail lets you backup?
    Indirectly. You can send stuff to yourself as attachments, and I believe that there are 3rd Party programs which integrate your Gmail account into Windows Explorer.
    ... it updates automatically in the background. It's taking about 1% of my processing power right now.
    Now that is worth having. :thumbsup:
    edited May 2006
    If this thing is about half-way through backing-up, and I hibernate the computer, will it continue updating when I turn it back on, or will it not connect or something?

Prof, did you give me 256MB of free space?? :tongue:

EDIT:
    profdlp wrote:
    Indirectly. You can send stuff to yourself as attachments, and I believe that there are 3rd Party programs which integrate your Gmail account into Windows Explorer.

I thought you could only attach 10 MB in attachments (atleast thats how it is in Yahoo), and also wouldn't that kind of get annoying to send your self attachments everytime you want to backup something?
    edited May 2006
    To be honest, I've never used it for my backups. I have another method I'm already used to.

As for the free space, you talked me into it - look for your extra 256MB. :D
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    You got a shot from me too.

We need to set up so we can share the referrals space after each guys gets the amount he needs. Sorta share the wealth kinda deal.
    edited May 2006
    wrote:
    To be honest, I've never used it for my backups. I have another method I'm already used to.

As for the free space, you talked me into it - look for your extra 256MB.

Thanks, I need as much as I can get. I'm actually thinking of getting an account for my G-Mail and Hotmail accounts so I have a total of 7 Gigs for free!
    wrote:
    You got a shot from me too.

We need to set up so we can share the referrals space after each guys gets the amount he needs. Sorta share the wealth kinda deal.
    Yeah, we need more people to look at this thread....

:topic: BTW How's my new sig? Don't worry I saved the one with all your names.
    edited May 2006
    Hmm, I just checked and I only have 2.2 GB of space. Are you both sure you used that link?
    Oh well, I'm not whining it's still free and convinient. Thanks whoever did use it though.... :thumbsup:

EDIT: NVM, I just read that I get my 256MB AFTER You guys back something up. So Steve, Frank and Don used the link and Don is the only one who backed anything up.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Yep I backed up my Outlook database and my pics and office docs.

Worked quite well but the encryption was pretty slow. Course it didn't matter since it was low usage (1-2%) all the time.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Looks neat, I just don't have anything worth backing up right now.
  • n_ver_endingn_ver_ending "Cloud 9...mind's sky"
    edited May 2006
    Let me ask you guys...will this site give your information out to the government with a letter from the NSA or other depertments?

Qwest is my Hero my the way.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    will this site give your information out to the government with a letter from the NSA or other depertments
    I wouldn't worry about the government. They aren't tracking people's everyday activities (would need to increase NSA's size 10 times for that). I'd be concerned about selling to spammers and such....or worse.

And another question: what is that company's business model? How will they make money? Or is it another pie-in-the-sky enterprise just waiting to fail like before the dotcom bubble burst? I'm not negative, just curious.