Who cares?

DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
edited October 2003 in Folding@Home
Sorry if this sounds rude, but why do people have to post as if the world is ending every time someone doesn't submit a WU for a few days? It's just folding!

I really don't see how anyone can sit and talk about a program they run in the background for more than 5 minutes.

/me braces for teh flames!

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    people ask other people when their WU isn't turning in because we FOLDERS care about each other. and we are very competative, we want every bit of help we can get.
  • DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
    edited October 2003
    I'd say "it's just a game", yet, it isn't even a game...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    DOSMAN said
    Sorry if this sounds rude, but why do people have to post as if the world is ending every time someone doesn't submit a WU for a few days? It's just folding!

I really don't see how anyone can sit and talk about a program they run in the background for more than 5 minutes.

* DOSMAN braces for teh flames!

Agreed. Despite the statements of some along the lines of "We do it to help the community. Competition is just a bonus..."

It sure seems like some of these "OMFG WHERE SI TEH xxxx MEMBER OF SI FOLDINZG?!!?!?!?!11@#$@#$" threads are poorly-guised topics whining about the loss of a member beyond their control.

Particuarly in reference to BDR. Every time I turn around, she's giving a few points to another team as she is allowed to do, and people flip out.

For something all being in the spirit of the project, sure seems point-greedy around here.

Some of you may think that the threads are "Checking up" and "Caring." I really don't see anything but "OMFG. YOU CAN'T GIVE POINTS TO ANOTHER TEAM." threads.

:shakehead
  • edited October 2003
    Like leishi said, there happen to be some people here that are very competitive and want to help someone out if they are having problems with folding. Plus, we are definitely a tightly knit team and try to help each other out as much as possible, to maximize our folding ability. You evidently don't fold for a team so you don't understand what kind of team spirit that can be generated by an online team. It's kind of like a sports team in that you don't want to see one of your team mates down with an injury (broke rig) or doesn't understand the play calling (having problems with the software). ;)
    edited October 2003
    I'm on a SETI team and we are probably ranked about 1 millionth.

But I don't care about "competition", I just run it so my CPU cycles dont go to waste.
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited October 2003
    I hate to tell you but they are definatly going to waste running seti.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Folding benefits from the competition - if the competition wasn't there, not as many people would fold, and people wouldn't try so hard to maintain a high number of machines and points.

So, competition helps the project.

Now, with that in mind, whenever you have competition, you have people who are naturally competitive. Comptetiveness breeds these kinds of "caring" threads that you mention.

It's just basic human psychology, brother. That's why people care.
  • edited October 2003
    tis amusing
    edited October 2003
    If I want competition, I'll go watch the Cubs. I don't see the thrill in running a computer program.
  • edited October 2003
    if no answer if going to satisfy you then why ask.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited October 2003
    DOSMAN said
    If I want competition, I'll go watch the Cubs. I don't see the thrill in running a computer program.

Aren't they playing right now? Maybe you should go do that...
  • edited October 2003
    Al_Capown said
    DOSMAN said

Aren't they playing right now? Maybe you should go do that...

wait! this is fun.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    They did earlier today I think.

DOSMAN: If you dont like what goes on in here, you dont have to come in here. Its your choice.

We like FAH, you like SETI. Thats all. I dont see the point in looking for aliens, you dont see the point in what we do. O well, life goes on.
    edited October 2003
    The Cubs lost :(.

I'm just saying it looks dumb to see people so enthused about 1 member folding for someone else for a day.
    edited October 2003
    I agree with you there, Dossy, but as I said - it's just the natural reaction to competition.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    For the same reason people can go on and on about a football team's quaterback being injured... and that really is just a game. I don't see anybody having folding parties to get plastered and yell at their computer or go around painting giant red cogs on their chests... ;D
  • edited October 2003
    General Keebler said
    I don't see anybody having folding parties to get plastered and yell at their computer or go around painting giant red cogs on their chests... ;D

not yet ;)
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited October 2003
    General Keebler said
    I don't see anybody having folding parties to get plastered and yell at their computer or go around painting giant red cogs on their chests... ;D

Well I guess you havn't been over to my house then. :mullet:

J/K
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    DOSMAN, I understand your sentiment. Let me provide an anology.

I don't give a whit about sports, unless I'm playing. I think it completely hilarious how people can get so emotional over "silly" football and baseball games in which they aren't playing. It's so darned simple: one team wins, one team loses. OK, team X loses someone in position B. OK, team Y moves a ball up a grassy field more than any other team. Wow, the world changes over such momentous events, doesn't it! Pretty friggin' simple - one team wins, another loses.

BUT, anyone who takes joy in spectator sports and finds it valid recreation, so be it. Whatever floats the proverbial boat.

OK, away from the metaphor of spectator sports. I said I understood your sentiment. Yes, we Team 93 members do often make it appear as if the world were coming to an end. It's more team-talk than genuine emotional turbulence. If we were really as keyed up as it might appear to outsiders, this team would have imploded two years ago! We all respond on our own unique emotional level.

Let the guys do their high fives when their favorite team on TV does something special. Let us whoop it up or gesture in despair when we experience something special, either negative or positive.

Thanks for your question. It gave us an opportunity to talk about our team - something we never tire of.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    General Keebler said
    Great idea Keebs ...how bout after the lan party??? :fold:
    edited October 2003
    omg! Chris changed his avatar! NOW what am I going to do?!!?!?!
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited October 2003
    I'll address DOSMAN's question, and Thrax about BDR.

DOSMAN: Why care? Because everyone wants his/her team to do well. The project might benefit the same if the WU goes to team XXX rather than team YYY, but why care about football? It's just a game where guys slap each other on the butt and grunt and moan and throw the dead flesh of an animal through the air. I don't know that anyone has acted like it's the end of the world, but we all want to know if the person who has not submitted a WU is gone from the team or had an interuption in connectivity or is sick. What's wrong with that?

Thrax: I started the BDR thread so I'll take on this question. I did not flip out and I hope you didn't see it that way. I'm not going to say no one flipped out, but some people react differently.

Point greedy? Yeah, sure . . . I admit I want the points. Not that I wouldn't fold if I no longer had any points, but I definitely wouldn't have the same passion about it. If shooting a basket in the NBA made no difference and teams just played to play that would take a lot of spark out of the game. How then is it wrong to be "point greedy" for a F@H team? This is actually a cause that could benefit mankind, whereas the NBA probably won't bring us the cures for diseases.

Does BDR have the right to submit points for other teams? She sure does. Check my posts--I wished her well. Sure, I wanted her to stay with us (I wasn't sure if she had left or not) but I wisher her well and let her know we'd welcome her back if she wanted to come back (if she had infact left).

I think perhaps DOSMAN and Thrax are blowing this a bit out of proportion. After all, isn't it Thrax that wanted Prime to put the Opteron under a different username to "see how many points it produces" when I think most people saw that as "so you don't gain any more points on me." Why care? Why not just check the logs and see how many points were produced? Why not have the Opteron fold for team #33 (HardOCP)? Why not fold as anonymous? Why not fold for any team? When Thrax brings on his lab of Durons I know those machines aren't going to fold under "a2jfreak," but why? If it's not greed why would you care if I surpass you in points?

I'm a kettle, and I think you're a pot.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect said
    omg! Chris changed his avatar! NOW what am I going to do?!!?!?!
    LOL ...plan a cog party!!! hehe

what would the code be (ie: rrggbb) for getting a color to match my fish? I had one as a pet once!!! :fold:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Proportion is relative to the person viewing the situation.

That is, in fact, the way I see it. Say what you please, change my mind you probably won't.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited October 2003
    I definitely agree that proportion is relative because it all comes down to perspective. We shall agree to disagree one the other points.

Enough talk, let's :fold::fold::fold:
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    Fold for whatever team you want, as long as you are contributing. It's participation that counts.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Enough talk, let's :fold::fold::fold:

Crud! And I was just starting to get cranked up for making fun of spectator sports!
  • edited October 2003
    I love catching shoepick on light tackle!
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited October 2003
    DOSMAN said

/me braces for teh flames!

Sorry if this sounds rude, but why do people have to post to ask why somebody is doing something they don't understand?
    People are concerned about folding, It's called community, something this forum is big on. Personally I'm not bothered who does what as long as its not whinging about what somebody else is doing. Live and let live! Harmoniously.

bothered.
    edited October 2003
    bothered said
    Personally I'm not bothered....

Boy, I'm confused now.... :scratch: