tactom is gone, and now so is . . .

a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
edited October 2003 in Folding@Home
BDR???? Say it isn't so!!!

Check her stats, it shows absolutely nothing for 10/9, not even 0! Today there is a 0!

BDR, we need you! Don't make us cry again to get you back!

BTW, tactom, if you happen to read this. We love you too (in a strictly folding way! :D) and we'll welcome you back if you ever decide you want to fold for #93 again!

C'mon, guys! W/ tactom gone (hopefully not forever) and BDR turning into Mrs. MIA (hopefully due to a net-outage) we need to re-double our efforts! I know some (like myself) don't physically have any more machines to add at the moment, but we can try to recruit some more people! Let's all :fold::fold::fold:!!!!!

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2003
    well on the bright side, tactom doesn't appear to be folding for anyone ELSE either (at least under the same user name)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Fear not! In This thread she said she will be folding for Angel_Heather for a while.
    BDR said
    I'll be folding under Angel_Heather for awhile.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    BDR stated she was going to fold under Angel_Heather and it looked that way yesterday with the points spiking, however, today looks like Heather's production is getting back to normal levels.

I guess she was really angry with people mocking Dell machines enough to stop folding with us, that will be true of course if we don't see that spike in Heather's stats again. :(
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Not back to norrmal lvls! i got 2 pcs on Angel_Heather now!
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited October 2003
    If BDR is folding for Angel Heather (will all her power) and mtgoat and gnome, I just might have a fight on my hands I can't hold back! I can't even catch BDR, I definitely can't hold off BDR + mtgoat + gnome!

/me is gonna have his butt kicked.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    tatcom is folding for another team and under another name. He is gone and dearly missed. Always welcome but we did farewell.

Same goes for you BDR.

Fear not, my lab will be coming aboard in about 2 weeks. 2 more weeks then I get a week off and I will hopefully set it up then.
    edited October 2003
    a2jfreak said
    If BDR is folding for Angel Heather (will all her power) and mtgoat and gnome, I just might have a fight on my hands I can't hold back! I can't even catch BDR, I definitely can't hold off BDR + mtgoat + gnome!

* a2jfreak is gonna have his butt kicked.

I don't know now as I haven't seen any new points for a while.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    TBonZ said
    I guess she was really angry with people mocking Dell machines enough to stop folding with us, that will be true of course if we don't see that spike in Heather's stats again. :(

Mocking Dell machines? Oh the nerve!!! I can attribute at least 350k of my points to dell machines alone!!! ;D
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    To be honest, im quite sick of this running around thing to different teams. It REALLY doesnt natter for which team you fold, but it destroys the community feeling over it. Pissed cause of a little Dell bashing? You´re kidding right?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    meh....meh I say!
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    Mackanz... dunno for sure. I made a comment agreeing with Leonardo... specifically, I said that the Dell machines my school has (P4-1.6, 512MB PC133, ATi Rage 128 32MB) run slow as hell, which BDR didn't seem to appreciate... :rolleyes:
    edited October 2003
    Well, I just hope she isn't gone, but just had a net outage, or went out of town and didn't tell us or something. Maybe her old team had a passing and she's folding under someone's username for a little while in honor.

If she did leave, I wish her the best and she knows both she and her points are welcome to come back. She's even welcome to come back w/out her points, but those points are nice! :)
  • edited October 2003
    BDR, I really hope you didn't leave us, gal.:confused: It was really nice to have a lady that knows computers and the project here on the team. You are a shining example of why we need more women involved with our team and the project.:)

Even if you do decided to fold for someone else, be sure to fold. And please stop by to visit, whatever you decide.:)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I made a comment agreeing with either MTGoat or Leonardo

Yes, I made a comment about my office Dell Octiplex computers being horribly slow, but also being completely reliable folders! Reliability is certainly as important as speed.
    edited October 2003
    No matter what she was runninig she was an outstanding contributor. She was making good headway under her own name and added greatly to the efforts of Angel_Heather.
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    Come on guys.. I told ya up front that I also fold for another team and I will continue to switch over and give them a boost sometimes because I owe them, and I can't just walk away.
    (They are a smaller team that is not in competition with S-M)

Yep Mack, I got irritated. I'm entitled to my thoughts and feelings.
    I won't apologise for that now or in the future.

But, if I dissapear for a day or 2, don't assume I've run off.
    I will be back.

If this really messes with your "team spirit" let me know, because this isn't free for me and I want to be where I know my efforts are doing some good. I need to make it worth my while too, you know.

Right now I have 7 rigs running as Angel_Heather.
    I am also running some big 2500 step WU's again, so they will take time to finish. :(

This post is not intended to cause a division here.

No fuss, no muss.
    Everything back to normal... please.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    A gentle reminder that we would do well to remember that it's not WHO one folds for that's important.

Thanks for the explanation, BDR. Mostly, we were worried that something was wrong with your connection/rigs/self.... As always, you can choose to fold for whomever you want. :)
    edited October 2003
    Yay! :) She hasn't left! WooHoo!

Good to see you again, BDR!

// Edit: I hate those 2500 frame WUs too! They take FfFoOoRrReEeVvVeEeRrR to fold!
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Um, thou shalt NOT mock Dell-- one guess what this SITE runs on?? Though NOT the STOCK O\S!

Actually, I have a lot of customers VERY happy with their Dells, and the local library has gone to Dell systems. Basscily, they offer vlaue for money and sell ENOUGH that they can buy at very good prices and in bulk. People want AMD machines, Dell is responding, and soem servers are coming available with Opteron CPUs.

I like Dell better than Compaq and\or HP.

Others, ALL majors make top end and lower end, and Optiplex is a Business line-- BDR, your boxes are neat and very welcome to fold with us.(Don't get me wrong, it is the heart that counts and you prove you have a good one by running that many boxes for Folding@Home AT ALL and any help you give you are hereby thanked for with a LOAD of thanks. :) )

John-- who can only afford to run TWO boxes right now.
    edited October 2003
    Ageek... both you and BDR are entitled to your opinions, just as she said. Personally, I despise most off-the-shelf systems & MFRs, because I've worked on enough of them to discover that they seem to do a lot of stuff bass-ackwards, and sacrifice quality for cost savings (although, given that they have to make money, that's not all that surprising). Dell and Compaq are at the top of my list of most-hated MFRs, quickly followed by Apple, HP, Gateway, etc.

I realize the site runs on a Dell/Dells. I gave Prime & Shorty a hard time about that the day I signed up, which was like the day after the site went live...

However, if you like them, you know... suit yourself. I won't try to talk you out of it. However, if someone asks for my opinion on them, I will give them my honest answer, which is that I think they're a ripoff, because you can generally buy/build something better for less by going to a local company.
    edited October 2003
    I'm sorry I forgot you were going to go back to help on occassion, which is even more honorable in my book! As i said before, you are an oustanding contributor. A class flolder is a class folder, period! Glad you're here! :D:thumbsup::wave:
  • edited October 2003
    Glad to see that you are still around, BDR.:) As far as the Dell bashing goes, it sounds more like jealousy that you have so many rigs than anything else to me.;) And csimon laughed all the way to his #1 position on the team with his Dell rigs he has charge of.;D

I don't care what you fold with, as long as you fold. I personally fold with my Dell laptop along with all the other rigs in my farm and it will produce between 200-250 points/week, depending on the WU's it draws.

Fold on and be sure to come and shoot the breeze a bit.:fold:
    edited October 2003
    Ageek: Where did you hear that Dell will start using Opteron? Everything I've seen lately indicated that Dell will not go down the AMD-route anytime in the near future.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    John, that's a great point: This site runs on a dell! ;D

However, a2jfreak is right - at this time, Dell has roundly rejected any AMD offerings in their servers, workstations, or desktops.

But still, every machine and manufacturer has its place. Dell makes great cookie-cutter boxes for a good price. I recommend them all the time. I own three, myself.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Thanks for the head's up BDR and like primes said, we really didn't know for sure what could of happened. Sometimes the speculation can seem pretty bad but we are a very tight community and can get attached very quick to people who come around here often and we notice when people like yourself leave\take a break\fold for another Team.

Next time, I will know that everything is alright and I'll assume first that you're giving your other team a quick boost. :)
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    Thanks guys, and Geeky1, love your disclaimer. ;D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    WHAT!! This site is on a DELL!! omgwtf

hehe. I dont care for some of the things they do and the way they cut corners on cooling. Propriatary is the most hated part of Boxed machines. Cant stand it. Had a Packard Bell that was that way and guess where they are now?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    BDR said
    Thanks guys, and Geeky1, love your disclaimer. ;D

I wonder if that disclaimer is a work of Shortster?
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited October 2003
    Most of us around 16 to 21 probably started on a Dell, HP, or Packard Bell way back in the day. I personally started on a Dell myself, and my second PC was an Alienware (Alienware > Dell :D )

My next one will be bought from parts. I had no idea how to build a PC when the Alienware was bought :)
    edited October 2003
    Mackanz...

No, I put that in myself. :D